What's new

HD vs. Standard component inputs (1 Viewer)

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Do HD component inputs require HD sources? Is DVD considered HD? Even if it is not progressive scan? My DVD player (Toshiba SD-4700)refers to Progressive Conversion but I think this has to do with content frames per second.

One of the RPTVs I am considering has only HD component inputs and I am concerned this may be a problem. Will I need a new Progressive Scan DVD player too?

Thanks...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the set....

Many sets allow all types of inputs on all their component video inputs.

Many also only take 480p and 1080i on their HD Inputs.
Most of these also have another set of component inputs that are specifically 480i. So only one true HDTV / EDTV input.

The DVD itself is NTSC 480i, many TV's / HDTV's / DVD Players can progressively scan it to 480p (EDTV) for display.

HDTV is 720p and 1080i right now. So no DVD is not HDTV.

I hope that helped. What is the model of the RPTV you considering?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

No, this only means the inputs can accept the bandwidth necessary for displaying HD sources. DVD is not HD, so it falls easily within the inputs' operating frequency.

Even if you do not have a progressive scan player connected to your HD RPTV this is not a problem. The set's line doubler will take care of the interlaced signal. In some cases the line doubler might be superior to the player's progressive output.

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all, wish my other post offered some replies...

John, to answer your question: I am looking at the Panasonic PT53WX53 as one of the list I posted in "Another RPTV choice - Advice?"

I'm trying to do as much of this as I can from specs because I live 120 miles from the nearest CC/BB/etc, etc. I'm hoping to narrow the field before driving to Phoenix.

Any more advice/recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated! ThanX again:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I almost bought one of these myself. I love the foot print and style'n on this one.

Has most bells and whistles, but lacks 720p support which is important to a fair amount of people.

I own an observatory / 2nd home not far from the AZ border in NM, and I understand completely about such a drive to go look at such products for sure.

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
John,
I want the best picture for the $$ and am willing to spend a bit more. What did you get? If you don't mind my asking...
Thanks
~Lou~

John S

Senior HTF Member
60" 4:3 Philips which has a native widescreen mode for HDTV, ordered online $1248 to my door.

I do a ton of old B&W / 1950's vintage movies, and I was not willing to have such a small 4:3 format, and thos eold movies look really remarkable on this set.

I ordered from www.electronicsalley.com but I looked at the all the sets I was considering in person. The Philips holds up well on Picture Quality with the big boys. I took two months to decide whcih set, I seen it at Best Buy and went back to buy it the next day, and they had sold out in the entire region.

I got online and found the retailer using various price compare'n websites.

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Thnkas again John. I'm in no hurry and want to get the most bang for the buck. I might buy online as the prices are usually better but as you know, there is some advantage to buying from a more "local" retailer.

If I could work out the logistics for a front projector, I would certainly consider that and keep my Wega 36" for cable viewing. Unfortunately, I am struggling with where to place the projector. I have no place to perm install so it would only come out for viewing. I have the perfect locale for the screen but placing the projector is a problem. From what i glean on Proj Central, the throw calculator shows distances that are not conducive to my room. For the screen I want, given the throws, the projectors need to be closer than I can comfortably do and there is also a problem with height of the projector. I tried posting q's on this forum but got no replies. If the calculated throw for a 45" tall screen is 12 feet and I can only put the proj at 14.5, I end up with too big a picture!:frowning: I wish I could work that out because even though it would cost more, the combo would be worth it!
~Lou~

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well I am week on projectors, but I was under the impression that nearly all of them could cieling mount???

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
luckily/unluckily, I have a vaulted ceiling, which I LOVE. If I ceiling mount, it would have to really HANG and it would be hanging down into the middle of my living room:angry:
~L~

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

No. A HDTV or HDTV-ready set combined with a progressive-scan DVD player will offer 480p for movies. That is better than NTSC (especially on 30"+ sets), but it is not HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks