What's new

Help me choose a Sub (1 Viewer)

nik k

Agent
Hello everyone,
I am looking to get a sub to compliment my JBL NSP1 set(N-center and six nsp1's). I have narrowed my search down to the Polk PSW404, Polk PSW450, Sony SAWX700, Sony SAWM500, or Velodyne CHT-10. I really did not like the JBL subs. Any suggestions? Any others i should think of considering or any features i should look for to help me make my decision? Thank you.
nik

Ron Daily

Grip
Nik, before you buy one of the subs you mentioned you should check out the svs subs at svsubwoofers.com and read some of the reviews from all the very happy svs owners. I must be crazy reccomending a sub i don't even own yet but i've heard nothing but great things from svs owners and i will be buying one next month without ever hearing it first.I am very confident it will exceed my expectations no matter which model i decide on getting. I hope this helps.
Ron ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The best thing with SVS is the return policy - you can get the sub and then compare it.:)

dajaga

Stunt Coordinator
hey you should try to find a paradigm pw2200 sub. im getting one prolly next week. its going to cost me about 900 in canadian dollars for it

Dan D Burke

Agent
I have the Athena AS-p300. It's a nice little sub with plenty of power and fairly tight base. If there is a best buy around you go and give it a listen.

I demo'd the other subs you have listed and found the Athena to sound tighter, cleaner and powerful.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
nik,
how much are you willing to spend on a sub? Do you have a max amt?
If you can reach to the $600 limit get a SVS cylinder or box sub...
or even a HSU vt2.

Curt C

Agent
I'd certainly audition the Velodyne CHT-10, or CHT-12. If you purchase at Circuit City you can return if not satisfied. Great subs for the money.
Curt

nik k

Agent
Thanks for all the replys. Chad I want to spend max $500 on a single sub. Take into account this is most likely buying online and price matching etc so there is room to play. Ill check out the SVS subs on their site and the others you have mentioned. I ahve heard the sony's are a good bang for the buck, which means more money for other components. I have moved from an apartment to a house so i finally have the ability to find a good sub to enjoy. I am leaning towards a sub that is tight (not just loud), amplified fairly well, will last, and will satisfy my girlfriend (i know some of you have to deal with the wife factor, same premise).
nik

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Nik,
If you don't want to have to upgrade your sub for a long time look into SVS, HSU, Adire. They put the others to shame......Example: I went from a 8" kenwood to a 12" Acoustic Research which I though was a improvement to a SVS 25-31pci to a 25 -31 PC Plus. I can't even compare the AR to the SVS
1) the SVS is double the price
2) the SVS puts the other to shame
3) the price of the kenwood/AR could have bought me the SVS though SVS wasn't around when I bought that kenwood.
I don't need to upgrade my sub for a long time.....even if I would it would be another SVS just bigger/better.Also is this your first subwoofer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks