Halloween in July?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Corey Hall, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Just wanted to let everyone know that a major, major retailer has broken street date on the Halloween 25th Anniversary DVD. This is one of the BEST horror movies ever made. So, you should all go out and BUY it if you can find it.

2. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Did you get it?

3. DustinC

DustinC Stunt Coordinator

uh, apparently he did.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

How's the transfer, Corey? Do you have the previous SE to make a comparison?

Any info would be great! [​IMG]

Gordy

5. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Is the new documentary worth shelling out $20 for? I think the transfer on the previous "Special Edition" is just fine so the documentary is the only thing that might tip the scales for me.

6. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Funny thing, I can't find it on their website. I was thinking of pre-ordering, assuming that it would go on special the week of release. Anyone find it on their website?

D

7. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Sorry guys, been out of town. Just thought I'd post my find before I left. Yes, I did get it. Just now put it in. Not the best picture I've seen. I own the limited edition and the Criterion LD. This one looks a little grainy and a little over-sharpened (not sure if it's edge enhancement). One good thing:Blacks are BLACK. The sound is fine though. Seems like it is the same as the limited edition. Keep in mind that I haven't yet done a real comparison, just from memory. Haven't watched the supplements yet either. Maybe I'll do that tonight and let you know. By the way, I'm using a 36" XBR with 16:9 mode on and a Panisonic RP-82. The XBR has been calibrated with Avia

8. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I need this DVD now! Must have. I've held off of the previous editions waiting for this one.

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Great, the new EE edition...

When someone gets the chance, can they compare the new transfer to the older 1? I have lent it to a friend and haven't seen it in awhile. It looked good but not
    overly sharp and I don't recall any EE. It would be a shame if they added some on this release. What with the new T2 FINALLY getting it right re:EE, it would be a shame if "Halloween" went the other way.
    [​IMG]

10. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Just watched the 'making of'-"A Cut Above the Rest". Definitely the best Halloween piece I've seen. It has the involvement of all the major cast and crew except Donald Pleasence, for obvious reasons, and Nancy Loomis, for not so obvious reasons. It includes behind the scenes footage I've never seen before, of John Carpenter directing Donald Pleasence and also interview footage from BBC shot during filming. It's a very thorough documentary, covering every aspect of the production from concept to the sequels. All involved are candid in their interviews and seem to have a certain affection for the shooting and the movie itself.
    Now, the bad. The narrator just sucks. This guy should not be narrating a Halloween retrospective. He sounds just like the narrator for "Icons" on the G4 channel. His name is Rino Romano. Look him up on IMDB. He's done a lot of voice work and if you can imagine Spider-Man/Peter Parker from the PS1 game narrating a Halloween doc, more power to you. The editing gets annoying and gimmicky. It's the standard trick of say, John Carpenter says something interesting in an interview and then they cut to PJ Soles saying, "Totally!" in the movie. Gets very annoying and I've seen it done so many times, you would've thought they would try something new or different or maybe nothing like that at all. Last thing, Moustaffa Akkad makes the comment that he's gonna keep making Halloweens. Not gonna stop until part 22. Someone please stop this man.
    All in all, a pretty good DVD. To me, it's worth it just for the commentary and the documentary.

11. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Sorry if this was asked, but is this a new commentary or the older one from the Laserdisc?

12. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Don't have a LD player anymore to check for sure, but I'm almost positive it's the same. My Criterion is framed anyway, so I don't want to take it out. John Carpenter signed it and want to keep it pristine[​IMG]

13. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

It sounds like this might be one to get just for the supplements.[​IMG] It has to be a different transfer since it's a DiviMax, doesn't it?[​IMG]

14. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

You know, the transfer might just be my opinion. I've been spoiled by superb transfers like Episode II, FOTR, and my personal fave Seven. I should probably remember that this is a $320,000, 25 year old film. The grain WILL be there no matter what. I hope the over-sharpening is just my eyes failing me and everyone else is blown away. But, that's me being optimistic.

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Of course there's grain, after all it was shot on film [​IMG]

I'm interested to see the transfer, and as soon as I get my copy from DDD, I'll do some A-B comparisons w/the old release.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Judging by the other DIVIMAX titles, there shouldn't be any EE.

I want to read some incisive reviews that compare the two - a Gary Tooze www.dvdbeaver.com comparison would be great.

Gordy

17. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Thanks to Corey, I got Halloween yesterday, since I never had on DVD... and found the discs full of fingerprints and scratches!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Fortunately, neither discs had any problems when played.

18. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

I've done a comparison of the 25th Anniversary and the Limited Edition. Not sure if PowerDVD is the best screen cap software, but if someone tells me how to put images into a post, I'll post some screen caps. Or I could just send them to one of you guys and you could post them. The 25th Anniversary DVD is definitely grainier. You can tell in dark shots pretty easily. It's definitely a new transfer. Colors in shots are just plain different sometimes. Sky changed from blue to grayish, lighting color changed, stuff like that. I can definitely see a big difference in sharpness between the two versions. The 25th looks like it's just oversharpened. If the caps go up, look at the right side of Michael's face for comparison. I have a 21" monitor. Don't get me wrong, it still looks just fine for a relatively dark movie from the 70's. I'm just being picky for the sake of you guys. I don't want to say it's perfect and someone comes back and starts picking on the things I've overlooked.

19. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Thanks, Corey.

-Reagan

20. Dan Huey

Dan Huey Agent

I have a quick question regarding the color changes. I noticed that the first 2-Disc DVD set had some pretty big color changes from my Criterion, for example- when Laurie walks out of her house to have Annie pick her up (with pumpkin). On the Criterion disc, the color of the scene is an appropriately brownish autumn color, considerably different than the DVD which just looks like an ordinary day. How does this scene look on the new DVD?
    Thanks!