What's new

Hello from Sydney, Australia! (1 Viewer)

AlanJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Jarman
I discovered this forum just today, browsing the net, trying to solve an obscure cinema mystery from the 1950s. I can't imagine that I'll have a lot of knowledge to share with all the experts here.... but I'll enjoy the learning experience. I've been a movie lover since around 1948; by 1950, when Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson were fighting it out for an oscar that, finally, neither of them won, I guess I was hooked for life. I can't say I'm a fan of much that has been made in the last couple of decades, but I do have to say that ACTING, if nothing else, is now better than it ever was; when I look at, say, Sean Penn, or Russell Crowe, or Philip Seymour-Hoffman, I know that the movie business is still in safe hands!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome Alan! I agree with you on the acting, a lot of the stuff from the 40s and 50s seems very stiff to me, even in really classic films. We still have our share of wood-heads tho!

AlanJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Jarman
Acting styles change, I guess.... I recall that when "Gone With the Wind" came out, everyone in it received raves for their performances except Clark Gable, who was thought, back then, to be out of his depth; now, when I see that movie, everyone seems to be overacting outrageously, and Gable's performance stands as the most believable one in the movie!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
You have come to the right place to discuss your love of movies and all that it entails.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks