What's new

PSB Subsonic 6i or Straus 7i - Anybody demo these? (1 Viewer)

Joel()Les

Agent
While SVS is heading my list, these are under consideration as a sub choice (SVS's size and look may result in wife issues). I was wondering if anybody has had a chance to compare / listen to them.
Based upon reviews here, the Rava is also a candidate.

They will paired with bookshelf speakers and cross over between 60 - 80 hz. Roomsize is probably greater than 3000'^3. Intended use will be movies first and music second.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Joel,

I've been on this for for about 4 years now and can't remember much talk about any PSB subs at all. I think the reason is, their are much better choices for the same or less money and perform way better. With that said,
i haven't listened to any PSB subs but do run PSB Stratus Silveri 's, C6i center, Image 10S side surround's, a pair of JBL HLS810 bookshelfs in the rear. I use an SVS PB2+ sub and couldn't be happier.
3000 cubic feet is a good sized room. My HT room is about 2650 cubic feet. The Rava is a good budget sub. I actually ordered one for a buddy who i set up a HT for in basically, the same size room as i have. The Rava sounds ok but doesn't go low enough or have earth shattering bass like my PB2+. It's just not even close. No PSB sub will perform any better than the Rava IMO. If you want to fill your room with clean,flat,bass 25hz and below, look to the SVS lineup. With about 400 cubic feet more than i have, i recommend the PB2+. The PSB subs and Rava just won't cut it. If you are set on an Adire sub, look to the Darhman. I don't believe even the Darhman would do as well as my PB2+ though.. Good luck.

Dave-Z

Agent
I'm in the midst of building a PSB Stratus system, having now added the C6i to my silveri's. Left for me are the mini's. That being said, I've been to 3 different dealers who's main focus is PSB, and not one of them recommend using a PSB sub, at least not with a straight face.

Get them into honest conversation, and they readily admit that there are much better subs for the money out there: svs, hsu, rava, etc... The closest I came to a rep recommending a psb sub was getting an alpha to serve as a temporary until I found a sub I really liked.

Love PSB, they just sound 'right' for my preferences, and hate saying something that would be negative about them, but after doing a heck of a lot of research on them, it's just the facts I've come up with. Rave reviews for the Stratus line, except the subs. ;)

As well, while matching speakers is generally thought of as mandatory for great sound, especially across the front, no one seems to mind going off brand for the sub.

I would suggest going with one of the other brands. As for the wife, throw a nice french cloth over it, set a pair of boxed diamond earings on top, and she'll forever connect your new large sub with that thoughtful gift. :D

Best of luck!

Joel()Les

Agent
Dave:
The PSB's (scratch & dent sale) were on sale at DMC which made me pause since they aren't too bad looking. Fortunately, she said I can the get SVS without the diamond stud option. :)

Eric: The PB1-1SD is the maximum size I can go with, so hopefully that will work. We don't crank it super loud so it should have enough punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks