What's new

Harry Potter films in HD timed with the July 11th Theatrical Release? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Per the Digital Bits: "Video Business has just posted a good story" link, the article, dated June 15, 2007, states that: "many of Warner’s Harry Potter films will be released on high-def timed to the home entertainment bow of July theatrical Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" release.

My confusion is that the movie will be released in 23 days, on July 11 in the United States and there is still no official announcement by Warner of the Blu-ray or HD DVD releases for these high profile films.:confused:

Note: Warner did release "Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire" on HD DVD only, in the United Kingdom, on November 20, 2006.

Paul

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
If you read the statement carefully you'll see it says, "many of Warner’s Harry Potter films will be released on high-def timed to the HOME ENTERTAINMENT bow of July theatrical Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" release.

The HD releases of the Potter films will be released when Order of the Phoenix is released on HD this Holiday season. The confusing part of the statement is that it says, "many of...Potter films" What do they mean by many? Why doesn't it say "all"? Are they only going to release a few of the Potter films?

Cheers,

Jason

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Jason.

You know, I had to read your statement four more times for it to sink in, that the Potter films will be released on HD discs @ the same time as the HD disc release of "the Order of the Phoenix".;)
Hopefully it will be all the films up to that point.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
You know Paul, it would only make sense to release all the films in HD, but that darn "many of" comment has me worried. Although I really can't see why they would only release a few of the films. This will be one of HD-DVD's biggest guns against Bluray in the coming Holiday season. It would be really silly not to release them all. If anything is going to sway a parent to HD from Bluray it will be at the tugging of a child begging for Harry Potter. Though I personally still don't feel the masses are ready for either HD optical format yet, this could tilt a few of the on-the-fencers toward HD-DVD.

Cheers,

Jason

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Why would they be a blow against Blu-ray when they're supposed to be released on both formats?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's not a guarantee. Remember the Matrix?

That said given their current strategy with HD releases(see 300 and Blood Diamond), I forsee them releasing them on Br as well.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, weren't the Harry Potter movies listed as HD-only on the French list? Of course, it also might depend on where BD-J is this fall.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Me too. You almost know Goblet of Fire is coming, but it'll really cheese me off if I cannot watch all five of them in order in HD.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Grant,

I actually realized that about 5 minutes ago. Don't know why I had it in my head they wouldn't be releasing the films on Bluray. I guess because the Matrix hasn't found its way onto Bluray yet.

Actually if Warners really wanted to do any kind of damage to Bluray, they could keep Matrix and Harry Potter (all 5 of course) exclusive to HD-DVD through the Holiday season and see if that had any bearing on the format war. Then if they really needed to, they could announce a Bluray release next year - people would certainly make the purchase. It's not like BD owners are going to boycott Matrix or Potter out of spite. Just like HD-DVD owners aren't going to dismiss any titles that are currently Bluray exclusive if they should ever make it to HD-DVD. I know I'll be first in line for a copy of Hellboy on HD-DVD if that should ever happen. Course I think they'd have to change the name of the film to, "Hellboy Freezes Over" first.

Cheers,

Jason

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Just sampled the Goblet HD, and the IME on it.
The sampling of The Prestige looked better. Warner is consistent worldwide when it comes to HD, specifically SAME extras as the alternate studio DVD. The Holiday had ZERO extras on HD (Universal).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
While this would be very good news indeed, I have not seen any official Warner announcements on the HP releases. Am I missing something here?

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
What's funny is that my copy of "Smallville Season 5" on HD came with an insert advertising that "Goblet" would be released on HD in 2006. I think they forgot to put a small disclaimer in 1.5 inch font that its available in the UK only. ;)

Amazon.com is showing a listing for "Sorcerer's Stone" and "Prizoner Of Azkaban" but no dates as of right now. Then again they also got a listing for "Lord Of The Ring Trilogy (HD-DVD)" so I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

Off subject but since I just mentioned that said "Smallville" boxset I must say its looks and sounds FANTASTIC on HD. Especially since the audio is mixed in 5.1 (Dolby Digital Plus) on the HD-DVD release... unlike the SD-DVD boxset which is stereo.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I still haven't seen any of these movies. I guess HD will be a good reason to check them out.

doug

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks