What's new

Goodbye, Captain Jean-Luc Picard (this is NOT a death notice) (1 Viewer)

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Rob -

I am not sure of Avery Brooks has a desire to reprise Captain Sisko. And I also think that Rene is also not likely to return.

Additionally, when production ended on DS9, most of the sets were destroyed, not stored. That would mean a huge cost outlay to re-build.

As much as I love DS9, I am not holding out hope for them to transition to the big screen.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: I agree. Insurrection[/q] stunk. It was in competition with Star Trek V for worst TREK film ever......at least until Star Trek: Nemesis came along. Now it is a three-way tie for worst TREK ever. In fact, all of the TNG Theatrical films have been mediocre, at best.

Brad M

Second Unit
I'm not afraid to say I liked Nemesis. I did. I've liked most of the movies and own them all on dvd. However, I never did watch the tv series. IMO if they do push forward with another movie I think the series is overdue for an all-out galactic war. That's the one thing I've always wanted to see. We get just a small taste at the beginning of First Contact but it needs to be bigger than that. Hell, turn the Vulcans on Starfleet. Anything. I'd at the very least like to see one more movie that says goodbye and that blows up big ships. :D

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'm glad he quit...his talents are far more than what Star Trek writing has been giving him lately...

I wish they'd just give up on ST...they're tryin to squeeze every last penny arent they...whats next a DS9 movie? Wow...that'll really tank...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I believe Star Trek Generations used sets from the TV series.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Tino, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. I recall reading an article about the crews tearing down the TV sets and turning around and rebuilding them for the movie. At the time I thought, "WTF? Why would they do something that wasteful?" but I think the quality of TV sets is not up to what they make for films. Also, the bridge set is slightly different in Generations (it has additional work stations along the side ramps, IIRC -- it's been a while).

Terry St

Second Unit
I wonder how a Star Trek movie directed by Terry Gilliam would turn out...

The Planet Brazil?
Fear and Loathing in Ten Forward?
Lost in the Paramount Backlots?

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
The bridge set for "Generations" was modified from the standard set used for the TV show. There was no time to tear-down and rebuild, since they basically finished "All Good Things" one week, and started filming "Generations" the next week...

As far as the DS9 sets not being detailed enought for film work, I would disagree. DS9 had one of the biggest capital budgets of any ST series starting off. I would believe that the sets would be up to motion picture filming.

Oh, as an aside, ST2-TWOK entered production as a TV movie then changed over to a film release. The new sets built (genesis cave, Regula-1) were fine.

With "Nemesis" a total BOMB at the box office, Paramount will not lay out the cash needed to re-create the DS9 sets.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Probably what happened was the quality of Insurrection is what lowered the "fan base" for Nemesis, which had an abnormally low opening box office. People, fans or whatever just didn't give the film a chance, and what they heard from diehards wasn't overwelmingly positive helping them to keep away. Do not pretend to think the masses go to the movies based on quality. If it was based on quality, Lord of the Rings and Maid in Matthattan would've tanked horribly.

I happened to really like Nemesis (there was a lot going on, under the surface with Picard and Shiznon, stuff nobody ever got, or wanted to get), and loved seeing the TNG crew back in action again. A lot of the nitpicks are of the kind that really give Star Trek fans, trekkies a bad name. So much bitching about Braga and Berman kind of creates a self fullfilling prophecy. Reminds me of how X-files fans started creating negative buzz after the X-Files movie (an excellent movie), despite the series maintaining a high level of quality untill the 9th season (where they basically lost the plot, but that series ender and a couple other episodes were great). Funny how the net saved the show and helped kill the show later on. Makes me wonder if these people actually liked the show they spend so much time talking about. Fanboys are are always dishonest.

Anyways...the only way I can see a new Trek movie happening, is if somebody actually looks at what Star Trek is really about, then make a movie about it, while having an epic scope. The movie should be made because somebody has a profound vision that must be made, regardless of potential box office returns. There's a sense of wonder, adventure and discovery, as well as huge epic scope that has been missing in the Star Trek movies of late. Though a hard sci fi story wouldn't be so profound to me, a bunch of wannabe scientists who think they know everything, when they don't understand anything, hard to find good stories from that group of "thinkers".

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I completely disagree...Nemesis was a pretty bad movie...and people saw it...hell most of the fans dont like it...and everyone I've talked to didnt like it at all...and LOTR...thats quality right there...and people know it...thats why it rakes in the $$$...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mikel,

Read my previous post. He was a Shakespeare actor long before TNG, and did film and TV work.

A few titles:
Lady Jane (1986), Dune (1984), Smiley's People (1982), The Plague Dogs (1982) voice only, Excalibur (1981), Little Lord Fauntleroy (1980), Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1980), Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (1980) TV, I, Claudius (1976) mini TV Series, Antony and Cleopatra (1974) TV.

And many more.

Cees

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
. . . not to mention a funny little role in "LA Story." Bet you all missed that one.

For the poll: liked Insurrection, Nemesis was ok. Nothing sucks like ST-V.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have to respond to this one as it astounds me so:
Reminds me of how X-files fans started creating negative buzz after the X-Files movie (an excellent movie), despite the series maintaining a high level of quality untill the 9th season (where they basically lost the plot, but that series ender and a couple other episodes were great).
X-files was top notch until the end of season 7, when they lost not only Mulder, but their direction and interest. Most of season 8 and 9 are utterly unwatchable. I returned for the series finale which was one of the top 2 most dissapointing series finales ever (Seinfeld). I intend to buy season 7, and stop.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"despite the series maintaining a high level of quality untill the 9th season"

"X-files was top notch until the end of season 7"

Im probally in the minority here but Id say the X-Files started a serious downward spinal during Season 5 - unwatchable way before season 8.

Id given up on the show already but at someones house watched the episode where Mulder switched bodies with Michael McKean. Watching Mulder dance in front of the mirror made me vow to never again have anything to do with the show.

Concerning Star Trek, I say hire some new blood for the creative team, stick Riker on a ship with LaForge and away we go!

There are other characters that can be brought in - Paris, Seven,Bashir,Shelby,Barclay etc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks