What's new

Gah! Oscars Host... (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
CNN is saying the Oscars will be hosted by Whoopie Goldberg.

What in Gods name could cause them to want to inflict this kind of torture?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I wish Billy Crystal was hosting again. He is very quick-witted and very entertaining.

Didn't Whoopie host a few years back?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thank God I no longer watch the oscars!!! I normally at least click on for a few minutes here and there just to see if anyone is making some bizarre clothing statement. But Whoopie is just too much for me to handle in even the smallest of soundbites.
I would actually watch the Oscars if they would let Letterman do it.
I'm sure Ron will be thrilled when he sees this, If I recall he's a huge fan of Whoopie's :D

Brian E

Screenwriter
CNN is saying the Oscars will be hosted by Whoopie Goldberg.
:eek:
smiley_puke2.gif

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I thought David Letterman was genuinely funny as the host of the Oscars. I was honestly surprised to be told the next day, by the various entertainment media outlets, that he had bombed. To my mind the only real "mistake" he made was not displaying what the Academy seems to deem appropriate reverence for the occasion. They hired Dave because he's Dave and then were surprised when he acted like, well...Dave.
"Be yourself. But not TOO much."
Whatever.
Anyway, Ronbo will be delighted to hear about Whoopi's return. :)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Let me expand on my original post Mitty: the reason why I thought Dave's hosting gig was a bomb was because it was simply a wrong idea to pair up Letterman and the Oscars, whose respective shows couldn't be farther apart from each other.
Dave was just too urbane and satirical for both the show and its tone. A few jokes aside, the execution was poor; like you suggested, it was clear that Letterman was trying to be himself and turn the Oscars into a 3-hour version of his own show (Stupid Pet Tricks, the segment with the cab drivers, his Cabin Boy cameo, etc.), which was the wrong way to go about it. The concept may have sounded great on paper, but it was just one of those ideas that was doomed to fail.
However, I have to give Letterman massive props for his hilarious, self-deprecating cameo in the opening montage for the '96 Oscars. :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Out of all the hosts, Whoopi stunk it up the most. I have the tape of her oscars around somewhere. I just might have to dig it up and see how truly awful she was.
She made those bad political comments and jokes.
I also remember Kurt Russell or Goldie Hawn actually leaving their seat for a bit, and she commented to them as they were leaving.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Damn! This is the year of the Lord of the Rings. I want the Oscar ceremony to be perfect!

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Here's an idea. How about they get an engaging host with no script and they just present some awards without the need to have bad scripted jokes or anything. I can't stand the 'false' live aspect to this sort of thing.
Anyway, is Cast Away in the running? Please God, not another bloody terrible speech from Tom Hanks. I used to like him, you know. :frowning:

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Cast Away was in the running for last year's Oscars.. IIRC it was released in December in the USA. (although sometime in early Spring in dear old Blighty)

So relax, Theo. We're probably safe.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Oscars are becoming harder & harder to watch for me. It's one big Hollywood masturbation party. The only thing that might make it watchable for me is to have Don Rickles host it and he can skewer everyone in the audience.

It's hard to believe that this was once my favorite show as a kid.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This will actually be Whoopi's 4th time hosting the Oscars. I haven't enjoyed any of her three previous outings. Why do they keep bringing her back??
I have to wonder why Steve Martin wasn't asked back. He did a great job last year. Maybe Russell Crowe is still mad at him. ;)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I thought Steve Martin was the best out of recent years. He was definately the funniest, I just find Billy Crystal annoying. But I would still prefer Billy over Whoopie, she is the most unfunny person to host. Why they are going with her is beyond me.
How can you criticise Lettterman for hosting? His:
Uma, Oprah, Oprah Uma bit was a classic comedy moment ;)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Great, now my Oscar party is gonna start off on a sucky note.

There was an interesting show recently about Bruce Villanch, who writes most of the Oscar scripts. He talked about how Whoopie crossed the line on one her last outings with her "I've often wondered what color my wind was" (after the "Colors of the Wind" performance from Pocohontas.).

Hey, this is my 500th post! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of the classic Whoopi Goldberg-doing-an-awards-show segment on an episode of South Park 3d season:
Whoopi: I hate Republicans.
(big laugh on laugh track)
Whoopi: Republicans are so stupid.
Whoopi: I hate Republicans.
:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I have so much disdain for the Oscars that I thouroughly enjoyed watching Letterman demolish it, even if it was an accident.

(Ok, I know what you're thinking: if I hate the Oscars so much, why did I watch it? Well, I was at my parents' house and my mom was watching, and I used to watch Letterman.)

Whoopi Goldberg isn't funny anymore, but people like to say she is. They think it makes them look cool. She does have a lot of talent, it just isn't used well.

Who was Oscar, anyway?

Who should host the Oscars? Three words:

Andrew Dice Clay

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Mike, ADC would be perfect. I do enjoy the Oscars, but I also enjoy skewering them:D Basically, Hollywood gets together to congratulate themselves on being a big version of MTV. Hip, edgy, concerned, conscientious, wise, successful, and the underdog at the same time - all packaged by THE MAN and delivered to your door. It's where they wear major $$$'s worth of clothes and jewelry and tell us that it's about the "art" and that they are just like us:) Funny, funny stuff. The best is when someone is fairly honest and forthright, he's ridiculed the next morning for being pretentious (see R. Crowe).
But I do like them...and I do care who wins!
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Edited for grammar. They need someone outside the system to be a really good host. I liked Steve Martin a lot, but I'd like Chris Rock even more:)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'll be the lone dissenter. I prefer Crystal, but I like Whoopie. She's funny to me, and she's not afraid to be a little dirty in her humor. Hey, the Oscars need lightening up. But what do I know. I thought the AP3 trailer was funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks