What's new

A question on Garden Hoses (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think I am not alone in saying that I dislike garden hoses -- and perhaps it is because, over the many years of my life, I have chosen cheap or ineffective ones.

Over the past few years, I have bought retractable hoses. These are the hoses that shrink when not in use. I thought they would be perfect due to being extremely lightweight, and easy to wrap up in the hand for storage. However, all four that I owned sprouted leaks within the first two years of ownership.

This time around I want to buy a regular hose. I need one that's 75 feet and the only use I have for it is to wash my car.

My budget is about $100 which would be perfect (or even overkill) for a quality hose of that length.

However, as I thought about it, if I went with a regular hose, I would have to constantly wrap it by hand after use before storing it
in my garage.

I could buy one of those cheap plastic wheels to better organize the hose. However, I have owned a few of those and they tend to fall apart.

61VgT1u8YoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looking through Amazon I saw this and thought, "What a great idea!"

I like the portability of this hose and holder. The hose automatically recoils back into the unit for easy storage.

There's a $60 coupon bringing the cost down to $100 which is in budget

I do have two big questions though...

While something like this seems portable in the sense I can carry it from usage to storage in the garage, I see no handle on it to carry. All of these types of devices have mounting hardware. I don't want to mount it.

Can this be used as a portable hose that I can carry from one location to another?

And with the pull factor (pulling the hose out of the retractor), does it need to be mounted to give it the ability to be properly pulled out?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these types of hose reels and if you would even recommend it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
And with the pull factor (pulling the hose out of the retractor), does it need to be mounted to give it the ability to be properly pulled out?

I have ZERO experience with this product, but just looking at the construction it sure looks like it...

A) Needs to be mounted to more easily retract the hose (or)
B) You'd need a helper to hold the case while you pull out the hose.

At first glance it certainly appears to be designed for a mounted installation.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have ZERO experience with this product, but just looking at the construction it sure looks like it...

A) Needs to be mounted to more easily retract the hose (or)
B) You'd need a helper to hold the case while you pull out the hose.

At first glance it certainly appears to be designed for a mounted installation.

- Walter.

Thanks, Walter. They all seem to be like that.

If I could find one with a carry handle, it would be perfect.

The search continues...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Isn't that a handle on the top/back? The angle of your picture above seems to hide it.

1714058601650.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Isn't that a handle on the top/back? The angle of your picture above seems to hide it.

View attachment 220714

It is. Did not see that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now the question remains whether I would need someone to hold the reel while pulling the hose out.

Amazon used to allow you to ask questions about the product but they removed that feature last year probably due to abusive responses that you usually find just about everywhere.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It looks like maybe it easily lifts off of that mounting panel. Perhaps you just buy more than one mounting panel and then carry the hose to the panel you want to use it at. It looks like that has just two prongs that you lift it off of. I think that is why it has the handle.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My mother-in-law had this:

and this:

Not great but more than serviceable and inexpensive to boot.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Way over budget but you would never buy another hose or reel. Mine are almost 10 years old and still look and function as new. The prices have increased a bit since I bought mine.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a 100 ft. collapsible hose for our South Carolina condo, and use this simple solution. The entire holder easily lifts out of the ground when I want to store it during the times we are not down there. Like you, Ron, I just use the hose to wash the car (and golf cart in our case). For the hose, I bought a Higen brand off Amazon, but it appears that particular one is no longer available. The hose has held up fine for a couple of years, but we are only down there about 25% of the time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.

George, those are beautiful reels/carts but, yes, certainly out of budget.

The stand that Scott mentioned is out of stock but Amazon lists many similar choices

I might just opt to go with a good hose and one of the stands in the above link.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hi Ron. I would assume that retractable hose reel you listed works very similar to retractable air hose reels at some of my customers’ sites. With those, the reel has to be mounted to a stationary surface and it takes a little force to pull the air hose from the reel. Once it locked into place, you have to pull the hose again to release the locking mechanism within the reel and it will auto-retract.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Ron. I would assume that retractable hose reel you listed works very similar to retractable air hose reels at some of my customers’ sites. With those, the reel has to be mounted to a stationary surface and it takes a little force to pull the air hose from the reel. Once it locked into place, you have to pull the hose again to release the locking mechanism within the reel and it will auto-retract.

Thanks for solidifying the thoughts from other posts in this thread.

It does seem like that if I want a retractable hose, it will have to be mounted to give a secure hold against the hose pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallett17
Recent bookmarks