What's new

HELP!!! HDTV on RCA DTC100 (1 Viewer)

Tom I

Auditioning
I need some help guys and gals, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry if these are dumb questions but I tried searching the forum for the answers with no success.
I have a new Toshiba 65H80 HDTV and a new RCA DTC100 HD receiver. I only have an S video cable connecting the receiver to the TV along with the audio cables for the time being. I have Not repeat Not hooked up the RGB output from the DTC100 to the TV because I need an adapter for conversion to component outputs.
The current picture is rather fuzzy except when I watch on the high definition station, 199. When I push the HD button on the RCA receiver I get no picture, only sound. The picture looks excellent playing DVD’s.
1. I assume I need to buy the adapter for component output in order to get true HD. Will the picture clear up much after that on all stations?????? Will the picture get even better on the HD station???? I tried to find the adapter at Circuit City and Radio Shack and got dumb blank looks back:-( Any suggestions.
2. If I'm not currently getting true HD why does the HD stations 199 look so much better????
Please help me!!!!!!!!!!. The guys at circuit city say they haven’t even sold a HD receiver yet so I know they are clueless.

Neal_C

Second Unit
The reason the picture is better is probably because that channel is not as compressed as the other channels are starting to become. And you are not seeing true HD because only your component inputs on the tv can pass that signal, not s-video. For standard definition viewing, s-video is the best.
Neal

Tom,
I believe the reason you only get sound and not picture when you press the "HD" button on the receiver is because when you do that, the receiver stops sending signal to the S-video out and diverts it to the HD outputs. The sound, however is still being sent to the stereo or optical outs.
After you connect via HD outputs, the HD channels will look MUCH better, and the non-HD channels will look just a little better since the VGA/Component video connection is superior to the S-video (which is still very good)
If you are hooked up to an OTA antenna, then your receiver should still decode the HDTV signal and output it through the S-Video connection. This will look very good, but obviously not HDTV quality. Station 199 works the same way as your receiver should be taking the satellite HDTV signal (of very high quality) and is converting it to a very clear S-video picture.
I don't know where you can find an adaptor. I have the Mitsubishi unit which does not need an adaptor.
Patrick.
------------------

Rick N

Auditioning
Tom,
Patrick is right!
You are not viewing HD if your are using s-video outputs. When you push the HD button on the front, the video is redirected to the 15pin VGA HD connector on the rear.
Go out immediatly and purchase the adapter. YOU WILL BE AMAZED at the HD. I think the adapter for vga to component is ~80$.
Let us know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks