What's new

Great Video Game Moments (1 Viewer)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Half-Life: "The Accident", at the beginning, where the experiment goes horribly wrong and leaves you alone not knowing what's happening but knowing whatever it is, it's very very bad.

Doom3: Same, "The Accident", watching the demonic powers overrun the base before your eyes and on the control room screens, and suddenly being dropped deep in it when you haven't even been shown to your quarters yet. Praying the shotgun ammo holds out, and the light doesn't break...

Tomb Raider: midway through the game you end up in a room that has a carving of some type in the middle of the far wall. Wandering over to it, the floor in front of the carving gives way and suddenly you're surrounded by snarling dogs; jumped a foot off the sofa and dropped the controller as they chewed on Lara.

Master of Orion II: Playing all night with a cybernetic creative subterranian race in a huge galaxy against seven other races, fending off the repulsive Siliconids and persistant Antarians with destroyers and cruisers and star bases. Finally deploying my first phasor armed Doom Stars that began to roll back the aliens on my borders. Leaving a token force of left over cruisers in orbit over the final alien planet and assembling the refitted Doom Star armada to warp into Antarian space to explain their time is over.

Quake 3 Arena: Playing Capture the Flag on blue flag defense. Three red players attack, kill two. Third gets the flag. Chase him all the way across the board and nail him literally a heartbeat from capping the flag. The in-game announcer booms out "HOOOOOOLY SHIT!", and I got killed seven times in a row, I was laughing so hard from the carpet.

Everquest: Taking a level 4 dwarven paladin and level 3 gnomish enchanter from Feydwer, riding the boat to Freeport, and crossing the western plains towards Rivervale. Almost dying to a level 8 puma, and being saved by our friend the level 9 cleric who was Godlike unto our level 3 and 4 n00bness.

Extreme G Racing: Final race, final circuit, been working on it for ninety minutes. Find a groove and start dialing it in, and restart the race again. Run good laps, slowly working up the pack, and taking the lead on the last S turn in the last lap. Come out, straighten up sloppily as two other racers draw abreast with me. Take the final turn, rub against the outside racer, bounce off him into the inside racer. Both other racers start inching ahead as we leave the final turn, the finish line rushing up to meet us. Lean forward, compress the boost button, and catapult ahead to win in a photo finish as my friends watching all scream "YES!"

Dungeon Siege: Being shown it by a friend, thinking it's cool enough but a lot like Diablo with tons more character and cool. First big fight, screen is littered with treasure and coin. Remarking "yeah but it's a drag clicking all over to pick that crap you need up ... if they cared they would have included a loot all button." ... right as my friend looks up at me with a grin and pushes the Loot All button, and watching open mouthed as the hero on screen runs all around industriously collecting the loot.

Lemmings: At DragonCon in the mid 90s, spending all Friday night playing Lemmings with eleven other drunks who cheer and moan in unison as the Lemmings go about their little lemming lives and walk off cliffs, into lava, get stuck in holes, and make the little squeaky lemming noises. Coming back the next night to find a big sign posted in the gaming room that says "Absolutely No Lemmings!!!" because the game room operators just couldn't take the little lemming voices and their cheering sections anymore.

SimCity: Building my first metropolis all-rails-and-buses city and wondering if it's that easy to solve polution and traffic problems, why a real city doesn't frickin' do it like that.

Duke Nukem 3d: 16 person all-night lan party at a convention, playing Duke for the first time. Go into an elevator, it goes down and opens into a dead-end room. Ride it back up, and am immediately attacked as the doors open. Dodge out and away as my attacker assaults the elevator with a shotgun. Throwing a pipe bomb into the elevator with him, and watching Duke's hand with the remote detonator come up as the opponent turns to see the elevator doors closing. Waiting that precious oh-so-sweet second to savor the moment, then clicking the mouse to detonate the pipe bomb. Kill message reads out across the top of the screen as someone behind me screams in anguish.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking back, a few moments come to mind:

- Seeing the parallax scrolling in Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga for the first time

- Seeing the animated intro to Blood Money on the Amiga (which took up one of the two disks)

- Seeing Hitler's head explode in Bionic Commando on the family-friendly NES

- Walking through the woods in Beyond the Forbidden Forest on the C64, paranoid that a monster would jump out and messily devour me at any time

- Hearing a real score for the first time in a game in Pitfall II on the Atari 2600

- Having to kill the boss while he's begging for mercy at the end of Ninja Warriors

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Great thread; so many memories! Where to start...

Ghostbusters (Commodore 64): Between buying/upgrading different cars for the driving sections, an actual map for the city, sucking up ghosts, dying when you "crossed the proton beams," and impressive sound/graphics for the time, this game was a BLAST!

Wolfenstein 3D (PC): First FPS, kill them nazis, eat the dog food for life, hidden areas... Start the game breaking out of a cell using a knife; wow, what a great game!

Doom (PC): BFG 9000, 'nuf said

Quest for Glory series (PC): QFG2 my personal favorite, my first pseudo RPG, hooked on RPGs for life. Three different classes with significantly different ways of solving quests for each plus class-specific quests, able to continue using your same character throughout every game! Great storyline too, I really felt like I accomplished something when I beat each one! Best moment: QFG2, traveling to Raseir, caravan under attack, what's going to happen, what's going to happen? aaand... INTERMISSION!?! LMAO!

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC): I second the earlier post, GREAT STORY! Hmm, I'm in a fight, uh oh, I'm about to lose, SUCKER PUNCH!

Star Trek: Judgement Rites and 25th Anniversary (PC): Great games for the Star Trek geeks like me; OUCH, the "red-shirt" bit it! LOL

Warcraft II (PC): Fun single-player campaigns, my first "online" game I ever played, using a direct-connect with modems. Installed it in my high-school library computers to play over the LAN, got in a LOT of trouble :)

Tie Fighter (PC): Super-fun space combat game (my first, actually). Extra goals to complete for that Sith guy, getting tattoos on your arm as you rose in the ranks.

Super Metroid (SNES): I swear it's the best side-scroller that I ever played! I finally beat the game fast enough, Wow!, Samus wears a bikini under that armor!?

Final Fantasy VII (PS1): Nothing but fond memories of this game, played it so many times (still play it sometimes)... The plot twist really made me want to exact my revenge on Sephiroth (one of the greatest video-game villains, IMO) Finally kicking the $#!T out of the Ruby and Emerald Weapons... Finished the game after completing everything, getting all optional characters, maxed out stats, ultimate weapons, first time I played a game that I logged somewheres around 90 hours on.

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2): Huge game, so much to do! Best moment: First time I managed to hit 6 stars, and managed to jack the tank and lay waste to everything!

Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox): Fun game, excellent storyline. Best moment: Finally constructing a lightsaber, and hitting Y nonstop while running around just to hear the sound and watch your guy swing it around!

Halo 1 (Xbox): The first time I played a FPS on a console (die-hard PC fan for FPS before that), and actually found it was easy to control! Best moment: In my dorm in college, before they installed a LAN in the dorms, running ethernet cable above the ceiling tiles in the hall so noone would find out to connect five different rooms together for death match. I found out I had to drill holes through the concrete above everyone's doors to get it into the room. Started drilling... My RA comes running out of his room: "What are you doing, you can't do that! You're damaging school property! Do you know how much trouble you're in!?" Me: "I'm hooking up our Xboxs together so we can play Halo against each other, I thought I could finish it before you found out..." RA: "Hmm, Halo, huh? Well, you better run a cable to my room as well..." LOL, ahh, nothing like 16-player death-match in the dorms, people screaming in agony or victory up and down the hall at 3 in the morning at full volume! :D Really makes me miss college...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Anyone remember the old Genesis version of the Prince of Persia inspired game Flashback?

I loved this odd little game even down to the cheesy music. Here's the Options Music...brings back a few memories...

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Great PSX moments:

Gran Turismo - Finally figuring out how to beat one of the license tests by over revving the 67 vette in manual shifter.

MGS Too much to list.

Final Fantasy VII Beating one of the bonus weapons by using the magic that had 12 attacks. Gawd, I can't remember the name. You had to get it by riding a black chocobo across the world.

Dino Crisis I When you open the safe in a completely quiet room and then the TRex's head comes smashing through the window roaring at you while the dual shocks go bonkers. Scared the bejeezus out of me. So good, I had my wife do it wihtout telling her. She startled so much she ripped the controller out of its jack. hehe

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Knights of the Round.

Similar moment, same game:Omnislash.

Burnout 3: BOOST.

Mario 64: Seeing the water in the ?3rd? level.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Wow, for some reason, I forgot all about this old thread

No, actually, the code was ABACABB, so I wasn't joking. I'd never even seen or heard anything about that Genesis album. Weird coincidence if it wasn't intended.

more additions to the thread:

The first boss in "God of War."

Being able to control Shang Tsung and morph in MK2.

Tekken Bowling.

"I am Magneto, Master of Magnet!"--don't know if it was a great moment, but it was memorable (from the X-Men arcade game)

Playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 on the NES. This was the first arcade-port of a game that I had actually played in the arcade. I mean, I had played Double Dragon and Bionic Commando and other arcade ports on the NES, but I never played the arcade counterparts. So this was the first time I'd ever had a "real arcade game" at home. Hard to explain, but it was cool.

and how could I forget: Goldeneye death matches on the N64.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Well for me...

1. Having my PC souped up enough and finally getting the full impact of Wing Commander for the first time and the many space fights.

2. As someone else said, encountering those beams in Freelance 2

3. I had many great moments in all of the Splinter Cell games.

4. Halo for the first time.

5. Halo 2 multiplayer for the first time.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
From the top of my head:

Doom 3 - Transporting to and arriving in Hell. My favorite videogame moment that I can remember.

Mario 64 - Just controlling Mario in 3D for the first time.

Zelda: OoT - Entering the field for the first time, seeing things on the horizon and running up to them.

Perfect Dark - The Farsight.

Resident Evil (or was it the second one?) - Walking through the hall and seeing that creature crawl quickly across the window outside. Yipes!

San Andreas (on X-Box) - Customizing my own soundtrack so I can just drive around all day and listen to all my funky tunes. That and skydiving. Before that I also remember playing Vice City for the first time (I hadn't played III yet) and driving around in the rain.

Eternal Darkness - The insanity effects, especially the one where it looked like I accidentally deleted my save file.

Silent Hill 4: The Room - The hallucinations in the room scared the heck out of me, but the creepiest thing was looking through the hole in the wall and seeing that damned stuffed bunny staring right back at me!

007: Everything or Nothing - On my souped-up too-fast-for-words bike riding on the wrong side of the freeway on that looooonnng straight bridge.

The opening level of Metroid: Prime. I'd been waiting forever for a new Metroid game and I wasn't disappointed.

Oh, and Kevin, Flashback ruled.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Xbox - Playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein online with a bunch of HTF members into the wee hours of the morning every weekend! That was some of the most fun I've ever had playing online - I miss those days :frowning:

Co-op in Halo

Dreamcast - NBA2K1
- MDK2 - man that game was tough
- Shadowman

N64 - Mario 64
- Turok (the first one)
- Zelda Ocarina Of Time (especially the final battle)
- Banjo Kazooie
- Goldeneye

Ken H

James T

Screenwriter

That would scare the crap out of me. It also reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 and how they would make it seem like you were dead. Part two came close to fooling me. Part three took me awhile to figure out.

For me, my all-time greatest moment in video game history was in Tribes. I ordered a vehicle, but was too slow to get on as it quickly filled up. But I wanted a ride anyways, so I jumped on. The thing exploded, killing everyone but myself and one other person who thought I did it purposely and tried killing me. Luckily friendly fire was off :)

Half-Life 2
When you upgrade the anti-grav gun...wow! I was just flinging people off the platforms to there doom.

Jedi Knight
When you first get your lightsaber.
And I have to also add the long, long hours I spent on zone.com playing that game.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Oh, sorry....I had never heard of the code so I understandably assumed, because you used a conspicuous winky, it was a joke.

I did say "At least I assume it was....hell maybe he wasn't kidding." though.....but if it wasn't a joke then why the winky?

Thijs

Grip
When i was alot younger and had the SNES

Playing Megaman X for the first time, i was instantly hooked by it.

All the amazing games for the SNES cause of the 'copybox' we had, a kinda of small app inserted onto the sness cartridge output and using floppy's to play so many games...amazing.

When i first saw Mario 64 in the store...i couldn't believe what i was seeing, SO DAMN AWESOME!

GTAIII ......WOW.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Triggering the miners' revolt in Red Faction.

The entire game Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. The story just kept getting better and better and bigger and deeper. Lovecraft would be proud!

Seeing Guitar Hero in the store for the first time.

Getting Guitar Hero and finding out for myself that yes, it's THAT FREAKING GREAT!!! :D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I grew up with everything from Atari and on... the first time my eyes popped out of my head was the first time I played RESIDENT EVIL on PS1. The opening cinematic, the first sight of a zombie... but the moment that made me burst was the first time I got killed in the game. 2 Dogs jump through a window, and proceed to run you down and eat you.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
After a while it's hard to be surprised, so lots of my favorite moments are from earlier in my life:
  • Feeling slightly dizzy while climbing and jumping further into level 3 of the original Castlevania in the late 1980s... and seeing Dracula's tower in the background for the first time.
  • Learning how to slide through bricks in the original Super Mario Bros.!
  • Riding Epona over the landscape of Hyrule in Ocarina of Time.
  • The first underwater level of Super Mario 64... the music and visuals nearly brought tears to my eyes!
  • Playing Super Mario Bros. 2 (American version, of course) before leaving for school in the mornings and sliding around the ice levels as Toad.
  • Finishing POP: The Sands of Time at three in the morning after a gaming marathon and sitting through the end credits just thinking, "now that was a good game."

Plenty more, but I've run out of time. Great thread!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Quest for Glory 4: The 3 Inn Guests - ranting and raving, hilarious. Also of note is being able to play as a hero, magician, thief, and in later games, the paladin.

Knights of the Old Republic - Being able to tell a NPC to walk off a cliff, and then have to listen to a party member say, You're turning to the dark side.

Deus Ex - The Whole Game - The levels are so huge, being in France and robbing the stores was cool. Being able to make choices that affected the game, such as choosing whether or not to shut off the life support system for a person who wanted to die.

Thief 2 - Robbing everything and not getting caught.

Quake - Listening to the spider monsters breath when chasing you. Sweet.

Gabriel Knight 2 - Finding the cave in Chapter 5, and seeing Von Cell. And the opera scene in Chapter 6.

Alien vs Predator - Playing as a human and having a Cell attach itself to you. I jumped big time the first time this happened, and I was playing in the dark.

Doom - Playing with a friend and yelling at each other when you got killed.

Warcraft 2 - See Doom. Also the decay and blizzard spells, as well as the Cell ogres.

Final Fantasy VI - Anything where Kafka was.

Eternal Darkness - Insanity Effects - Brilliant.

Soldi: A Link to the Past - The Interaction between the light and dark worlds.

Lots more for sure, but these are off the top of my head.

Ike

Screenwriter
Some recent ones....

Killer7 on Gamecube

The level in the school, with the man hanging, and the line of bad guys on the stage. So surreal and brilliant.

Psychonauts on Xbox

Near the front, when Raz enters his own brain. When he goes inside the carriage which is full of TV static, gets trapped, then cracks it to find he was inside an egg...good stuff.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2

The flying boss with hair on his back. Shooting him on his perch and jumping right as he dived bombed you.

Oblivion on 360

The arena missions, and first seeing the Blades fortress.

I'd also count MGS3's ending, Take Me Out in Guitar Hero, just walking around in Shenmue, and numerous things in Animal Crossing.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
There was one point in Half-Life 2 where you're running weaponless away from enemies, and you run up the stairs, and all of a sudden the stairs collapse under you. I think that was the point where I decided putting up with Steam was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks