What's new

Halloween in July? (1 Viewer)

Tucker J

Grip
I found the previous 2 disc special edition to have loads of EE,about the same as T2 in daylight scenes.Picture looked over sharp and in certain scenes i noticed thick black haloes such as,when Loomis finds the matches from the car Michael stole,Loomis has a thick black halo along the side profile of his face also,when Laura looks out of her window and sees the shape there's another ugly black line down the side of the window frame.Seems to be when things are contrasted against a white background.I hope the new edition is an improvement like T2.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, the color seems to destroy the video quality of the movie.

dvdfile.com has a review up.

I'll maybe rent this one down the line, but seeing how the color is way off...I can't imagine enjoying this one. It just won't feel right.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Doh! I just bought this the other day at Best Buy. It's not opened yet and I still have the receipt. It's the Anchor Bay release with MM's masked head on the front. Should I return it?

Ric

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Holy Moley!!!
those screenshot comparisons are damning!

oh its sad to see a once highly reliable studio bungle one release after another.
that should clearly be recalled.

i see an 8 page thread coming....

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Indeed. I'm afraid that my order w/DDD has already began shipping, but I'll just refuse delivery and they'll refund my card.

Even though I sold my LE, I still have the theatrical 1-discer (and the Criterion LD), so I suppose I'll just still with those for the time being.

I can definitely understand the complaints about DotD a little better now. :frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the audio 'issues' on DotD seem pretty niggling to me.
it's not really a film i care about, but while it is not ideal, they are relatively minor alterations- amounting to just a few word substitutions.
i would hate to see it become a habit, but it wouldn'y kill the whole movie...for me.

the problems with Halloween, on the other hand, look far more substantial.
they alter the entire visual mood/asthetic of the film.
clearly unacceptable.

Carpenter needs to raise a ruckus.

its a shame too, as there looks to be a finer degree of detail available in the 25th ann. version- diva-max obviously being an attempt at establishing a company brand meaning less high frequency filtering and higher bit rates.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I've got the 2-disc LE and the Criterion LD, so there's no sense in getting this DVD if the transfer sucks. What the hell happened, Anchor Bay? This is eerily reminiscent of Artisan's bungling of the Reservoir Dogs re-release.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Really disapointed :thumbsdown:

Been waiting a long time for this one :angry:

WTF Anchor Bay, the colors are way off? I guess we'll have to wait for a 30th anniversary.

Corey Hall

Agent
On the one hand, I'm glad DVDFile backed me up. On the other, I'm a little disappointed with the transfer. I didn't think there would be this much uproar about the new trasfer. I figured I was just being overly picky since Halloween is my second favorite horror film after The Thing (82). The new transfer seems to be attempting to color correct all the shots that had colored lighting and filters to make the shots look more natural. The new transfer seems to get rid of the dullness that Dean Cundey added to the shots to try and make Pasadena in the spring look like Illinois in the fall. For example, the first shot of Haddonfield in present day in the new DVD had the typical grey L.A. sky with bright green greenery, the old transfer has a nice blue sky with olive drab grass and bushes. Watch for it. I'm just glad I can watch the old transfer anytime I want to see the movie and watch the new DVD anytime I want to watch the special features. By the way, am I the only one who doesn't miss the TV footage? I thought all of it was pretty extraneous anyway. The only scene I liked was the scene where Loomis goes to Michael's room from which he just escaped.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but this just plain sucks A#S!!!! Why the hell can't this crap be avoided??? And now there will be a WHOLE new group of people new to DVD SWEARING that this is the way that "Halloween" should look because of some damn press release, back of packaging fluff...!

Cripes!!! Carpeneter, WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?!?!?
Glad I waited, cancelling my order NOW!

:frowning:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Two major fuckups in a row from AB. :angry: Now I'm starting to really worry about THE HILLS HAVE EYES.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks