What's new

Hellboy: Summer 2004 (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
From Dark Horizons...

"Guillermo Del Toro confirms the 110 minute theatrical cut will hit DVD in August, followed by a 130 minute version 2-3 disc edition in December."

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Well early reviews are up at AICN - yeah I know take with a grain of salt and over at The Hot Button, Poland has many nice things to say as well.

Summer starts April 2nd!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great news by Poland. The magic of the series appears to be onscreen, and hopefully, the audience will show up. Hellboy is a hard sell in 30 seconds, but I think the reviewers will gush enough to give it some time. I can't wait, especially after reading Poland's enthusiastic response.
:D
Chuck

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I wasn't aware that the composer for this movie is Marco Beltrami. Like many, I was disappointed with his work on T3, I hope he shines on this one.

From MusicFromTheMovies.com

Varhse Sarabande has announced that Marco Beltrami's score for Guillermo del Toro's comic book action story Hellboy will be released on their label on 6th April. Beltrami's music is scored for large orchestral and choral forces, recorded in February with two orchestras. Almost two hours of music was written for the film. We have no information yet regarding the total duration of Varhse Sarabande's album.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see this news posted at MCN, but Hellboy showed at SXSW on Monday the 15th...around 1:00 AM. Del Toro, Perlman and Mignola were there to do a post-movie Q & A...which ended around 4:00 AM.
It was one fun night!
But the movie's the thing...and it was a huge crazy piece of CGI superhero / Lovecraftian monsters fun. I can blather more a little later, but I've been looking forward to this movie from Day One, and I'm thrilled that it wasn't disappointing in the least.
And those who adore the comic book...WILL like this movie. ;)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Thanks Scott, this is sounding better and better every day. You know what? I have to wait for this movie till SEPTEMBER until it is released in Germany. How do studios expect to keep down piracy with release politics like this?
edit: And Scott, and I hate you for already having seen Garden State ;), I think it will be at least a year until I will be able to watch it. :frowning:

Yousaf

Second Unit
The movie looks great, but even if it didn't I'd have to see it anyway because of Selma Blair..what is wrong with me?!?!

CoreyII

Second Unit
They are trying to sell it as supernatural X-Men, but I think it'll be just as entertaining as that film, in it's own way. It's a hard concept to market...
Hey Chuck, I think Hellboy's biggest obstacle might come from the upcoming Van Helsing which seems to tread on the similar theme; a hero battling supernatural creatures (Yes,I know Van Helsing is from Bram Stoker's Dracula novel)

Van Helsing comes out exactly one month after Hellboy which maybe all the time that Hellboy will have to find its audience. What I'm trying to say is that Hellboy seems like a quirky and fun enough film to have longevity but with Van Helsing looming over its shoulder that maybe a problem for the cult comic book hero.

I know some might be thinking that the Punisher will be a problem, but I think Hellboy and Punisher are so different that they will both do well despite being released in such close proximity.

Since women are just as an important factor towards box office success as men are, you know they are going to gravitate towards the Mel Gibson wannabe,Hugh Jackman instead of Ron Pearlman decked out in Tim Curry (Legend) make-up. Unless of course they are same female crowd that made Beauty and the Beast the cult hit that it was back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Anyway, being a huge comic book fan, I have always known of the Hellboy comics and how they became a bona fide hit for Dark Horse. I am also familiar with the creator Mike Mignola and his artwork. I own some of his pre-Hellboy works, a story he did for D.C. comics called the Cosmic Odyessy.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love Cosmic Odyssey.
I agree that HB is similar to VH. I'll happily admit to liking Hugh Jackman a lot. And liking the concept for VH a lot. I also state that I have no doubt that VH will FAR outgross Hellboy, and be not one-tenth as good. It's latest trailer did a very rare thing...it turned me OFF seeing the film in theaters. I've almost never had that happen :frowning:
Back to Hellboy...great comics. Tough to market, but I bet HB will do great with critics and hopefully OK at the BO. Just bring on the movie for those of us who "get it!"
Take care,
Chuck

John Doran

Screenwriter
you know what would be awesome? if they somehow managed to sneak lobster johnson into the movie.
best superhero name of all-time. for real.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Van Helsing advance reviews have been terrible.
Im hoping Hellboy smashes VH:D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Lou,
I was too. But the recent VH trailer was actively awful, so I'll take Hellboy being good. Lobster in a cameo would be awesome, I agree.

Scott,
Did you ever take a look at the TPBs??

Take care,
Chuck

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I agree that HB is similar to VH
I can see it on the monster-smashing angle, but did anyone think upon seeing the recent Van Helsing trailer that it was a dead ringer for Solomon Kane? I knew it wasn't, but I couldn't help having that gut reaction when I saw Jackman in that slouch hat and talking about how destroying evil was his mission from God ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks