What's new

garage storage... (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for some ideas to organize my garage after I move. What type of shelving do you use?

Currently I've put up some boards with metal L brackets from home depot, and they work OK but I don't feel they really maximize the space available. I was thinking of some sort of gorilla shelf type thing like costco sells, but I'm not sure if it'll be too big until I stuff both cars in there and measure.
Home depot sells some cheap white cabinets, but I think I could fit less in there than my current shelving...

so, what do you guys do?

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

Philip,

I recently installed some wall mounted shelving that I bought at Lowe's. I love it, it gets everything up off of the floor and holds alot of heavy stuff (600 lbs per shelf!)

Here are some pics of my shelving.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Hey, that's nice!

Might I ask how much it ran you?

the stuff I used in my current place is just the old screw the supports to the wall and put the boards on it, I like the adjustable shelving, maybe that's my answer.

I've got a LOT of stuff. Lots of tools, two cars, a lawnmower, my compressor etc etc that all needs to fit in the garage :frowning:
No storage elsewhere :angry:

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

Thanks, I really like the shelving. The main reason I bought the shelving is because I wanted to get all my junk off the garage floor so I could paint that rustoleum epoxy on it.

These costs are approximate.

Hang track (1) -$15
Standards (5) @ $13 ea = $65
6-Ft Shelves (4) @ $13 ea = $52
Brackets 5 per shelf- 20 @ $5 each = $100 (ridiculous just for brackets!!)
Assorted hardware = another $10 or so.

With tax, I probably spent $250. Expensive, but you get a lot of shelf space while taking up no floor space. Plus it’s very heavy duty and can hold a lot of weight. I doubt you could buy that much shelving space with floor shelfs for less than that amount.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
My girlfriend and I just spent the weekend organizing her three car garage. We bought 10-15 various sized hooks and a 5 shelf metal rack from Lowes. It was called Muscle-tech or something like that. It was just over $70 and everything slotted together, no tools required to assemble. Each shelf holds up to 1500 lbs and it can be either one single unit or two smaller ones. Works great, didn't cost much and went together in about 30 minutes.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

Thanks!
The Rustoleum Epoxy compound was quite a bit of work to apply....but my garage floor is about 9 years old and was in need of alot of cleaning which is imperative for this stuff to bond to your floor. I imagine a new/clean garage floor wouldn't be near as much trouble, since the cleaning is at least half the sweat. As far as the painting itself, it's kinda hectic cause you've got to roll on a section (I did about a 6' x 6' section) and then sprinkle the decorative chips (optional, but a nice touch I think) while that section is still wet. Throw in the trimming you have to do around the walls/steps, etc. and you've got a job on your hands...it's ideally a two-man job, but I did it myself because of time constraints. I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out.

I didn't have many cracks, but the floor was very dirty and stained (3 labs USED to have run of my garage) I used a pressure washer on as much of the floor that I could stand doing. Then I used the acid treatment (supplied in the kit) that you mix with water and used a stiff-bristled push broom and did some scrubbing. I let it dry overnight and did the painting the next evening, it was basically a two-evening, 6-7 hour job. This epoxy stuff is different than paint, as a matter of fact, they advise you to toss all the brushes and rollers you use with the stuff. It really has seemed to bond well, despite the fact I didn't think I did that great a job of getting the floor totally clean.

Here are some before-during-after pics:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have a rustoleum kit in the garage waiting for the instant I close to be applied. The current place I used the behr epoxy and don't care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks