What's new

HDTV Expanding in Canada (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
To help set your 16:9 'mode', I've created overlays in .pdf format that you can download and have printed on vellum or tracing paper at a local print shop. If you want to buy the finished product, email me privately.
Link Removed

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
It is interesting to note that Bell expressvu is now carrying slected hockey games via HD net. It appears that the games originate with Fox. I believe they only broadcast at 480p but it is a vast improvement over the previous offerings.
ExpressVu gets it's NHL games from HDNet, and they are all native 1080i. They get the audio & graphics from Fox Sports Net, but HDNet uses 1080i video production equipment and adds the Fox stuff to complete the package.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Looks like Rogers is using HDNet coverage as well and I guess we'll know all the details when the first game airs this Friday night.

On another topic, has anybody noticed that the black level of the 2000HD's component output seems to be set at 7IRE instead of 0? This is just plain wrong!

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
On another topic, has anybody noticed that the black level of the 2000HD's component output seems to be set at 7IRE instead of 0? This is just plain wrong!
Yes, I'm glad you mentioned this! I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my set's HD input, since I don't have any other HD sources to compare it with.

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously we have many Canadians that are memmbers of the the forum,by the ammount of interest that this topic has generated.

I am asking if anyone has any information on the forthcoming HBOC which means Home Box Office Canada.

Are they going show HD movies or is this a rehash of TMN under a different name. This service is suppose to be available on Bell Expreesvu soon but no informartion from them on the service

keith fox

Agent
Can't get through to Rogers on phone - too busy.
Can someone answer the following connectiviy questions. I want to know what cables I need to buy. I have ordered online already - can't wait!!!!!!! :) :) :)
1) HD video connectivity (to TV)- Component Video Y/N
2) Analogue video connectivity (to TV)- SVideo Y/N
3) Audio connectivity (To Receiver/pre-amp)
- Digital - Coax or Optical?
4) What is connectivy requirements (Video and Audio) between Digital cable box and HDTV Terminal?
ie what cables do I need to buy?
I assuming any cables they provide out of the box are junk and I will go out and buy 'good' cables.
If I've missed something or made some wrong assumptions, please let me know.
Thanks.
Please respond soon so I can go shopping for cables!
Keith

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
James, HBOC which briefly showed up as a channel on ExpressVu a couple of weeks ago is NOT Home Box Office Canada. It actually stood for 'Hackers Beware of Cops' (or so the story goes, anyway!). HBO is not coming to Canada any time soon. I'll try not to shed any tears over it.

Keith:

1) Yes - the box supports both component and RGBHV

2) Yes (as well as composite and RF)

3) Coax only

4) By 'HDTV Terminal', do you mean the TV itself? If so, you need component video cables. A set of cables is supplied. Otherwise, the 2000HD is a stand-alone all-in-one box and does not need to be connected to any other piece of cable TV equipment.

The cables supplied are indeed pretty basic. What you'll probably need is a set of component video cables, an S-Video cable, and a coaxial digital audio cable. If you want to go nuts you could also get a set of regular RCA stereo patch cables, but I just used the cables supplied for this.

keith fox

Agent
4. I guess I was confused. When you order online you order the digital service including the digital terminal in the usual way using the shopping cart.

When you order the HDTV terminal you use a separate(hastily thrown together) form. It looked as if there were two boxes. I thought it was like satellite where you had your satellite receiver and a separate HDTV receiver/tuner.

You are saying there is only one box? That would be good.

I hope they don't get confused and send me both. The HDTV form said it was for existing digital customers. There was no form to order bother services as a new customer at the same time.

Oh well - I guess I'll wait and see what they do.

Thanks.

Keith

keith fox

Agent
As it turns out HDTV is not going to be available in my area of Toronto until Feb -- likely just late enough to miss the Super Bowl :frowning:
Anyway, I ordered the regular digital TV box. I'll get that hooked up and talk with Rogers in the new year when the phones are less busy about getting the HDTV box.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
PS- the regular digital box showed up today - less than 24 hours from order!
Keith

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I am very close to ordering HDTV from Rogers but I am more interested in what movies they have in HDTV. Will pay per view have hi def and DD5.1? The only tv show I have been watching is 24 so I don't really need to spend $20 a month to have it in progressive scan.

Thanks

GeoffW

Auditioning
Keith,

The Super Bowl WILL NOT be in HD this year.Fox has the rights and will not do any HD any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks