HDTV Expanding in Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James FT, Dec 10, 2001.

1. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

It is not widely known that Rogers Cable one of the largest cable companies in Canada is now offering six channels of HDTV. This includes all the American network feeds TSN staring in January and HDnet. I understand this offer is only available in certain parts of the country. Toronto is one of the selected areas.
    More information can be obtained at their web site www.rogers.com. Needless to say I am certain that they will have some growing pains,based on the previous inconsientcies with the internet service,that they offer.
    It is interesting to note that Bell expressvu is now carrying slected hockey games via HD net. It appears that the games originate with Fox. I believe they only broadcast at 480p but it is a vast improvement over the previous offerings. Unfortunataley there are no Canadian stations that broadcast HDTV with the exception of TSN which is suppose to come on line in January.
    Home Box office Canada is scheduled to start soon but it is unknown at this time if they will offer a HDTV selection.
    Certainly things are looking up on availability of programming in Canada, which has had significant increase over the past year.
    Many americans close to the border susbscribe to the Bell expressvu sattelite service which is very similar to dishnet.

2. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

3. curtis_l

curtis_l Auditioning

That's awesome news James. I'm going to check out Trutone and see if they have theirs setup. As I understand the box is 19.95 a month, which is not bad comparing to whateer else is out there.

4. Ugo Scarlata

Ugo Scarlata Stunt Coordinator

HDTV is here at last! [​IMG] A Rogers tech is supposed to bring my Explorer 2000HD box tomorrow morning...
    The Movie Network's HD feed should be added to the lineup in January... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for re-runs of The Sopranos and Band of Brothers in High Def.
    Cheers,

5. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

As far as I can tell, this is the info available.

For Rogers, there is actually 8 HD channels:

CBS-HD

ABC-HD

NBC-HD

FOX-HD

PBS-HD

Movie Network -HD

PPV-HD

Rogers-HD

As for Bell ExpressVu, the hockey games that are being shown are full 1080i HD presentations from HDNET, using the Fox Sportsnet broadcasters and on screen info.

I'm going to be interested to see if Bell does anything to try and even things out in terms of HD.

Norm

6. curtis_l

curtis_l Auditioning

Checked out Trutone but they didn't have cable to begin with! So no demo.

Anyway I did order it and still waiting. Friend of mine oredered after me and he already has his and he lives 5 minutes away !? Go figure?

The real test for him will be tonight as all the prime time hd shows will be on.

The only gripe that seems to be is the switching of inputs from hd source to analog. Can they make the receiver box "recognize" a non-hd souce and still output the picture w/o adding black bars to the sides? This occurs only when you watch a regular program on the hd input and the receiver(or station) has upconverted the program thus placing side bars. You then have to switch back to analog input.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I'm in the same boat - no cable to this building! Hopefully something can be worked out though.

I just picked up my 2000HD this morning!

8. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Grrr. Ordered mine Monday afternoon - still waiting on delivery. Maybe I should have picked it up?
    The waiting is killing me!
    [​IMG]
    Martin.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Martin, have you phoned to double check? I ordered mine on Wednesday morning and they attempted to deliver it the very next day. I also double checked Wednesday night (after receiving a confusing phone message from them).

10. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I can't get a straight answer from Rogers, do you need to have digital cable before you get an HD box? I would prefer to just get HD because most of the digital cable channels don't interest me. I also can't believe it's only an additional $20 a month.

Thanks

11. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone been connected with Rogers yet? Are they offering any substial programming or is it limited,similar to what expressvu is offering. Rogers tend to advertise things out of proportion. I am thinking of getting a set top box for an elderly friend,and I am hoping it is reraltively simple to operate. I would be interested in anyone comments.

12. Ugo Scarlata

13. Martin Rendall

Received my box this morning. Will hook it up tonight.

Anybody know TMN details? I'm interested to know whether for HD, they will P&S movies to 16x9, or if they'll respect OAR.

Thanks,

Martin.

14. David Chisholm

David Chisholm Auditioning

I own a Toshiba TN61x81 4:3 ratio tv. Will the rogers box

do aspec ratio control like a DVD player and output a down

converted 810i HD letterbox signal to work with my screen

size. I tried talking to a couple of Rogers rep's and know

one can answer my question.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

15. Brian Mc Gregor

Brian Mc Gregor Auditioning

Pardon me if I missed this, but was there any answer on whether you had to order Rogers digital cable to get the 8 HD channels?

Thanks,

Brian

16. Martin Rendall

Brian,

I had basic cable. To get HDTV, I supposedly had to order the $20 extra a month service. This includes the HDTV and digital channels capability, but I didn't order any of the digital channels. If everything goes as I'm expecting, then I should get HDTV channels, the interractive guide, and possibly the currently free new DTV channels in preview.

I'll post tonight to let you know what actually happened.

Martin.

17. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Martin, most of the TMN HD movies shown on ExpressVu and Star Choice so far have been in OAR. I have/had SC and so far, no TMN HD presentations have been in 5.1 though.

David, as far I can tell, the 2000HD does not have the ability to convert to 810i for your display. Toshiba has a device available called the HDP-01 that they are selling directly to 'qualified' customers for $150. The 'qualification' was a Toshiba TV like yours and a Star Choice or ExpressVu HD receiver, but they may be willing to add Rogers HD service now.

Brian, the mimimum price of admission is Basic cable at $21.29 (can vary depending on your location), and the HDTV service at $19.95, for a total of $41.24. In addition to the HD channels, you also get a few regular digital channels (nothing to get excited about) and the 40 digital music stations (which I love). You also get access to pay-per-view.

18. Ugo Scarlata

19. Martin Rendall

Brian,

I promised to report back, and it was as I and JohnnyG have said.

Anybody notice that the upconverted 480p or NTSC looks like crap? The regular digital channels are coming out better. The 1080i is breathtaking, however.

Martin.

20. David Chisholm

David Chisholm Auditioning

Thanks Johnny & Ugo for answering my questions.

I just ordered by HD box and the Roger tech. will be out

thursday night to do the switch for me.

Ugo thanks for the link and the procedure from your link to

do the squeeze for 1080i signal is for my TV. The great

thing about this procedure is that I'll be getting the

full 1080i signal whenever my TV receives HD signals.

Dave.