What's new

need help fast please!! (1 Viewer)

KevinCAR

Grip
Hi all I need help and I need help fast! That’s why I came here to ask the professionals. I just ordered a Bose acousticmass III speaker system that has the base module and the 2 cubes that go with it. Well after researching about it I figured out I just made the biggest mistake of getting these speakers, feel a little stupid too for believing in the hype of bose.

So now what I am going to do is not even unpack the bose system, I am just going to return it back to the store and invest in something different.

This is what I “think” I should buy that totally matches my budget, actually it’s a few bucks more than what I can afford but oh well.

I am thinking of picking up the Athena 2 bookshelf AS-B1 speakers and the Athena 10” AS-P4000 subwoofer. My living room is very small my house is 1194 sq feet on the 2 levels and the living room is less than half the size on the main level so I am thinking its under 300 sq’ but has a big opening into the room. I have no room for big speakers at all this is why I am going this route. What do you all think of this setup?

I will be adding surround speaker in the future but I also have to update my receiver too as it’s a 7 year old pioneer that’s when more money comes into the picture.

What can anybody tell me about these speakers? Does it have good bass? Does it rock the house? Any tips, and defects I should no about? It will be used for music listening as well as movies but I like my music loud and with good bass. I like rap with the thunderous bass, I also like hard rock or metal as you say such as System of a down, metallica, slayer ect.., I also like Johnny cash , Neil Diamond for the clarity of there music with out all screeching guitars like my metal music has.

These speakers are on sale until Thursday and my Bose should be showing up I hope on Wednesday so I need to make a decision fast it I decide to go with the Athena speakers. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated so much!! Thanks in advance..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Athena AS-B1s (not the 1.2) are going for $99/pr on www.audioadvisor.com . I haven't heard a better speaker at that price. Decent bass, clear midrange, but a bit bright on the highs. No question they are better than Bose though. I haven't heard the p4000, but it got decent reviews and seems to have good specs, so I'd say it's probably OK.

KevinCAR

Grip
what about the polk bookshelf r15 speakers compared to the athenas anybody do a comparison?

where can i find reviews on the athena sub? i have looked but only found one review where they gave it a 1 out of 5 because the sub died 20 days, makes me nervous but didnt say if they broke them in properly.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
I have p4000's big brother p6000. I am not really an audiophile but I love its bass. Its powerful enough for my 20*16 large family room with high ceiling and open layout. IMO Athena subs are good value for money. p4000 is available at BBY if you wanna try it before buying.

Good luck!

KevinCAR

Grip
Im in Canada so i dont have resources to all the stores you guys have, and to order them form the states i would get killed on duty also.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bought mine by just reading some magazine reviews and based on company's general reputation. Haven't regretted it.

Since Athenas are from Canada, that should give you even more opps to audition it. Killed on duty???

KevinCAR

Grip
I meant killed on duty charges at the border, pretty stupid when the speakers originate from canada, so much for free trade, i would still get charge a brokrage fee and gst comming into canada again. thanks for your input my rooms prob under 300 sq ' so i think the 10" might work, ill have to try. Anybody else?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Cancel the charge on your credit card and mark refused on the package when it comes... That will get rid of your problem with Blose.

KevinCAR

Grip
well i can retuen the bose back to the store no problem and i can try any speakers out for 30days. i went and checked out the athena subs the 12" just kicks and sounds amazing the 10" sounds good but not the same deep end bas the 12 has of course. but they also have a Velodyne VX-10BV Subwoofer for 50 bucks cheaper but it was hard to tell which one was better, anybody every try that sub?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks