What's new

Global Warming and Sea Level (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's something,

Rather than worry about a sea level rise, isn't there some use we could make out of all that extra water if/when it does melt and head our way? For instance, some kind of clean alternative to gas....but I don't know if cars can be made to run on salt water...

benjaminBen

Stunt Coordinator
i am not worried about the sea level rising, there are proven studies that show it is not going to rise a ton.... if you fill a glass of ice filled water all the way to the top and the ice melts the cup doesn't overflow!!!!

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

Thats if the ice is already in the water. The worries come from the glaciers on land that would be adding to the oceans. Ice is all fresh water that would be diluting salty ocean water, it would also be cooling the ocean tempuratures.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

See the global warming and refinery threads for details. In short, hydrogen would have to be electrochemically extracted from water to use it as fuel. Since the law of thermodynamics states you cannot get more energy from a reaction than you put in, hydrogen will always require more energy to extract than you get back when you burn it as fuel. It is a net loss, especially if you use todays fuels to get the energy to extract it. Now, if we found a cheap, replenishable and clean source of energy to extract the hydrogen, hydrogen is a great clean energy carrier. Now all we have to do is find a cheap, replenishable and clean source of energy.;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A: You wouldn't be able to make a container large enough to store all the water.

and

B: Even if you did find a way to use it as an energy source, it would still fall back to Earth as massive rain.

I'm no scientist ;) but I would imagine that it would be a massive undertaking in trying to then collect all the falling rain water and deliver it back to the massive storage tank. There's just no way of getting rid of it.

The best thing to do would be to invent a GIANT freezer device to ensure the ice caps stay frozen. ;) Or we could find a way to invent that "Space Elevator" and send the melted ice water to Mars. That'll shut those scientists up about trying to prove that there was water on Mars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks