What's new

Goodbye, Captain Jean-Luc Picard (this is NOT a death notice) (1 Viewer)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I had the same thought as Lou when I read the story at Cinema Confidential yesterday. They just took a quote and COMPLETELY misinterpreted it.
But it's too late now. This false rumor has probably spread everywhere by now.

It just bugs me to death how careless journalists sometimes are.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If Nemesis had raked in more than $100 million this discussion would be moot.

Why but oh why are the Paramount brass not doing what should seem obvious: gazing coldly and dispassionately upon the likes of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and making a serious decision?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Why but oh why are the Paramount brass not doing what should seem obvious: gazing coldly and dispassionately upon the likes of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and making a serious decision?
If this doesn't do it, what will?

And I don't even think Nemesis was that bad...but there is no creativity left in this franchise. It's turned into a milking operation.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This is from StudioBrief today:
[/b] [Newsday recounts Stewart's "worst encounter with a Star Trek groupie" when, he said, he went onstage in Shakespeare's The Tempest "only to find two people sitting in the front row in Starfleet uniforms, and I wanted to hurt them."]
Is it just me, or is Paramount completely ignoring the fact that multitudes of "former" Trek fans have been complaining that the output for the series of late has been crap? Necrosis was the worst Next Generation film of the lot, and one of the worst of all 10 films. Enterprise is somewhere between painfully dreadful and mediocre on a weekly basis. Why does Paramount immediately assume there is no interest left instead of investigating fan complaints?

Who do we have to tell?

DanHaya

Second Unit
Frankly, I think it's time for Paramount to jettison Berman & Braga and to beg Michael Piller to come back! The best years of the last 15 of Trek were when Piller was in charge of the writing staff. Or maybe bring in the Wachowski Brothers...

Furthermore, I wouldn't mind a movie combining some of the TNG cast with the DS9 cast...maybe a "Search for Sisko" type of storyline.

I think that once Berman & Braga are gone that the folks at Paramount will realize how worthless those two guys are!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is it just me, or is Paramount completely ignoring the fact that multitudes of "former" Trek fans have been complaining that the output for the series of late has been crap? ... Why does Paramount immediately assume there is no interest left instead of investigating fan complaints?
Because as far as Paramount is concerned, they can do no wrong. If you're a true Trekkie/Trekker, you will show up at the theater for any film that has "Star Trek" in the title, no matter what the quality. This is why Lansing is under the impression that the fanbase has shrunk. Few people went to the theater so the blame must lie in the quantity of the fanbase, not the quality of the film. :rolleyes

I do think the Stewart quotes are being taken all out of context. He stated repeatedly when making the promotional rounds for ST:N that he was game for another film and that there was a sequel just begging to be made that followed from "Nemesis." I think his quote reflects the realities of the financial point-of-view, rather than his feelings about the character/series.

But if he was really concerned about the TNG series, he should have said, "I'd like to make another TNG film, though not until Berman and Braga have left the franchise."

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I think he essentially has said this. He, Frakes, and Spiner offered to take the creative reins over. They've been turned down. In fact, this new quote of his could be an attempt to negotiate such terms. Berman and Braga need to go, but it won't be easy...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see Stewart & Frakes in charge. I'm not sure about Spiner. He seems more ego than ideas. The only idea I've seen him put forth was "we need to kill Data".

I've really enjoyed what Frakes and Stewart have brought to the series though. Paramount ought to give them a film to prove themselves.

I do wonder that Stewart is fed up with having to sell a bad film like Necrosis as if it's the second coming. After all his positive talk about the feature, I was left wondering if he saw a different film than I.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I wonder if Nemesis would've done better if TTT hadn't coming out just one week after it? In my opinion, it came out at one of the worst times possible. They should've released it later when the wonder of TTT had died down and when crap like Boat Trip was out. Of course, a quality film sells itself usually, and I just can't bring myself to say that Nemesis was a quality film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In my opinion, it came out at one of the worst times possible.
No arguments here. I believe there's a multi-page thread somewhere here lamenting what a bad decision it was. If I recall, the film was supposed to debut November 22 but Paramount, in their wisdom, pushed it back to the same weekend as TTT and got their ass handed to them.

EDIT: That thread is here.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
leaving aside what Stewart's personal opinion of Nemesis was, he'd be obligated to say good things about it in doing promotions, yes? rather offputting if your lead says, "well, this movie is OK, not great etc etc". of course he's going to say it's the best one yet!

I wonder if they'll try merging the three casts together somehow (TNG, DS9 and Voyager). Janeway got a cameo after all. however, somehow I don't think it would work.

it would be interesting to see an "after action report" on Voyager though, we know Janeway got bumped to admiral, but what about the rest? do the Maquis get pardons (they bloody well should!) and reinstated if they were ex-Starfleet? e.g. does Chakotay get his own ship, or even Voyager itself (but it would probably go into mothballs as a museum piece, yes?) how does the Doctor progress? and more interestingly, Seven?

but this is the realm of fanboys, I can't see the rest of the public being the slightest bit interested, and this means such a movie would not be financially viable. would Paramount ever make a TV-movie? and is there any published fiction on this? (there's just way too much out there so I don't keep track of ST books at all.)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who thinks Stewart should have ANYTHING to do with the creative process should remember that he had to OK the Insurrection shooting script for the movie to go foward.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who thinks Stewart should have ANYTHING to do with the creative process should remember that he had to OK the Insurrection shooting script for the movie to go foward.
I do. I've never been able to decide which film I like better, First Contact, or Insurrection. I think both were great films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks