What's new

Need help choosing a sub (1 Viewer)

Lou308

Auditioning
Real Name
Lou
Hi everyone,

I’m in process of updating an older system. Got a new receiver (Denon AVR-X2600H) and new front and center speakers (B&W 600 series). Next is the sub, I was looking at SVS and friend told me about REL.

This is mostly for movies with some music. I was told I should get a ported sub? I’m looking for general help as well as specific suggestions. Ported vs non, SVS vs REL or any other suggestions are welcome.
thanks in advance

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Lou,

Ported vs sealed is really more about output, as ported subs can typically play a little louder with the same power as a sealed sub. The trade-off is that sealed subs can sound "tighter" or punchier.

Do you have a budget in mind? How large is the room you are working with?

Lou308

Auditioning
Real Name
Lou
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. The living room is about 20' x 15' but it is furthest south part of a wide open main floor that spans the entire base of the house.

Sorry I noticed the sticky note just recently with the standard questions.

I am not as concerned on the budget as much as getting a sub that will be the best fit. I would like to stay under $1,000 but I do see some options in the $1,299-1,399 range that I could be talked into. I'm not looking to shake the couch around the room, as fun as that does sound. I have two young kids, 5 & 2 that sleep directly above so having too much bass for movies could cause other issues. I only know of the SVS subs but I see they can be tuned via an app which seems appealing. maybe it's just not that easy, I do not know.

I also thought about two smaller subs, one near the TV and the other behind the couch somewhere to throw another option into play. I have an older Onkyo sub that was part of a full package from 8 or so years ago hooked up at the moment.

Right now the main usage is for regular TV and movies with maybe 10-15% for music.

There are five older sony wired satellite speakers that are in use. Those will be the next project.

Thanks again for your help. Let me know if you need any more info

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Lou,

Given your use case, two subs would definitely be the best option. Our sponsor SVS is currently having a black friday sale, so this is the perfect time to buy.

My recommendation would be to use two SB2000's in your room: https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-series

That should get you in at $1000, and also net you a much better overall response. Your Denon's built in Audyssey EQ will help you integrate both subs quite easily, and because of their size, the SB2000's can be easily placed.

If getting a cable to the 2nd sub is a problem, SVS also makes this handy kit for making subs wireless (other than power): https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To add to Dave's comments. He did mention that sealed subs like the SB-2000 are quite small, which is nice in a living space. It's surprising how small the SB-2000 really is. Also, one benefit of sealed subs is that they won't get "sloppy" when they are driven to their limit. Ported subs can, especially the lower priced ones.

I have a SB-2000 in my living room system, and the sale on them is my opportunity to add a second one. I hadn't thought about that.

Lou308

Auditioning
Real Name
Lou
Thank you!!

Just ordered two SB2000's and a wireless kit! Can't wait to try them out

Happy Thanksgiving

Lou308

Auditioning
Real Name
Lou
Hey guys, one more question. I have a very basic RCA cable for my current sub. What do you suggest for a new cable for the one of the new SVS subs? I’m reading about cables with a connecting ground cables. Best Buy wants $50 for one of these cables or I can get one for 1/2 that price on Amazon. Do I need one with the ground connector?

Suggestions?

Thanks again

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Try just using the basic RCA cable and consider upgrading only if you hear a constant hum.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey guys, one more question. I have a very basic RCA cable for my current sub. What do you suggest for a new cable for the one of the new SVS subs? I’m reading about cables with a connecting ground cables. Best Buy wants $50 for one of these cables or I can get one for 1/2 that price on Amazon. Do I need one with the ground connector?

Suggestions?

Thanks again
Would you provide a link to what you're referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks