What's new

Has anybody listened to these bookshelfs... (1 Viewer)

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
I'm starting my next project and I am doing some research for a inexpensive bookshelf speaker. They won't have a sub, so some bass would be nice, although I might build a small 8" or 6" sub later.
My dream was to build the M8a mkIV but they are a bit costly right now. I have about $225US to spend on components, the boxes are another budget.
So far I found these which seem interesting but I would like to know if anybody has heard them before...

the plop in the box
The Daylum
Lemniscus
The Dayton 2

I will be powering them with a Luxman L-235 75w/ch capable of 4 ohms...
Does anybody have any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.:)

george king

Supporting Actor
for that kind of money, check out the GR Research AV-1 speakers, I have them and love them. You will need the sonicaps upgrade to get the full benefit.

Hope this helps.

TedS

Agent
I've built Dennis Murphy's MBOW1, which is a little over your budget (~$300), and it is excellent (probably a notch above the AV-1 due to the OW1 tweeters and Dennis' excellent 2nd-order crossover). To stay within your budget, you could try one of his variants with the less expensive tweeters (MB20 and MB27, I think). His Usher 2-way outputs more bass, though maybe not as refined. I haven't heard any but my MBOW1, but I've become a fan of Dennis' designs based on those and the reviews and reputation I've seen at the Madisound Audio Discussion board.

Ted

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member

Given the new lower cost HiVi M8n and drop in pricing for the Vifa XT-25, things are getting closer to your budget.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Hey Thomas, IIRC the quality (& x-max) on the "n" series wasn't as good as the "a" correct?
Did you or Jon do a new project with the M8n......
Inquiring minds want to know :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If Jon/Thomas say you can use the Hi-Vi "n" drivers I'd strongly lean towards the M8 speaker..I love my two pairs and they sound so good I've now got two friends building their own versions.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Chris

The M8n have a larger diameter frame and different cutout, but from a performance standpoint they are a drop in replacement for the M8a.

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
ThomasW:

I had another look at the cost of the drivers and it looks like it might be a go. So I have a question for you...if I built the cabinets from scratch, can I just line the whole inside with the oak instead of piece milling it? If so, what should the internal volume be?
I noticed at "Solen.ca" that the Vifa XT25TG3004 is only $56.12 CAN...so it look like it it cheaper than at Parts Express...to bad nobody here in Canada sells the Hi-Vi M8N.(at least not to my knowledge!)
EDIT:I just found out that Solen also carries the Hi Vi but they don't show the prices.

Time to start the planning:)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Dean

The oak mods were specific to stiffening the premade WoodStyle particle board boxes.

Everyone building the cabinets from scratch, should just use doubled up 3/4" MDF, so a total wall thickness of 1.5"

The size of the box can be adjusted to a tuning frequency you want. The largest box (example below) would be net volume of 68 liters with flared 3" port results in a box tuning of 25 Hz.

The MKIV design can be built in any sized box or basic config. The only limit is keeping the front baffle 12" wide, and maintaining the proper spacing between the tweeter and woofer

To this

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Solen carries the M8 drivers...at least they didn't when I built mine. I did get some XT25's from them though as well as all my caps and resistors. I'd also urge you to build them with the 1.5" thick walls and go ported if you can...I've got a set that's ported and a set that's sealed and I prefer the ported version as they're capable of playing without a sub for music...and still surprise you with how much bass the can provide for a "small" driver.

My woodworking skills pale in comparison to Thomas and Jon's beautiful creations but you can see my two sets here...the small ones are sealed and are used as a front and rear centre while the larger ones are the ported front mains.

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew:
You're right about Solen not carrying the HiVi, they sent me back an e-mail stating just that! I guess it will have to be Parts Express...

Thomas:
Thanks for the info, I guess I will start my designing stage for cabinets.

Anyone:
I am a bit confused when I look at the caps. as they have both a 250vdc/150vac and 400vdc/250vac ratings,which do I need for the M8a MKIV? Also, do I just use a couple if they don't have the exact size needed?
I'm sure I could get these answers from my co-workers but you guys are the real gurus. :)
thanks in advance...

EDIT: I guess I better go buy a book on speaker building instead!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks