I wanna be a gamer but I get motion sick!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

the first time i played quake, i played for about 30 minutes. by the time i was done i had such a massive headache and was totally nauseus (sp?). to say the least i haven't played any of those first person shooter type games again. well, actually i tried to play goldeneye, but had the same results.

i've tried some other games - the fighting genre works pretty well for me. but how many times can you karate chop someone?

but almost any other type of game (driving simulations, shoot em ups, adventure, etc) - especially if it involves rapid or sporadic movement across the screen just make me dizzy. i look at games like halo and think how cool that game would be, but i just know i won't be able to play it.

am i out of luck? i'd love to buy a ps2, but i'm afraid i won't get much enjoyment out of it.

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

Role Playing Games would be up your alley.

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Well, if you truly want to be a gamer get thee down to the doctor and get checked out to make sure it's not a more serious problem and then ask your doctor about a prescription for anti-motion sickness pills (Dramamine).

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

RPGs have actually become some of the most flashy games, so I would recommend against them.

Maybe a nice adventure game, like Banjo-Kazooie. Or Super Mario 64.

Also, try sitting farther from the TV and keeping the room well-lit.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I get motion sick too, but after playing the games for a little longer each time, you get used to the visuals and you don't get as sick. I just got my PS2 and I got real sick the first day when I played twisted metal black. I found that sitting further away from the screen helps a lot. Then work your way closer and closer until you don't get sick anymore. Also, try to drink lots of cold water and turn on the AC or open the windows to get fresh cool air. The sitting further away should work the best for you right now. How big is your set? The bigger it is the worse it will be. Maybe try playing on a smaller set.
    Good Luck!

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I also think it would be a good idea to go get checked out. In the instruction books for games, you know, the part nobody ever reads [​IMG], it says that a small percentage of the population could have some side effects to games, you may be one of them.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm..
    good suggestions guys.
    since i don't have a console yet, i can't really give specs. i've got a 32" direct-view and my couch is approximately seven feet from it. i figure that's about how close i'd sit...if not closer. my eyesight is less than stellar. [​IMG]
    well, i'm also thinking about getting a new pc, so maybe i'll go with that gaming angle to start.
    thanks again all! [​IMG]

8. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

I passed on FPS for years because of motion sickness. It was Alice and Halo that finally gave me the insentive to overcome my handicap. I used the following guidelines:
    First, as soon as you start feeling dizzy (even very slightly), just stop. It will wear off much faster than if you wait.
    Second, find a static reference point on which you can focus. Part of motion sickness is due to the brain being unable to 'measure' the perceived motion. For instance, since Alice was 3rd person, the character was always in the center of the screen which gave me a great reference point. Also, when I started I avoided making fast turns as it would disorient me. Finally, in Halo, I initially put my concentration on that big handy gun. It is almost static. After a while, your brain adapts and can cope with the artificial motion.
    Now, 6 month later, I play hours in a row without a hitch. I have caught up on RtCW, AvP2, UT, SoF1. etc... Actually, for a while, I couldn't get enough of FPS. However, the SoF2 demo just made me sick like a dog. Damn moving vegetation... [​IMG]
    Anyway, I hope these tricks help, or at least, give you enough motivation to overcome this problem. It really is just a matter of exposure.
    BTW, John, my understanding is that the warning is directed towards people suffering from epilepsy, not motion sickness. As far as I know, motions sickness cannot kill you. I've spent enough time on boats to be convinced of that. [​IMG]