Hellboy: Summer 2004

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Andy Sheets, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Check it out! It's an official site!
    http://www.hellsite.com/
    Only a bit of flash animation on it right now but it looked pretty cool to me. I really want this movie to be good [​IMG]

2. Jarrod_L

Jarrod_L Stunt Coordinator

Same here. The comic has always kicked serious butt! The movie has been on the burner for some time now, so it's good to see they're finally getting around to making it.
    I figured they'd get somebody a little more famous, more "leading man" to play Hellboy, however. Ron Pearlman (even though he has a good look to him which should work well w/ HB) seems too "80's TV" to play the lead, IMO.
    Any thoughts on who would play a good Abe Sapien? If we're going less famous w/ this, I'm thinking John Hannah, from the Mummy & Mummy Returns, might be cool.
    Then again, I'm no casting agent[​IMG]

3. Andy Sheets

I think they got Perlman mainly because of his look and that Del Toro has worked with him before. I was always a fan of the Vin Diesel rumors but I think Perlman will do a good job. As for Abe, for some reason I can never think of good actors to play the other characters. I'm usually good at "casting calls" but my mind goes blank on this one [​IMG]

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks, Andy!
    [​IMG]
    Woohoo!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Scott Weinberg

I'd like to purchase the Hellboy novels, but I've no idea what order they were released in. Could someone list 'em chronologically? Thanks!

6. Aaron Wisner

Aaron Wisner Agent

i certainly hope del toro doesnt use the same editor on hellboy as he did with blade 2. yech.

7. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
    Scott, don't worry about the order in which the trade paperbacks were released! I would suggest beginning with "Seed of Destruction", because it was the first series released, but Mignola hasn't written the Hellboy stories in any real chronolgical order. If you read all the graphic novels, you'll get an idea of the overall story.
    Check out www.hellboy.com for the full list of trade paperbacks and comics. They have links to an on-line store called Things From Another World that stocks all of the trade paperbacks.
    Enjoy!

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Scott,
    I told you all that waaaay back...why you been wasting time?!? This is primo material, and COULD make for one incredibly good film. And Scott, buy them all. There isn't a bad story in the bunch [​IMG]
    del Toro is a great choice...as is Perlman. Vin is the right size, but he's all attitude, something Hellboy is definitely not. Perlman's a better actor, and Vin's agent would scream if he had to be covered in prosthetics the whole film. Things happen for a reason!
    That's a sharp poster, and I'd love to get it.
    Take care,
    Chuck

9. Andy Sheets

I admit that after reading the cover story on Diesel in Entertainment Weekly that my enthusiasm for the guy has taken a little bit of a hit. I'll still go see XXX and I think he could do well as an action hero doing his own thing, but I doubt his MASSIVE ego would fit with a character like Hellboy [​IMG]

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I like Vin just fine, although his head is getting big. I continue to enjoy his films.
    But he is dead wrong for Hellboy. Hellboy is smart or wise, but rarely both at the same time [​IMG] He's also self-deprecating, with no ego to speak of (yes, I know he isn't real, except to us lucky fans!). The more I think about Perlman, the more I think he might be the guy! Keep Mike M involved, and I'll smile all the way to the Box Office (with every friend I can find).
    Take care,
    Chuck

11. Scott Weinberg

Thanks for the response, Chuck. I DID ask that question a while back, eh? Proof posititve that Cheech and Chong are accurate depictions... (Figure it out...)
    And thanks to Don as well - using his 18th post to help out a weenie like me. Welcome to the HTF, Don, you Jersey devil, you. [​IMG]

12. Jarrod_L

Jarrod_L Stunt Coordinator

13. Scott Weinberg

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Looking heavily toward this. I didn't like Del Toro's Blade II very much, but I really liked his three prior films (especially The Devil's Backbone). Looking over the site, it seems that Del Toro is very enthusiastic. And I get happier about casting Ron Perlman the more I think about it.

I'm really looking forward to how Hellboy will look. I'm preparing myself for it to be quite different than the comic, so I'll take it on its own terms.

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im pretty sure they said we should be able to get a glimpse of Perlman in Hellboy makeup as soon as this weekend. Keep an eye on the website.

16. Scott Weinberg

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

18. Scott Weinberg

This thread's better [​IMG] plus it's the one that showed up when I did a "Hellboy" title search.

19. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Just watched the preview. Looks tounge and cheek. Lets hope they dont go too overboard with that or we'll get another Daredevil.

Looks cool though.

20. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I don't know Mikel - seems to have the exact tone of the original material. I'm getting a bit anxious to see it. Ever since someone brilliant clued me into Hellboy, I've been watching this closely and it seems like its headed on the right track.