What's new

HD Video Switching - Inexpensive Solution (1 Viewer)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the AA 1154 from Copperbox. I live just one state over, so hopefully going Fedex ground I can have it here tomorrow. I too will post my results when I get done testing it over the weekend.

I was not really happy having to buy this product. I just got an Xbox for my Birthday, and it sucks having to purchase a component switcher that costs as much as the Xbox itself, but what are you going to do?

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I am now an owner of the AA 1154 switcher. Ordered it yesterday at 3:30PM from copperbox, had delivery this morning shipping Fedex ground. I can't complain about that.

I agree with what everyone else said, the 1154 is bigger then I expected, but very light. Having said that, it works extremely well. I was only going to use the 1154 to switch 2 components and still run my HD cable box directly to my TV. I decided to keep it simple and run everything throught the 1154 (cable, dvd, and xbox) and one out from there to my TV and sound to my receiver. I decided against the JVC switcher because I didn't want to still have to change inputs on my receiver just because of digital sound connections.

I am very impressed so far. The 1154 switches to the correct source when I expect it to. I also like that it converts coax to optical digital. This freed my up from a little cabling issue I had and will allow me to sell my coax to optical converter.

If you are someone who really loves their existing receiver, or someone like me who doesn't need any thing more then what your current receiver gives you, then this box is for you.

Clyde Metz

Agent
Has anyone connected the Audio Authority 1154 to the Kenwood VR6070?
Why I ask is that when I make the connections,(DVD,Cable Box to the AA for video,audio from the same components to the AA, and audio out to the receiver)the only way I get sound from the surround speakers is when the input is in the DSP mode. Other modes like Dolby Digital, THX etc. do not produce sound to the back speakers. Any one know how to correct the problem? Thanks
Clyde

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
I have a second Home Theater (thanks to upgraditus)That has no componet in on the receiver and only one set on the TV(Toshiba direct view cinema series)I want to connect a PS2 and a non-progressive scan DVD player. Was wondering if the RS 15-1976 might do the trick for me on this?
Would I connect the red,green,blue cables using the audio ins & the composite ins ?
Thanks for your help.

Dave

David M LaRocca

Auditioning
I just ordered a JVC JX-S111. Will my signal be degraded any if I run my Dvd player through this switcher and then into my projector? If so, will it be a noticable difference?

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
As the proud owner of one AA 1154 component switcher - I'm actually thinking about now adding a SECOND AA 1154 switcher to my setup....

I have 6 component sources now:

DVD
HTPC
Comcast HDTV (Digital Cable)
Zenith OTA HD Receiver
XBOX
GameCube

If Comcast would ever get my locals in HD (I only have Showtime HD & HBO HD for now) then I could sell my Zenith OTA receiver and then be able to get by with one AA 1154.

I would then run my DVD player (Pany RP-91) directly to the TV and connect my 4 other components to the AA 1154.

I may just order another one...I guess I can always sell it down the road and recoup some/most of the money anyway....

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
If it's only buffering to allow for the 2nd output, I wouldn't worry. It certainly looks the goods.

Actually, you could use it to switch multichannel audio too!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Over on AVS, someone pointed out that the >50db (only) spec for input separation might not be good enough when multiple video sources are active. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, how would you use this for MC audio switching since you only get 3 analog lines? I guess it might work w/ the slightly more expensive switcher that offers mixed output. But you wouldn't be able to do both video and MC audio switching via the same unit though.

_Man_

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Why not? You just use all 5 lines for audio instead of 3 for video and 2 for audio. Use one matrixed output for the video and the other for the audio (would be wiered if you mixed them up).

As for the separation issue, well someone needs to try it. Is the channel separation between the active input channels or all input channels?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks