What's new

Gah! Oscars Host... (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Let's see, I believe she has won an Oscar.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Doesn't say much for the Oscars does it?
Of course I don't have much regard for a 16 day (is it really only 4 hours?) overdressed pompous glorification of political correctness & BO receipts anyway. If they ever actually got around to celebrating good film-making, somebody please let me know and I might start taking some interest.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Agree on Whoopi being a terrible host, especially this year. Her humor is too raw and leftist to appeal to today's audience ... What would be interesting is if Robert Altman were to orchestrate a 3 hour epic docudramedy of the show.
Let's see, Whoopi is too leftist, but one of the more extreme left wing radicals in all of Hollywood, Robert Altman, is OK. Well not with me.

Travis D

Second Unit
I think Samuel L. Jackson would be great. However I'm afraid the writers would just get into "White People drive like this, but Black People drive like this," (that's from the Simpsons if you're wondering) routine just because he is black. God forbid they could write good non-race based comedy (or how about just GOOD comedy first) for a great African American actor as a host.

It would also be good if he could host, because I've gotten the impression that nobody can hate Sam L. It's impossible to do since the guy has a great off-camera attitude. Therefore attacks, really wouldn't be attacks, they'd be like a huge Celebrity Roast. Everyone would know it was a joke and everyone would hopefully learn to laugh at themselves. A boy can dream can't he.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

You totally confused what I said. I was talking about 2 separate things. First off the host; I could never see Altman hosting, he's the direct anti-thesis of an oscar host. I like the idea of Sam Jackson, a man who is charming and stately enough to carry the show. I thought it would be interesting to see Robert Altman direct a docudramedy style film about the oscars. His charisma lies behind the camera not in front of. In terms of politics, yes Altman like all celebrities should keep his personal opinions to himself or at least express them creatively. It always rubs me the wrong way when celebrities or famous artists make direct, ill-informed political statements. Most of time they come off looking idiotic (Altman's rant about Hollywood causing 9/11). Express it though your art people!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I love it when people slam the oscars, except when it suits their purpose.

As for Whoopie not being bothered about Danson showing up with a black face, what's wrong with that? She's adult enough to not be so thin-skinned. She's mature enough to say who cares. Maybe she realizes that some things aren't all that important to get into a big stink about. Maybe some others in this country ought to be like that. People get offended at the least little thing. As for her political views, it seems some are slamming here because she's a liberal. Most of Hollywood is liberal. The only people that would dislike someone because she's liberal, would have to be someone that holds the opposite view, in other words, a conservative.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
It's a matter of tastes. I for one don't care for Whoopi's sense of humor and think that it cheapens the oscar awards ceremony. I suppose if you want to consider the Oscars as a guilty pleasure then Whoopi fits the bill. Unfortunately unlike a car wreck that the oscars can sometimes be, Whoopi makes me want to turn away. I've liked some of Whoopi's performances but I also liked Roseanne on her t.v. show. God forbid I'd want Roseanne to host the oscar ceremony. Let Whoopi host hollywood squares and leave the Oscars to someone a little more dignified.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
When you say "dignified" you mean someone like Steve Martin who attacks Crowe in a sleazy manner all night? Oh well, I guess you're welcome to your opinion. But this is not cancer we're curing here. That's one of the problems with the Oscars. They need to frickin' lighten up and stop taling itself so seriously as a show. I'm not saying we need just turn it into a backyard bar-b-cue, but c'mon. It doesn't need to have it's nose stuck so high up in the air that you can see boogers, either.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Let Whoopi host hollywood squares and leave the Oscars to someone a little more dignified.
:laugh::laugh:
I 2nd that. I thought Steve Martin was great last year. Perhaps Whoopi will show clips from such excellent films as "Theodore Rex" or "A Knight In Camelot." Anyone else remember her last Oscar gig when she just said "it's ok, I'll wait....let it sink in" everytime her jokes tanked? Ugh.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I couldn't care less about the Oscars and never watch them, but my curiosity is peaked: what did Steve Martin say about Russel Crowe?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Mainly jokes about Russell supposed breakup of Meg Ryan's breakup, as well as his rumored love of women. Quite franly, I know of no heterosexual man that doesn't love women. One small joke would have been fine. But he made 3 or 4 jokes during the night, and they progressively got more insulting. But some people might not have found anything wrong with them. But targeting one man, especially a nominee all night is rude and tactless.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Out of all the hosts, Whoopi stunk it up the most.
You're kidding right? I guess you forgot David Letterman, a guy who I like. But Letterman was 10 times worse than Whoopie. He brought out a frickin' dog to do a stupid pet trick.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You're kidding right? I guess you forgot David Letterman, a guy who I like. But Letterman was 10 times worse than Whoopie. He brought out a frickin' dog to do a stupid pet trick.
At least he didn't go on a political tirade. South Park nailed that one. Every time I hear that crap I want to yell: "Hey, Whoopie, pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike.. I don't need your drivel" (paraphrasing Dennis Leary) I can deal with a lot, but being lectured about politics when you just want to see some damn awards handed out was the equivelent of getting teeth drilled at the dentist.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Conan O'Brien to host the Oscars!!!!!
I wish...
He'd be good, to bad he'll never be considered :frowning:
Mike

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well say what you want, but it's not nearly as bad as bringing a fricking dog out onstage. Who the hell wants to see a damn dog chase his tail at the Academy Awards?

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
I totally admire Russell Crowe as an actor and as many will agree he's one of the best working today. However, from all the interviews I have seen with the man, he seems to have a major ego and one that bruises easily. I honostly don't remember what the big deal was but if there was some animosity between the two I'm going to have to side with Martin. I mean come on, take yourself a little more lightly. Not only are you a famous actor but a cheesy rock and roller that gets women's panties thrown at you too. Life really must suck for Mr. Crowe. Maybe if Russell would of smoked a little bud with Jack Nicholson before hand he wouldn't have been so uptight.;)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
There was really no animosity between the two. Martin just saw fit to pick on him. Once was fine, but to continue it was unecessary. As for Crowe, everytime I've ever seen him in interviews, he was always playful and funny. Never surly like some say he is. I've never seen him display that ego either. But let's be honest. These are movie stars, famous people that get coddled all the time. They all have huge egos. So would you.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Martin picked on everyone. The reason he kept going after Crowe as because he made himself an easy target: he sat there and gave Martin a dirty look and had a big scowl on his face. He came off as totally pretentious and unable to laugh at himself or take a joke.

I doubt that's the reason why he's not coming back, god I hope not.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
What? Let's see, I believe she has won an Oscar.
So has Julia "I play the same role every time" Roberts. That says a lot about the Oscars. Especially since she beat out Ellen Burstyn, who gave one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in Requiem for a Dream.

Whoopie is crap. She is not funny, she cannot act, and anyone who has appeared on Hollywood Squares should not even be asked to host an Insurance Seminar.

Steve Martin was great and I loved the way he bashed Crowe. I like Crowe as an actor but with all that he allegedly did last year, he had it coming. He obviously can't take a joke and he got real lucky winning the award last year. I think the only reason he won it is because the Academy refuses to give another award to Tom Hanks. Hanks' performance in Cast Away was miles above the smug Gladiator.

The only way I am watching the Oscars this year is if LOTR, A.I., Moulin Rouge, and Memento get some Nominations.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks