What's new

heat/cold vents and a return (1 Viewer)

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
I have only installed 1 heat/cold vent in my HT room. th room is 15X25 and I have included a diagram to show where the vent is. I need to know if you guys think I should add one more and if so would it Be OK on the same wall? Also should the return go near the floor or ceiling? I have the heat/cold vent a few inches off the riser in the rear of the room.

any thoughts would be great.

the red spot is the heat/cold vent I have so far.

[url=http://www.bulkimagehost.com/uploads/00859281c8.jpg] [/url]

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
This image shows what I could do. the second red spot is where I was going to add a heat/cold if needed. the side and bottom left blue spots show where I can run the return to.

[url=http://www.bulkimagehost.com/uploads/134f60e98b.jpg] [/url]

Or if I can figure out how to squeeze it down a 4 inch wall (might try to use wall cavity between studs), I can try the left blue spot for the return.

[url=http://www.bulkimagehost.com/uploads/c1dc7e46d0.jpg] [/url]

Please ask any questions needed so I can help you to help me. I need to get this project compltete.

:)

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I'm not positive, but I think it's recommended that you include both vents and returns in the room, and that in a theater it's best to put the vents in the back of the seating and the returns in the front of the seating.

Matt

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
You should have both vents and returns. The vent should be in the back of the room and the return in front. In a perfect world you would have a vent on each side of the back, and a return on each side of the front.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
I have nothing to add but thanks for asking the question I was just about to post a similar one.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
The supply and return vents should be close to equal size; a balanced system. Your last diagram looks good. Keep in mind that supply vents have louder air noise than returns. Depending on where your seats are going you may want to reverse the venting. Keep the supply vents away from seating.

Each return should have a high AND low vent each of which can be adjustable to open/close. In heating season close the top and open bottom, drawing cold air away. In cooling season close bottom and open top, drawing hot air away. (Hot air rises/cold air sinks)

You may find in heating season though that the theater gets too warm from equip, people etc. If your heating/cooling system can just circulate air without heating it(Fan Only), you can then open both high and low returns. During the super bowl I had to put the A/C on for that zone of my house even though the temp. outside was in the 20's!

David

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
my problem is that the left side you see on the diagram is my outer basement wall so all I have to work with is a 2X4 wall, I have already ran a vent to the upper right of the room (where the arrow is) Im just trying to balance it out now, so if I should have one on each side how can I get it down the 2x4 wall? I will have no problem getting it to the wall but down will be a problem. I could use the wall cavity to transfer the heat/cold air? I would take the duct to the top of the wall and then cut some holes in the top 2x4 to get the air int the wall cavity then use sheet metal to get it down low and exit it threw the wall I guess but thats a lot of work. I will have no trouble at all running the returns, but you say equal, my one return is a 5 inch pipe, I have the 6 inch I think (might be bigger) pipe for the return.

any thoughts on how to work this out?

Mike

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I don't know if this would work, but if you really want vents/returns at floor level maybe you could hide them in columns?

Matt

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
A return vent doesn't have to have ducting run through the 2x4 wall at all. You just turn the space into the duct itself unless you have already closed it off and filled it with insulation it should be easy.

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I have so far now I have the one red vent upper right corner (4 inch pipe to a 10 ince vent) and lower left blue return (6 inch pipe to a 6x12 vent). I may just go with one 6 inch return and 2 4 inch vents. I have limited space to work with due to all the water lines and gas lines and other walls that are already up. If I run another return on the bottom right (blue) can I tie into the 6 inch duct I ran across the ceiling? Also if I place the 2nd vent where you see (bottom right red) will that be OK or is it best to run it across to the upper left?

[url=http://www.bulkimagehost.com/uploads/96526f65ce.jpg] [/url]

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't put the other supply at the bottom right. Best to go to upper left(hard one). But maybe just the one supply and the one return is all that is needed since they are close in size and they are placed in opposite corners. You should get good flow throughout the room.

David

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
OK, sorry for the hijack, but David, what are the dimensions of your theater? The pictures look great.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
MarkMac

The dimensions are 13'3" x 32' with just under 9' ceiling in the front, a little over 7' at the back.

Following is a description I used on the gallery page which is by-passed when using my link in signature.

"Construction of this 13'3" X 32', 16 seat theater began in April 2004 and was completed in February 2005. The theater features a 96" X 54" widescreen image projected on a Stewart Firehawk screen by a Runco VX1000ci DLP projector & DHD controller. The 7.1 sound system includes a Denon 3805 A/v processor and Definitive Technology BP7001SC main speakers, a C/L/R 2500 center speaker and four BP2X surround speakers. A Denon DVD-2200 audio-video/super audio CD player and a High-definition TV cable converter supply the sources. A Panamax MAX 5300 surge/line conditioning system protects the entire theater system. Remote control is via an iPronto tsi6400 which controls everything in the theater including the 10-zone Lutron lighting system. A High-definition game port is available for use with X-Box and Playstation game consoles."

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks