What's new

Great directors whose large majority of films are still not on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I was just thinking about Elia Kazan and I noticed that only 4 of his films are available on DVD:

Gentleman's Agreement
A Streetcar Named Desire
On the Waterfront
Splendor in the Grass

There are 15 of his films that are still not on DVD:

Last Tycoon, The
Visitors, The
Arrangement, The
America, America
Wild River
Face in the Crowd, A
Baby Doll
East of Eden
Man on a Tightrope
Viva Zapata!
Panic in the Streets
Pinky
Boomerang!
Sea of Grass, The
Tree Grows in Brooklyn, A

That's a pretty poor representation of his work on DVD (although Viva Zapata is supposed to be coming out from Fox).

I can think of other great directors who have been similarly neglected (especially Foreign), but Kazan just popped into my head. Anyone else have a favorite they would like to mention?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are whole sections of Luis Buñuel’s career (much of what he did in Mexico, for example) that are not on DVD.

Of course there are also a good many films that are available.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
With over 25,000 DVDs released in Region 1, it is sad to note that many of the world's greatest directors are significantly under-represented in this medium. Considering only Region 1 releases, these are my nominations for the most under-represented (I focussed on feature films, not made for TV, mostly excluding documentaries):

Theo Angelopoulos: Only 1 of the 12 features this great Greek director has made is available in Region 1. Most famous film is probably Landscape in the Mist*. Won Cannes Palme d'Or in 1998 for Eternity and a Day*.

Michaelangelo Antonioni: Italian director most famous for L'Avventura. Won Palme d'Or in 1967 for Blowup*. Of 14 features, only 6 have been released; 1 now OOP.

Ingmar Bergman: One of the 10 greatest directors of all time, according to the Sight & Sound poll in 2002. Only 5 of 41 features available in Region 1 (MGM/UA will be releasing 4 more in November). Won special Palme des Palmes in 1997. Most famous films are The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona.

Robert Bresson: Great French director of spare, difficult, and philosophical films. Only 1 of 13. Most famous film is probably Au Hasard Balthazar*.

Luis Bunuel: A master director, and the father of surrealism. Only 4 out of 32. Won Palme d'Or in 1967 for Viridiana*. Most famous films are Un chien andalou*, Belle de jour, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

Kon Ichikawa: Great Japanese director of the 1950s and 1960s, famous for The Burmese Harp*. 2 out of 82

Aki Kaurismaki: Finland's greatest living director. Current film is The Man Without a Past*. 0 out of 15.

Fritz Lang: Most famous for Metropolis. 14 out of 45

Mike Leigh: Esteemed British director. Won Palme d'Or in 1996 for Secrets and Lies*. 2 of 8.

Mitchell Leisen: A dependable director from Hollywood's Golden Age. Most famous films are Midnight* and Easy Living*. 2 out of 38

Ernst Lubitsch: The most "Continental" and sophisticated of Hollywood directors. Most famous films are To Be or Not to Be*; Trouble in Paradise; Ninotchka*. 5 of 33 (Hollywood films, 1923-1948)

Louis Malle: Popular international director. Most famous films are Au Revoir les Enfants*; Atlantic City. 5 of 22

Leo McCarey: Versatile Hollywood director of the 30s and 40s, especially adept at comedy (e.g. Duck Soup). 6 of 28

Jean-Pierre Melville: A progenitor of the French New Wave, famous for noirish thrillers (Bob le Flambeur; Le Samourai*. 2 of 13

Kenji Mizoguchi: One of the greatest of Japanese directors. Most famous films: Ugetsu*; Sansho the Bailiff*; Life of Oharu*. 1 of 42 (1930-1956)

Mikio Naruse: Prolific Japanese director. Most famous films: Mother*; Floating Clouds*. 0 of 88.

Max Ophuls: A memorable creator of stylish, intricate dramas. Known for Earrings of Madame de ...*; Letter from an Unknown Woman*; La Ronde*. 1 of 22

Yasujiro Ozu: One of the greatest directors of all time (in the Top Ten of the latest Sight & Sound poll). Most celebrated films are Tokyo Story*; Floating Weeds*; Late Spring*. 1 of 52

Nicholas Ray: One of Hollywood's most underappreciated directors. Known for Rebel without a Cause; In a Lonely Place; Johnny Guitar*. 2 of 24

Satyajit Ray: Arguably the greatest Indian director. Known for Apu Trilogy*; Devi*; The Music Room*. 0 of 28

Jean Renoir: One of the top ten greatest directors of all time, according to the 2002 Sight & Sound poll. Best known for Grand Illusion; Rules of the Game*; Boudu Saved from Drowning*. 2 of 27 (1931-1971)

Jacques Rivette: A major figure in the French New Wave. Known for La Belle Noiseuse*; Celine and Julie Go Boating*. 4 of 26

Roberto Rossellini: One of the greatest of Italian directors. Best known for Rome: Open City; Paisan*; Germany Year Zero. 2 of 26.

Preston Sturges: Wrote and directed many of the best Hollywood comedies of the 1940s. Best known for Sullivan's Travels; The Lady Eve. 2 of 12

Jacques Tourneur: Probably most famous for his stylish horror films, like Cat People* and Night of the Demon. 2 of 32 (1939-1965)

Luchino Visconti: Great Italian director. Won Palme d'Or 1963 for The Leopard*. Best known for Death in Venice*; Rocco and His Brothers.4 of 14

Note: The asterisk ( * ) means the film has never been released on DVD in Region 1

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Those missing Bressons really bug me. Renoir too, ahem...Rules of the Game anyone. :angry:

While von Trier has his more famous films on DVD in R1, I'm still waiting to see Zentropa (aka Europa) hit R1.

Nagisa Oshima has 3 of his some 29 non-TV movies available. The one I am most interested in getting (since its one of the few I've seen) is "Death by Hanging".

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Almost don't need to post as Brian has covered most of the bases.

I would just add Sam Fuller who I believe has only 3 DVD's available which includes none of his 50's output.

Another would be Taiwan director Edward Yang who only has 1 film available.

Oh and Fruit Chan too! Nothing in R1, maybe 1 or 2 HK discs.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert Siodmak - One of the more accomplished noir directors of the '40s. We finally have The Killers on DVD from Criterion. ( 4 of 59 films on R1 DVD. )

- Walter.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Douglas Sirk - with all the accolades lavised upon Far From Heaven, you'd think Universal would put out something a little more than an unimpressive disc of Imitation of Life.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
You can add Andrzej Wajda to the list. So far, only Siberian Lady MacBeth has been released to R1 DVD.

SteveP

Second Unit
I sold popcorn to Peter Bogdonivich and Cybil Shephard when they came to Cinema I in Manhattan to see THE LAST TYCOON.

When they left after fifteen minutes, I called after them, "Aren't you even going to give it a chance?" Bogdonivich replied, "The popcorn was good!"

I realized later that I should have said, "Anybody who made AT LONG LAST LOVE has some nerve walking out on other people's movies!"

WillardK

Second Unit
Jon: There are 3 other Sirk's out that I know of. Two from Criterion and one from Kino (with Lucille Ball, "Lurid" I think).

Brian: Celine and Julie is on dvd?!! What label/region? I might have to get a region free player after all.

I second/third the request for more Bunuel. It looks like L'Age d'Or and Phantom of Liberty are planned, but where are Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz, El, Exterminating Angel, Los Olvidados... ?

...and strange that it's taking so long for any region 1 Satyajit Ray.

Almodovar's earlier films should get attention now that he's had two great successes in a row. I want Law of Desire and Matador especially. Last time I checked these weren't out in any region.

Derek Jarman is getting some attention finally but they need to hurry up and get to Wittgenstein, Carravagio, Last of England...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
WillardK: The films asterisked in my post have not been released on DVD in Region 1 (Sorry to get your hopes up for Celine and Julie Go Boating). I've edited my post to try to clarify that. I share your frustration regarding Luis Bunuel--one of my favorite directors.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I was happy to see PaulaJ mentioned Budd Boetticher

To my knowledge, only one of Boetticher's films, an early
noir ('Behind Locked Doors') is available on DVD, from
Kino.

However, I am particularly eager for Boetticher's westerns
to see the light of day on DVD, especially his seven
collaborations with Randolph Scott.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
There's still quite a lot of John Huston films not on DVD. Although I'm glad to hear that SIERRA MADRE is coiming this year. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Satyajit Ray: Arguably the greatest Indian director. Known for Apu Trilogy*; Devi*; The Music Room*. 0 of 28
Jalsaghar (The Music Room) is available on Region 0 NTSC DVD and reviewed HERE

There are a few other inaccuracies in regards to Brian's list (if you count Region 0 NTSC) that I will get to when I have more time. In short the solution is to get a multi-region player, then half that current list is available...

Regards,
Gary

Greg_M

Screenwriter
KEN RUSSELL

TOMMY & WOMEN IN LOVE are on DVD but as far as I know ...

The Devils
The Boy Friend
The Music Lovers
Malher
Savage Messiah
Valentino
Altered States
Lisztomania

Have yet to be released. Most of Russell's films give the screen quite a workout.

WillardK

Second Unit
Los Olividados (1950) come on a Region 0 NTSC disc with Las Hurdes (1933). It is reviewed
both out of print on a defunct(?) French label long ago. I did manage to get a defective copy of El/Criminal (lucky me). Those two films have been reissued by a Spanish label (in region for Spain). If anyone has either of those out of prints for trade let me know.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
both out of print on a defunct(?) French label long ago...
You can buy Los Olividados/Las Hurdes from this North American E-tailer:

http://www.machiaveldvd.com/

Although it is the same cover that I have it is listed as PAL, but I will contact the owner as I believe it may be the same NTSC one that I have and he is also getting copies of El/Criminal...

seek and ye shall find... :)

Gary

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Thanks for your input, Gary. I did clearly state in my post that I was only referring to Region 1 releases.

In my experience, information about international Region 0 NTSC releases is hard to come by. For instance, the Region 0 Bunuel DVDs you cite are not listed in IMDb. I checked out the DVDGo site, and it appears that the Bunuel releases are reasonably priced ($14-15 each + ~$10-11 shipping for up to 4 DVDs). However, if I do a general search there for Region 0 with English subs, I get 600+ hits & well over half of these are sex videos (not that there's anything wrong with that . . .)--and the Bunuel DVDs don't come up in the search results. Also, I'm unable to find the Los Olivados DVD you mention on DVDGo.

My point is that while R0 NTSC available outside the US might be a viable source for films currently unavailable in R1, I doubt the vast majority of folks will go to the trouble to track these down & purchase them, particularly if cost is a factor (as it is with me). I also like the fact that I can check out a large number of reviews (mostly using DVD-Basen--might be nice if Ole added a Region 0 category to his site) of R1 releases before deciding whether to buy.

Your website does a great service in educating people about availability outside of R1. In fact, based on your recommendation, I purchased the R0 Asmik release of Teshigahara's Woman in the Dunes--which I'm very pleased with, though (with shipping) it did cost close to 50 bucks.

An all-region player would be a very nice solution, but it's not economically feasible for me (if it were, I wouldn't be having this discussion), and perhaps not for others, either.

If you're aware of a reliable database which allows searches of Region 0 NTSC with English subs, please pass it along. Thanks.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.. I think you may be right WillardK... they are both PAL although have the exact same 2 movies, and same covers. I can guarantee mine are NTSC though... but now the ones for sale are PAL ?

I seem to recall the dicussion in my ListServ about another Spanish DVD E-tailer selling these NTSC ones ( no longer at DVDGO.com)... but I can't reacll the name of the site. I think Donald Brown knows...

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks