What's new

Help knowing what to look for (1 Viewer)

Dresgeve

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Hey guys, right now I have a Vizio 42" HDTV and it works great. But the speakers are just "alright". After I built my new computer and put it on here, I got antsy for better sound. I have a set of Bose Companion 2 Series 2 computer speakers from back when I did everything at a desk, but when I hooked them up to the TV (using RCA analog) in such a way that I could control the volume with the TV rather than the speaker dial, the quality was really not much better than the TV speakers. If I put it on "fixed" so the volume was controlled by the speakers, the quality was great. But since I'm playing from a couch and live in a small apartment where noise can become an issue, I'd rather not have to get up to change the volume when things get loud. Anyway, I know electronics, but not much about audio yet. I contacted Vizio to ask their suggestion and they said "The device being connected must be amplified in order to take full advantage of the variable option." (variable being volume control from the TV).

Now here's the deal: I only have about $100 to spend (poor college student, you know). Now I know I won't be able to get killer surround sound or anything like that for that cost, and I'm not trying to. Mostly I'm just looking for something simple (sound bar, dual speaker setup, something like that) that will give me better sound that can be controlled by remote. If it can't be done at all, then hey, I've "survived" on the built in speakers for this long :P The TV has both optical and analog input, so those are my options (that I know of, of course). So what should I be looking for? Do you guys have any suggestions on a sound setup I could get in my price range? Like I said, to give a reference, when the Bose speakers are on "fixed" (controlled by the dial) they sound great in my little apartment, so they don't have to be massive speakers.

EDIT: May be worth noting that my TV does not have a headphone jack in the back for speakers, only the split red/white RCA jacks. I read somewhere that that makes a difference... but like I said, computers and hardware are my thing, not audio :P

So what advice can you guys offer?
Thanks!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Sounds like a soundbar is your future. With that budget you should look at this one. You can also get it here on a referb. I've set this unit up before and for the price it's not bad. It's going to be much better than the speakers in your TV. It has optical, digital coax, and analogue rca inputs so you can connect it to pretty much anything. The wired sub is not big but it does put out decent sound considering.

I think this would fit what you're looking for especially with the budget you have.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It really depends on what you are going for. That unit you linked might sound perfect for what you're going for. However, I normally like the richness of sound that a sub provides. The Philips that I linked has a very small sub that I think would be good for any small space. That is one of the reasons that I liked it for your situation is that it comes with a sub for $100.

The good thing about the unit that you linked is that it has a sub output on it. You can always get that Vizio unit and if you think you need some more bass you can always get a sub to add to it. That will cost you about another $100 though.

The best thing you can do is go listen to these and decide for yourself. I know that several retailers like Target have these setup so that you can go listen to them before you buy. Just be aware that they will sound much different in your apartment vs the open floor of a big box store.

Dresgeve

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Ah, you have a great point about the sub. Rich sound is much more important to me than volume, so I think you're right, a sub would be the best bet for me.I went to Target yesterday and seriously ALMOST bought the sound bar you recommended, but I chickened out last second :P It's still in the running! Just decided to explore a little while longer.So once I read your comment about the sub, it made me wonder: What if I bought a set of computer speakers with a sub? Would that solve the issue my TV has with the sound adjustment? Just to give an example, I saw this set on Amazon for a good price (picked it out of the group for the reviews. Just gives an example.): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095XWY1G?psc=1The reason I ask is that PC speakers seem to run cheaper than official Home Audio speakers, and can often be found with subs and so on. They're smaller speakers, but like I said, the Bose I have sound great in my apartment, so if it weren't for the sound adjustment issue, I'd be all set. Like I said, just exploring every option! Not in a rush to pick, so may as well look around :) I want to understand what I would need for the TV type and such as well.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The main difference between soundbars and computer speakers are the connections. Some computer speakers only have the 1/8 in jack. But if the computer speakers you're looking at can mate with your TV, then you're good.

I've never heard the PC speakers you link to, but they look bad. Also, a 4 inch sub ... is not a sub; it's barely a bookshelf. If you want to go with computer speakers, I highly recommend the Klipsch ProMedia.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397866850&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+computer+speaker

I got them for my son (college student) and now he only listens to music through his laptop. (Instead of his receiver. So yes, I'm disowning him.)

Dresgeve

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Oh yeah, those speakers I linked were really just for reference. But! Doesn't matter now. Read a few more reviews on the sound bar you linked and decided it was what I was looking for after all. Just got it hooked up and playing Black Hawk Down (loudest movie I could think of off hand :P ), and MAN! I keep swapping back to the TV speakers to marvel at how different they sound :P So much more depth to this thing! And as far as having enough sound...I may be apologizing to a neighbor or two as I get it adjusted :P Plenty of volume and range for my little apartment. Tried turning the surround setting on once I got the bass and treble adjusted and you could hear it rumble. Worth every penny so far! Excellent call on the sub too. Perfect for what I need!

Thanks for your help and suggestion! If you'll excuse me, got things to listen to :P

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Grats on the new purchase! I'm assuming that you were referring to Philips that I linked earlier with the included sub. I just hooked it up in one of the bedrooms today since it was going nothing and I'm still happy with the performance of that unit for the price. Even if you got a different model the important part is that you're happy with your new gear. Anything is better than today's tv speakers IMO.

Dresgeve

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Yup, that's the one! Although, the box says it's a 2133 rather than 2123. Same price, and it looks like the only difference is that this one has Bluetooth. Works for me!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm glad I was able to point you in right direction. I really thought that system would be a great fit for you. If yours has Bluetooth then I would consider that a bonus. FYI play around with the sub positioning. I ended up putting it behind the TV yesterday when I set it back up. Sounded better then when it was on the floor and saved space as there was nothing going behind the TV anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks