What's new

HD Video Switching - Inexpensive Solution (1 Viewer)

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Doh!

My bad i forgot the review lol...

I am no video expert by any means - but I have to tell you, this unit is realy great...and you cant beat the price...

3 Comp in's, 1 comp out - also switches toslink digital audio...

Comes with a remote that I was able to program into my MX-500 and add to my macros so all the switching is automatic...

I can't give details about loss of video quality - but I CAN say...everything I watch looks great...

Worth the money in my book!

-Mike

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
I tried following your link to ebay but was unable to see what video switcher you are talking about.
I'm going ot be needing one of these soon and am very interested in finding out whats available.

Thanks,
Dave

john.h

Auditioning
Hi!

I got a matrix switch that's pretty cool from Video Storm. It lets me do a 4 in 2 out, and the outputs can be from 2 different inputs. It takes care of my audio and video needs, got optical too even though I don't need it. I saw something similar from Zektor for more. I am considering getting their CRM84 matrix switch which is a rack mount version that does 8 in and 4 out. The HDMI upgrade sounds interesting. Since I was a past customer, I got an email with the coupon codes.

CRM84 (-$300): CRM84POC
CRM62 (-$100): CRM62POC

Cheers,
John

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
So I went back last night and ended up picking one up (2 actually, one for a friend) it turns out it was priced wrong and it should have been $139 but they gave them to me for $99 each then removed the price tag.
So this is what it is (but mine is Black)
http://www.joytech.net/products.php?...lang=1&catID=9
I love everything about it, the looks, the fact that it is remote controlled, the ability to customize the display to say anything you want (so that it doesn't just say Video 1, Video 2 etc.), That fact that it can switch Component, Composite, S-Video, Optical, Analog Audio even Ethernet. Plus it has a built in RF Modulator for people with old TVs.
Anyway everything about it on paper looks great. Unfortunately I don't think it has the bandwidth for HD. The Picture on HD looks softer and there is a bit of "ghosting" going on when fed through the switcher. I'm going to try switching the cables tonight to see it it is that (it comes with a bunch of cables also) I so want this to work, because like I said, I love everything else about it. But the way HD looks right now, I can't live with it and it will be going back if I can't sort it out.
Chris

john.h

Auditioning
Looks like you got a passive switch to me. The Video Storm one I got is an active switch and works much better with HD. Their site has info on how video signals work. It's more in depth than I need, but makes for good reading if you are the type.

Cheers,
John

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks John,

Yesterday I ordered the CSW62 from Video Storm. Thanks for the recommendation, looks like just what I need, I'll post my thoughts here when I get it.

Chris

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to post a few comments about the JVC JX-S111 unit. I tried it out earlier tonight for the first time and was very pleased with the results.

I've connected a progressive-scan DVD player and a Gamecube to the unit so far. (I should note that I'm using the unit as a video switch only.) DVD looked identical to direct connect in 480p. I then switched to the Gamecube and F-Zero GX in 480p anamorphic widescreen, which looked brilliant. Next was Resident Evil 4, 480p non-anamorphic widescreen. Again, I could detect no signal degredation whatsoever.

This s111 seems to perform flawlessly when fed a 480p signal. I have no reason to doubt the claimed 30Mhz bandwidth listed in the documentation. In addition, it looks great next to my other components on the rack. For the purposes of 480p DVD and game systems, I can't help but recommend the JVC.

I've yet to try a 1080i signal, but will do so as soon as I can.

Hope this info is helpful to someone.

David

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all.

I am interested in getting a switcher since my HDTV only has one Component plug but it's already in use. Having just bought a new item that uses Component, i'm in the market for a box. I noticed no one has posted in this thread at all in 2006, so... anyone bought one this year and could comment on it?

john>III

Auditioning
I have a radio shack 15-1927 component switch but am missing the manual. Does anyone have it? I need IR codes to program into a control system.

If you do, I know this is asking alot, but maybe you could make a pdf? I've talked with Radio Shack and searched the net. Cannot find a copy.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks