What's new

Great Video Game Moments (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Halo The Flood

Sega Hearing either Seeeegaaaa or Sega !

NFL 2K Seeing it in motion for the first time on the DC

Mortal Kombat Finish Him !!!

Just a few, more after I think about it some.

Michael Jacobi

Auditioning
Mean Streets (a tex murphy adventure)
The intro sequence which utilised "Realsound", i.e. digital audio via the PC speaker. Also, this was one of the first games to combine video and digital audio. On a 286, nothing came close...

Under a Killing Moon (3rd tex murphy adventure)
At the time, my TV was busted, so all I had to keep myself amused was this game. The 3D in this game was amazing and the first time exploring this world and interacting with the people was just awesome.

Countdown
The intro, waking up in an mental asylum, and the escape! Great, great moments...

Space Quest 4
Going back in time to Space Quest 1.

Leisure Suit Larry 3
"Aren't your palms hairy enough?" comment that comes up when you type something naughty for larry to do. Also, being able to play as Patti was pretty revolutionary at the time.

Hero's Quest aka Quest for Glory
My all-time favourite game. My favourite moment was realising that this wasn't your standard sierra adventure game. In this game you had to build up your stats like in an rpg. Walking around at night and breaking into the old lady's house was amazing. Facing Boba Yaga was pretty cool too!

Ultima 6 - the false prophet
Fantastic RPG. Just walking around and exploring Brittania for the first time.

Wing Commander
The first dogfight! Those graphics were truly awesome.

It's hard to come up with a recent game that has really grabbed me like the classic games of the 90's. I think the last game I truly liked was Gabriel Knight 3. They just don't make them like they used to. *sigh*

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Reading this thread I just thought about how great the first metal gear solid was on PS1, the Ninja was a trip!! The whole story of that game was so awesome.

Metal Gear moments.

-Opening scene,traveling under water in the one man sub.

-The first time your hear the music strike and one of the mercs yells "what's that?!".

-When you fight the Ninja and he's screaming "hurt me more!!"
-Shooting the little missles with the cameras on them that you can navigate..AWESOME!!

-Then part when your being tortured and you have to keep tapping the button or your game is over

-Then end when she's driving and your shooting out of the jeep

This was truly a game that lead the way for games we have today, it was pretty freakin awesome.

John Chow

Second Unit
Add a couple more MGS moments:
Paraphrase: How did you beat me? Ah.....you used the 2nd controller!!!

Whole Sniper wolf death sequence was cool, I think they synchronized the dual shock to her heartbeat.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
My most memorable experience was playing the final level on halo with my friend. He had got to the banshee first on the previous level, and on the into when they are circling the Pillar of autumn he says"Look im flying it", then BOOM! Master chief flys the banshee into the ship.I was going so crazy because I thought my friend killed master chief, little did I know that was supposed to happen:b

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past.
The whole damn game. The first game where I was competely lost in a video game world.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator

[ahem] You forgot to mention the PSOne version of Soul Blade as well. :D

Some of mine...

- Successfuly going through the 360 loop in 'Hard Drivin'

- Kyle Katarn vs. Desaan in 'Jedi Outcast'

- Hitting turbo while driving through oilslicks in 'Turbo Outrun', and watching the highway burn behind you.

- nuking the Death Star in the original Atari 'Star Wars Arcade'. Yeah the game kept going, but I still felt like I accomplished something.

- Reaching the first intermission in 'Ms. Pac Man' (showing my age here...)

- 'High Noon' The GTVA Colussus vs. the SJ Sathanas in 'Freespace 2'

- The Dyson Sphere attack run in 'Freelancer' (Game Mission Briefing: Enter Dyson Sphere - Player Reaction: "WHAT?!?")

- Having my a** handed to me again and again by my brother in Soul Blade/Soul Calibur/Soul Calibur II.

Rodrick

Second Unit
TurboExpress- beating Bonk's Revenge, and Galaga 90. The people looking at such a neat gamesystem

Apple 2 Beating LeisureSuitLarry ShapeUp or Slip Out 6, and completing finally getting all the correct stuff in order to the Babe.
Beating Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego
Getting out of Haunted House alive.

Sega Nomad- playing NHL 93 and Mortal Kombat and getting young kids look shocked at this old system.

Gameboy defeating REvenge of The Gator pinball, and SuperMarioLand

On Vectrex getting passed level 16 on Minestorm

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
first time setting someone on fire in Syndicate for the PC (thats a long time ago now)

I second the first time beating the Guardian in Masters of Orion ( I still believe the first was the best)

Bard's Tale - the original not the remake coming out soon
I think I could still navigate the first dungeon in Skara Brae from memory)

first time seeing Dragon's Lair in the arcade

first time laning Warcraft 2

building my own level for Duke Nukem

getting the first hidden 1up in Super mario Bros

bringing down an AT-AT in Rogue Leader for Gamecube

successfully having a 16 player mario kart double dash party

thats a good start i think

Danog

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Nailing one of those little ninjas with my crossbow in Half-Life

Finishing the first Final Fantasy on the old NES.

The entire mood of Doom 3

Beating the dreaded end boss in the original Phantasy Star, then finding out that there was a final quest to accomplish.

The humor of Sam & Max Hit the Road .

The whole storyline of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

The jawdropping graphics (at the time) of Quake

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Playing Darkseed and seeing the creature get shot into your characters open head....ugg.

Eye of the Beholder II - Great Dungeon crawl......how damn hard does it have to be to actually kill a wolf at the beginning of the frickin game?

Loading up my first Starpath tape/game on the old 2600 back in 1982 and waiting in anticipation for the blue bars to slowly come together.....god I loved Phaser Patrol, Dragonstomper & Escape From The Mindmaster!

Oregon Trail - Rafting down the Columbia River. I was probably about 5 at the time when I played it and I thought that the rafting section was really really hard. Stayed up till like 2am playing that with my grandpa.

Karate (NES) - This was the first NES game that I remember playing. I was so cool to kick and punch those little midgets.

Mortal Combat (Sega) - This is the game that really started the violent video game issue. I was also still young when it came out, so I had my mom buy it for me. Still remember the blood code, BABACABB.

Goldeneye (N64) - This game is still amazing to play. This is the reason I bought a N64, absolutly amazing. Also, the first game that I was truly awesome at and pretty much unbeatable. A bunch of college guys I knew thought they were good at it until this 10th grader beat them everytime in MP.

Legend of Zelda: OoT (N64) - The first zelda game that I played. It was an out of body experience.

Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) - A stunning visual display. I never knew I liked racing games so much. All those beautiful cars...ummmm.

I'm sure you are right. Although the BABACABB always worked for me, so I guess the extra B at the start didn't hurt anything. Just goes to show you how bad elementary kids are at communicating video game codes. Ahh...the days before the internet was what it is now.

ShaneJ

Auditioning
Cool topic.

I'll echo blowing up the Death Star in Star Wars Arcade and the tram ride in Half-Life. Plus yeah, those little ninjas were a pain.

A few that I can think of.

Unreal
Getting out of the ship at the beginning and seeing the waterfall and the awsome graphics.
Early on, going into a room and all the lights go out then one of those predator things attack you.

Warcraft 2
My first real-time strategy game, what a blast, then playing against other people.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Blowing up all my friend's buildings with Tanya. :)

Halo 2
Riding the warthog, in Outskirts.

Tribes
Stealing the flag, and busting up peoples bases.

Total Anihilation
Pulling off a Can rush and laying waste with the big cannons.

Duke Nukem 3D
Going up like 18-0 against my friend in deathmatch and then losing 20-18. :frowning:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

Yeah, all that matters is that, in the end, there was blood, rather than sweat, right?

Cool thread...

my favorite moments (that I can remember)

Playing Killer Instinct for the first time. This game was pretty damn good and I'm still waiting for a sequel.

Seeing the arcade cabinet (remember those?) for Mortal Kombat 2 for the first time. Such an improvement over the first game.

Devil Kazuya in Tekken 3. Enough said.

The first create a player mode in a sports game was pretty damn revolutionary at the time. I may be mistaken, but I remember NBA Live '96 being the first to do this.

"He's on fire!"--NBA Jam

so many more that I can't remember right now....

I never knew that, interesting. But Brett really is right, all I cared about was that I had a Sega and I got to see blood and those with a SNES didn't. I wonder what the teachers thought of us kids on the playground swapping methods of various types of head removal for that game?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Brian, you do understand that Brett's whole Abacabb thing was a joke, right?

At least I assume it was....hell maybe he wasn't kidding.:)

I didn't realize that it was a joke. I just thought that some progammer liked the band or liked the connection to the Sega Genesis. I think I am just a little slow today.

anyway, back on topic...

Contra (NES) - How cool was that game. That game is a blast to play (I still play it) by yourself or with a competent friend. What a great feeling it was knowing that you fought your way through those levels with your friend, shouting out which guys you were gonna take and which ones they were gonna take. I liked the ending too, with the island blowing up and flying away in the chopper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks