What's new

Hellboy: Summer 2004 (1 Viewer)

CoreyII

Second Unit
I can see it on the monster-smashing angle, but did anyone think upon seeing the recent Van Helsing trailer that it was a dead ringer for Solomon Kane? I knew it wasn't, but I couldn't help having that gut reaction when I saw Jackman in that slouch hat and talking about how destroying evil was his mission from God
Hey Andy, very good call. I am somewhat familiar with Solomon Kane. I know that he was created by Robert E. Howard, the genius behind the greatest fantasy hero of all time,Conan (sorry Aragorn and Frodo).

I know that there are a few books about him, but Kane never quite caught on like Conan or even Kull & Red Sonja, two other creations by Howard. If Im correct I believe that Solomon Kane was a Puritan(or maybe even a Quaker)who had all kinds of adventures back in his era.

I believe Howard created another character called Bran Mak Morn also. Although what he was about escapes me at this time.

Another angle on Jackman's Van Helsing character is maybe his look is somewhat based off the character of Alucard from the Hellsing anime series. He too wears a wide brim hat and a long trench coat. To be honest I've always wondered if Universal's flick didn't take from the popular anime series afterall there are some similarities between the two. But since I haven't completely seen the film and therefore know little about it aside from what I've read and the various trailers, it is still too early to decide.

I will admit because Hugh Jackman's outfit does resembles Alucard's and both properties practically have the same title name the chance for a Hellsing movie getting made is now probably slim to none because it would probably confuse the average movie-goer. There could be a chance if the film was made by an Asian company with the same production values as Storm Riders or Jet Li's Hero. Then again it could still be made by an American but they would probably change the title from Hellsing to Alucard, afterall his name is quite interesting if you know what I mean.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,
I did check out a few of the books. I don't consider myself a hardcore FAN like most of you seem to be, but I went into the movie thinking "The source material is great; The movie better do it some justice."
And I was thrilled that my favorite Hellboy story (the one when he's forced to carry that corpse to its new resting place) was referenced in the movie.
Far as I could tell, there was no Lobster Johnson reference. Someone even brought it up at the Q&A after the movie...and I was a bit confused as to who they were talking about. :D There are LOTS of touchstones from the books in the movie; the kitties, the pancakes, the candy bars, the horn-shaving...and I'm sure there were MANY more that I simply didn't catch!
Looks like I have to buy a few more books. :D
I'm very curious to see how 'moviegoers-at-large' embrace this movie. I'd be willing to bet that Mignola fans will really dig it, but whether or not it can cross over to blockbuster territory... tough to say.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
At a showing of Dawn of the Dead 2004 on Friday, there were three 30-something women sitting behind me, and I was quite annoyed when they said the Hellboy trailer looked stupid, but then they ooed and awwed over the Van Helsing trailer. I am not only a huge fan of the Hellboy comics, but I am also a huge fan of Del Toro and Perlman, and I think the movie looks fantastic and very true to the comic, while I think Van Helsing looks pretty crappy. I'll still see Van Helsing though, because of my love for Kate Beckinsale. Can't wait for Hellboy!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I must admit the trailer doesn't do much for me, and i'm not very familiar with the source material. But the combination of del Toro and Perlman will have me in a cinema seat sometime during opening week.
Oh and the Van Helsing trailer is just atrocious. :thumbsdown: I agree with Chuck in that it has completely turned me off going to see this, probably a DVD rental at best.

Gregory E

Second Unit
I think Hellboy looks really cool. I'm actually looking forward to this more than Spidey 2.

I thought the Van Helsing trailer looked kind of silly. Errr...at least not what I expected.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
If Im correct I believe that Solomon Kane was a Puritan(or maybe even a Quaker)who had all kinds of adventures back in his era.
I believe Howard created another character called Bran Mak Morn also. Although what he was about escapes me at this time.
Yeah, Kane was a Puritan. I'm not very knowledgeable about Bran Mak Morn except for a comic adaptation of the most acclaimed Bran Mak Morn story, which was Worms of the Earth. Bran is the last king of the Picts, defending ancient Britain from invading Romans. Pretty dark stuff. There should be trade paperback collections of the Solomon Kane and Bran Mak Morn stories coming out from Del Rey over the next year or so, in addition to more Conan, so I'm looking forward to getting those.
Anyway, just a couple more weeks until Hellboy's out. I've been rereading lately to refamiliarize myself with the old stories :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"....I know that he was created by Robert E. Howard, the genius behind the greatest fantasy hero of all time,Conan (sorry Aragorn and Frodo)."
Nothing to apologize over Corey, youre just telling it like it is:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks