What's new

Halo and motion sickness? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi. I just picked up an Xbox today as well as Halo. I haven't opened either yet, and I was wondering if anyone has gotten motion sickness from playing Halo. I often get it and have to go to sleep after playing fps, but I was hoping Halo wouldn't do it to me because it seems like such a great game. I just thought I'd ask if any of you felt like it gave you motion sickness before I opened it. Thanks for any response.

Rob

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
i've played many FPS on consoles, and i didnt get any motion sickness, so it may be just a problem for some people.

What kind of games were you prone to getting Sick? Like really new ones? Because many older games or games played with low Framerates and poor textures caused people problems, but newer games with good textures and smooth framerates should have less of a problem.

Like if you had motion sickenss playing Quake 3 at like 80fps, theres a pretty good chance youll also experience it iwth halo

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
The two I remember most were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on N64. I don't know why they affected me this way, but it wasn't fun. I've also got Unreal Tournament on my Dreamcast, but it doesn't affect me. Weird, huh?

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I got this at first while playing Halo, but eventually it went away. You could try taking Dramamine before playing and see if that helps.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Also try sitting back a few feet farther than normal if possible. Normally, I play games from about 3.5 feet away. When I play FPS of any type, I usually increase this to around 5 ft or so. It helps me keep from getting dizzy. That was an issue with me starting with Wolfenstein 3-D for SNES.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If UT was good for you, then i think halo would be good as well, since Goldeneye has a lower framerate than UT (60fps)... Just sit farther away from the TV.
I dont get motion sickenss, but from any low-res low-framerate FPS game, my eyes get sore and water... (Wolf3D, Doom, Q1, etc)
Though all the newer ones with at least 30fps and nice resolution/textures dont hurt my eyes.. :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
No problems here. The only game that I remember bothering me in the past was Descent 3. The full range of motion in that game...whooo. ;)
-Dan B

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure why but, I definitely fall into the category of getting motion sickness when playing Halo. I got the same feeling whenever I played Soldier of Fortune on my Dreamcast. I own and have played to death both UT and Q3 Arena and have never had any problems.
I had my wife pick up some Dramamine - she suggested I stop playing the game. I politely thanked her for her opinion but, told her it wasn't an option. :D

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I have found that the games that make me motion sick the quickest are those that have the head-bob feature.

This is supposed to make things more realistic by bobbing the picture slightly as you walk. All it does is make me sick ten times faster!

I haven't found a way to disable this in Halo so I haven't touched it since the first time I played it. I got so sick I was nauseous for hours afterward. My head felt heavy, I had a terrible headache, and felt like vomiting.

It's not an isolated problem, I'm sure, but it sure makes me envious of those that have no problems with it.

Funny thing is, I can play driving games all day long and it doesn't do a thing to me. Thank God, because Project Gotham Racing is one of my favorite games.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm one of the sad few that gets sick during Halo. Really annoys me, because it seems like a cool game, but I get pretty nauseated. I've played UT on the PC for hours on end online, on a LAN, etc. Low grav, turbo, you name it--no problems. For some reason, though, Halo makes me ill. The only other games that's done that was the original Dark Forces. Go figure.

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
I just rented Xbox with Halo...awesome game.
I have a 100 inch screen that I play on and as long as I play the 2 person version (in any game) I'm ok but go to one person in golden eye....I thought I was gonna puke after 30 minutes of playing. The first time it happened I thought it was because I was hungry. I'm thinking of doing the motion sickness pills too!
I've got to save my pennies and get the xbox. The games I rented so far were excellent.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I have found that the games that make me motion sick the quickest are those that have the head-bob feature.
Copy that!! I almost puked all over myself after playing GoldenEye for 4 hrs and then getting up for a drink. I just about fell over and puked. NOT a good feeling.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
That is a rather sad tragedy. For the past three years, I lived with the notion that motion sickness was a myth and that anybody that got sick from a video game or reading in the car was just a plain wuss. But after doing some research and reading, there is some scientific basis for motion sickness. Must suck not being able to play FPS.

Ike

Screenwriter
Is motion sickness and car sickness the same thing? I get sick whenever I read or cover my vision up when I'm in a car (obviously not driving). But videogames, movies, etc. don't do it for me.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Ever since doom on the PC, I experience it quite frequently, and you are correct does suck... I now just usually avoid fps...

Miles

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Is motion sickness and car sickness the same thing? I get sick whenever I read or cover my vision up when I'm in a car (obviously not driving). But videogames, movies, etc. don't do it for me.
I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure myself. My memory is a little hazy, but correct me if I'm wrong, motion sickness is derived from your brain's inability to make "sense" of what your eyes see. With First Person Shooter's especially, your eyes see the movement on the screen, but there's a still/non-moving environment outside the monitor. Your brain can't make sense of all this so you get sickness. I think that's the basic gist of it. Other variations involve your brain not being able to catch up with what your eyes see. So that maybe the only connecting link between car and motion sickness.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Next time you are on a long road trip (more than a few hours) and are the passenger, look out the side window straight down at the lines on the road. Keep staring for a few minutes. If I sit too close to the TV during FPS that is the feeling I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks