What's new

Need to replace Sennhauser 160 power adapter unit - Help. (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
The outer plastic covering of all the power adapter wires are disintegrating, and I would like to replace the power adapter. It appears that Sennhauser no longer supplies this adapter and I have to get it elsewhere. However, as strange as it may sound, I know that such adapters are out there, but I really don't know what to look for. Actually, I thought I did, got the adapter and it didn't fit. I've attached some images that show the adapter and the parts that Sennhauser "offered," and would appreciate if someone could simply tell
me where I can order the part online. Thanks.

Font Parallel Circle Design Diagram

Sen160 Parts.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe it's easier to get a second power supply and run each individually on separate power supplies, rather than splitting the output from a single power supply. You can get ones with an assortment of plugs, and you just find which one fits.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that I have to find a DC splitter that has both the female and the two male endings requiring that they be 4.0 mm...according to information for item #534479 from the first image above. Actually, I've been looking for such a splitter and could not find one with those specs???

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Try Sennheiser support. Otherwise, people on ebay are selling the complete system used, complete with the adapter for $40 or so

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Sennheiser is out of stock and apparently won't be making anymore. I did find a place that has it, but they are hosing you for it. Sennheiser sold it for $8; these guys want $13 + $10 for shipping

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sennheiser is out of stock and apparently won't be making anymore. I did find a place that has it, but they are hosing you for it. Sennheiser sold it for $8; these guys want $13 + $10 for shipping
Respectfully, that's called supply and demand. Life is too short and you wouldn't own those headphones if you couldn't afford the requested price. Pay for it and move on.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is just splitting the power from one transformer to two destinations. I still don't know why you can't just get a second transformer and use two, instead of splitting one. This stuff isn't magic. The specs for the transformer are on the label, so get a second one. I do this all the time. Those things burn out, and it's almost always possible to find a cheap, generic replacement. You can even get ones that come with a variety of connectors, like THIS ONE. It needs 5v with enough amperage and a 4mm x 1.7mm plug, which that one has.

I don't know why splitters with that size connector are so difficult to find, but power supplies with those specs are easy to find.

You can find the specs for the transformer HERE, and the data on the one I linked seem to verify it will work.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
That is just splitting the power from one transformer to two destinations. I still don't know why you can't just get a second transformer and use two, instead of splitting one. This stuff isn't magic. The specs for the transformer are on the label, so get a second one. I do this all the time. Those things burn out, and it's almost always possible to find a cheap, generic replacement. You can even get ones that come with a variety of connectors, like THIS ONE. It needs 5v with enough amperage and a 4mm x 1.7mm plug, which that one has.

I don't know why splitters with that size connector are so difficult to find, but power supplies with those specs are easy to find.

You can find the specs for the transformer HERE, and the data on the one I linked seem to verify it will work.
So, if I follow your lead, that will mean that I would have to get 2 transformers. One would be to the headphones (4 mm male end) and the other would be to the transmitter (4 mm male end). As far as I can tell, I couldn't use the original transformer unless I got an adapter that would have two 4 mm male ends. One end into the transformer's 4 mm socket end, and the other into either the transmitter or the headphones, correct?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't realize the output connectors on the splitter were different from the one on the transformer. According to the page you posted it's the same on both ends. 4.0mm, and I'm guessing also both are x1.7mm.

So the question is, will the plug on the transformer you have now plug directly into either of the components?

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I didn't realize the output connectors on the splitter were different from the one on the transformer. According to the page you posted it's the same on both ends. 4.0mm, and I'm guessing also both are x1.7mm.

So the question is, will the plug on the transformer you have now plug directly into either of the components?
Sorry, but I am confused about "...I'm guessing also both are x1.7mm." What is the x1.7mm referring to?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, but I am confused about "...I'm guessing also both are x1.7mm." What is the x1.7mm referring to?
Just please do this for me. Remove the "adapter" that splits the output of the transformer. Will the cable on the transformer plug directly into either/both of the components?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks