What's new

The Elia Kazan Collection Volume 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Volume One
Volume Two
Volume 1:
Boomerang
A Gentleman's Agreement
Panic in the Streets
Pinky
Volume 2:
Man on a Tightrope
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Wild River
Viva Zapata!
9927b95c_elliakazanvol2_bd_slipcase.jpeg

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
The links weren't working for me (because of the ellipses), but they do come up in a search:
Volume One
Volume Two
Both volumes have the same listing as the original DVD set, but I'm guessing it'll be updated later.
At $69.99 per volume, I can't imagine Fox including the licenced titles from Warner & Columbia (even though I'd love for East of Eden and On the Waterfront to be on Blu-Ray sooner rather than later). Since the "Forever Marilyn" Blu-Ray set was priced at 7 movies for $99.99 (SRP), perhaps each Kazan volume is 4 movies for $69.99 (SRP), so we'd only see the Fox films.
Volume 1?
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (1945, Fox)
Boomerang! (1947, Fox)
Gentleman's Agreement (1947, Fox)
Pinky (1949, Fox)
Volume 2?
Panic in the Streets (1950, Fox)
Viva Zapata! (1952, Fox)
Man On A Tightrope (1952, Fox)
Wild River (1960, Fox)
Not included?
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Warner) - already on Blu-Ray
On The Waterfront (1953, Columbia)
East of Eden (1954, Warner)
Baby Doll (1956, Warner)
A Face In The Crowd (1957, Warner)
Splendor in the Grass (1961, Warner)
America, America (1963, Warner)
A Letter to Elia (2010, PBS)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If done properly, Wild River would look really good on Blu-ray. I'm interested in Volume 2.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Well, On the Waterfront is a heavily hinted future Criterion title, so I doubt that one is included.
Hopefully this is actually coming. I'd gladly re-buy them in HD, though probably not right away. Funny how there has been absolutely no press release, assuming these are coming on September 11.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Escapay said:
Not included?
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Warner) - already on Blu-Ray
On The Waterfront (1953, Columbia)
East of Eden (1954, Warner)
Baby Doll (1956, Warner)
A Face In The Crowd (1957, Warner)
Splendor in the Grass (1961, Warner)
America, America (1963, Warner)
A Letter to Elia (2010, PBS)
The description for both volumes says it includes "A Letter to Elia".

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Andrew Budgell said:
The description for both volumes says it includes "A Letter to Elia".
But as I said in my first post, the description for both volumes is lifted verbatim from the original DVD set, and it's highly unlikely that both Blu-Ray volumes will each include 18 DVD discs.
I'd love for "A Letter to Elia" to be included in one of the volumes. Perhaps as a supplement on the A Tree Grows In Brooklyn disc. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The 18 Disc DVD box was priced at $199.98. For a retail price of $69.99 you're not going to get more than 4 Blu-ray movies per volume. It was kind of silly of them to put these up for pre-order without the actual details.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would be surprised if anything not already out on blu would be included in this set. Certainly films leased from other studios would not be included if the home studio hasn't already released it. To date I am unaware of a studio leasing a film to another studio in blu ray before they put the film out themselves. While Fox has included new to DVD films in large box sets before releasing them individually, I don't thing they have done this with blu ray nor have there been so many new to the format. Usually its just one or two in a box of many. i would also think there would a lot more publicity about a set with many new releases.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Garysb said:
To date I am unaware of a studio leasing a film to another studio in blu ray before they put the film out themselves.
Same here. I don't think it was even that common on DVD. The earliest instance I can recall of leasing a film from another studio was when Warner released their Kubrick box set in 1999. They included Dr. Strangelove, which had a day-and-date release of its own from Columbia. But I can't recall many other "inter-studio" box sets until much later in DVD's lifetime, like the aforementioned Kazan set.

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Volume 1:
Boomerang
A Gentleman's Agreement
Panic in the Streets
Pinky
Volume 2:
Man on a Tightrope
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Wild River
Viva Zapata!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by John Doe /t/323390/the-elia-kazan-collection-volume-1-2#post_3975257
Crawdaddy - sets have already been released on Sept.11.
Wow then these two boxsets must be exclusive to Fox Connect then.

Crawdaddy

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
This Eastwood set put out by WHV in 2000 (just before the aforementioned Kubrick set) included non-Warner titles, IN THE LINE OF FIRE and THE BEGUILED.
Escapay said:
Same here. I don't think it was even that common on DVD. The earliest instance I can recall of leasing a film from another studio was when Warner released their Kubrick box set in 1999. They included Dr. Strangelove, which had a day-and-date release of its own from Columbia. But I can't recall many other "inter-studio" box sets until much later in DVD's lifetime, like the aforementioned Kazan set.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ordered 'Wild River' by itself on ebay. I guess the seller was breaking up the set. It looks wonderful! Great clarity and color. Nice filmic look to it. A big upgrade from the DVD. It's a great film from Elia Kazan and the performances are top notch. I'm a big Montgomery Clift fan so it was worth the 20 bucks I paid for it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Each volume is currently about $45 so that would be $11.25 a film. At this point I think I will wait to see if Fox Connect has special pricing for Black Friday. Of course the price could go up but that is the chance you take. I am still amazed that there has been no publicity about these releases. I had forgotten about the thread until I got an e-mail from Home Theater Forum. Thanks for that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Garysb /t/323390/the-elia-kazan-collection-volume-1-2#post_3997169
Each volume is currently about $45 so that would be $11.25 a film. At this point I think I will wait to see if Fox Connect has special pricing for Black Friday. Of coursew the price could go up but that is the chance you take. I am still amazed that there no publicity about these releases. I had forgotten about the thread until I got an e-mail from Home Theater Forum. Thanks for that.
I have these on order, and will report on them when they arrive. There is a 10% coupon available, which brings the price down to $40/set

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks