What's new

Goodbye, Captain Jean-Luc Picard (this is NOT a death notice) (1 Viewer)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
In a way I think that's good, whilst I still have a soft spot in my heart for TNG, I think it was holding him back.

Hopefully his performance in X2 will result in his casting in a lot more interesting motion pictures.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Hopefully his performance in X2 will result in his casting in a lot more interesting motion pictures
Yeah, like bald leaders who spout wisdom in a soothing British accent while leading a band/crew to victory over...wait a minute!

He needs to do another "Jeffrey." That was a break out role and he got little lip service about it.

Phil

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
That being said, I would love to see him in a dramatic role that could break his typecast of Picard. I know he can do it. Let's hope he does.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That being said, I would love to see him in a dramatic role that could break his typecast of Picard.
He's done that pretty effectively in several roles, including Conspiracy Theory and the TV production of Moby Dick. (And as Phil already mentioned, Jeffrey.)

M.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Jesus, I thought this was an obituary for Patrick Stewart. Way to scare a guy shitless :b

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Jeez Thomas, don't do that to me. I was terrified that Patick Stewart had died and you were memorializing his most well-known role. Factor in a butt-slow internet connection for whatever reason tonight and I almost had a hernia, then immediately raptured it.

Sorry to see no more Star Trek, I just hope that he'll start getting noticed. Great actor, but he doesn't get a lot of big jobs.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
He's done that pretty effectively in several roles, including Conspiracy Theory and the TV production of Moby Dick.
Sorry, I meant a lead role in a big movie.

Oops, sorry about the title. :b

Michael, would you please change the subject further to "Goodbye, Captain Jean-Luc Picard (this is NOT a death notice)"? Thanks.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if he and the rest of the Trek folks had worked with better producers and writers over the last few years, the franchise wouldn't have gotten so stale and we'd have seen another good picture or two with him as Picard.

F Berman. F Braga. :thumbsdown:

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
They can't do Star Trek films that will make real money anymore...they just can't! They make them like long TV episodes now; there's no grandeur, no epic quality to any of the TNG films. And that's been their downfall from the start...

They need to outclass all the previous films in terms of story, acting, and BUDGET, if they have a chance to reel in non-fans (or even FANS, by the looks of Nemesis' grosses!)

Patrick Stewart is an actor; the rest of the crew, let's face it, have always been pretty bland. I'm glad to see him moving onward and upward!

-Dennis

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I haven't seen Nemesis yet (waiting for the DVD) but the last Star Trek film that I really liked was The Undiscovered Country. Out of the Star Trek universe I think Picard is the only remaining character that's strong enough to build a film around. A DS9, Voyager, or Captain Riker film would be great for TNT movie of the week or direct to video release but that's about it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How reliable is this information? Who is Lisa*Zlotnick and where can I read the entire interview?

Thanks

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
What he really says is in regards to playing Picard is:

I don’t think so. I think the Next Generation is over with. I’ve probably said goodbye to Picard forever now."
This reads more like his analysis of the probability of another TNG movie and not his refusal to play Picard again.

The headline on the article is very misleading and if I were Stewart I'd be pissed!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I agree with Lou. I think Stewart's made it pretty clear in other interviews that he'd love to more Trek, it's just out of his hands.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
".....this is NOT a death notice"

Well it should be - they should have killed off Picard years ago.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ahh.. the great Picard.....

Maybe he should be saying in his famous accent...

"Time to go out to pasture. Number one..you have the bridge."

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i have a hard time believing this too. unless its on startrek.com or i see him say it. cause on the nemesis site as the movie was coming out, they had interviews up that he said the tag line was made up at the last minute by the marketing people, that one line about a generations last voyage or whatever, and that he was looking forward to doing more movies

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Is my memory failing me or are the Star Trek actors always talking like this after every movie? Given how much Stewart gets for the part I think he puts himself in a better negotiating position if he doesn't appear ready and willing to play the part immediately after finishing one of the movies. Of course, if the quality doesn't go up drastically from Nemesis than it shouldn't come back at all.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The first role I ever saw Patrick Stewart in was Sejanus in the TV mini-series I Claudius. After that, he didn't have to prove anything to me anymore.
Later he was Karla, in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, another baddy.

He was a great Shakespeare actor already then and I suppose Picard has been good for him commercially and will always be his most famous character (but not his most difficult one).

BTW in Tinker, etc. he met Alec Guinness - another well known SF actor ( :) ).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks