Toshiba 36HF73 vs. Sony 36HS510 thoughts/opinions/ love 'em/hate 'em?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JeffHayes, Aug 28, 2003.

1. JeffHayes

JeffHayes Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

So far I have only been able to view the 36HS510 in a store and I thought the picture was ok but not great. I saw it at two different places with similar video feeds, i.e. closed loop stuff playing through Best Buy and Circuit City... not HD. I'm trying to locate the Toshiba set, but so far, no luck. I ran to Tweeter to check them out side by side as well and they had neither of the sets... and no longer are a Toshiba dealer. [​IMG]

Anyway... on to the questions:

Anyone using the DVI inputs on either of these with a Samsung TS160 or RCA DTC100 set top box?

Does the Sony have discrete input and power on and power off IR codes? Does the Toshiba have discrete on and off? I know it has discrete inputs.

What are the native rates of each set. I THINK the Sony is 1080i native, but I don't know about the Toshiba (think it MIGHT be 720p).

What are your thoughts on how each set handles SD DirecTV? Most of my watching will be of 4:3 material since that is most of the programming on tv today. I don't see D* making a switch to 16:9 programming any time in the near future as their 4:3 content is pretty poor from a compression artifacts PQ standpoint.

This new tv will be replacing the RCA MM36110 HDTV that blew up and was pronounced dead as of Tuesday. This was the second one of these that had done this to me. Thank goodness for the performance service plan!!!

Thanks for any help,
    Jeff

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Both the Toshiba and the Sony are 1080i native. And stores (particularly big chain stores) rarely set up these sophisticated sets properly. They are good units. Run a search in this section and you will find numerous threads on the HS510-series Sonys.

3. JeffHayes

Thanks, Jack. I searched the forum and read virtually every post on the HS510 series. Only 3 posts were on the HF73 though.. and those were all pretty much just "Anyone know anything" sort of posts.

I noticed alot of mention of fixing the red-push with the service menu tweaks. Is there a particular place that that info resides? I haven't found anything in my searches thus far.

Thanks,
    Jeff

4. JeffHayes

Well it looks like it is not going to matter now. Just spent 2 hours at Best Buy going through the horrendous replacement procedure for my old RCA. I go the Sony 36HS510. It will be delivered on Monday (Labor Day). We'll see if it treats me better than the two RCA's have.

Later,
    Jeff