What's new

Gah! Oscars Host... (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
You've got to be kidding me Jason.
Why? Why does everybody think he's God's gift? He's got some obvious talent, he doesn't go about embarrassing himself on the screen like Mr. Keanu "Whoa" Reeves, but I do have a problem with people trying to place him on the same level as the Paul Newman's and the Robert DeNiro's of the world (i.e. The Legends). And please don't take my slight disdain of Crowe personally Terrell. :D
Heh, and since I never commented on the actual Oscar host thread....I though Martin was great and would love to see him back. Crystal is the good old standby...he's reliable, but gets a bit predictable sometimes. But Whoopi...ugh...:thumbsdown:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I don't care whether you like him or not. I don't know him so I don't take it personally. But when you make the statement that he's only decent, I can't help but laugh. The man is clearly one of THE best actors today. And as far as acting talent, you bet I would easily place him up there with Newman and DeNiro. I've seen the man in numerous movies. He's incredible. All it takes is an objective eye when watching his performances in LA Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator, and A Beautiful Mind. An objective eye could tell you that the man is incredible, and has loads of talent.

As for "God's gift," that's your statement, not mine. Nobody here said he's God's gift. Only your disdain for him obviously gave you the idea that anyone said he was God's gift.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
Steve Martin vs. Whoopi "won-an-Oscar" Goldberg filmography run-down with my personal combined ratings of film and performance:
Steve Martin Filmography Highlights (post-1985):
Little Shop of Horrors ***
Planes, Trains & Automobiles ****
Roxanne ***
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ****
Parenthood ***
My Blue Heaven ***
Father of The Bride ***
Leap of Faith ****
A Simple Twist of Fate ****
Steve Martin Filmography Lowlights (post-1985):
Bowfinger *
Sgt. Bilko *
Whoopi Goldberg Filmography Highligts:
The Color Purple ****
Ghost ****
Sister Act ***
Whoopi Goldberg Filmography Lowlights:
Monkeybone 1/2 *
How Stella Got Her Groove Back *
Eddie *
Burglar **
Fatal Beauty *
Jumpin' Jack Flash *
Made in America *
Draw your own conclusions...
-Mike

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Is this really about who is the better actor? If that's the case, then Whoopie trashes Martin. As for highlights and lowlights, that depends on whose opinion that is. Every list would be different. As for host, I'd prefer to have Billy Crystal, but that's out the window.:)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd probably enjoy seeing Russell up there. Back and forth go the opinions on him, but I certainly enjoy listening to him. His acceptance speech last night (GG) was excellent. I thought his Oscar acceptance speech was good as well. He may come off as a boor, but he's obviously intelligent and honest.

Take care,

Chuck

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
True most of Hollywood is liberal but most of them don't go around giving their political opinions every five minutes like Whoopi, Julia Roberts, Barbara Streisand , Alec Baldwin and a few others do. Nobody cares what Whoopi thinks about politics. She's only an actreess, and a bad one at that.
Funny how I have never heard a conservative criticize Heston, Willis, or Scwarzenegger for speaking their political views in public. I never, ever hear them criticized....only the liberals. Personally, I don't see why any actor shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion.

Jeff

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Funny how I have never heard a conservative criticize Heston, Willis, or Scwarzenegger for speaking their political views in public. I never, ever hear them criticized....only the liberals.
It would be interesting to get a tally of all political statements emanating from Hollywood products, institutions, and personalities within the last 5 years, and then tally them up liberal vs. conservative. I'll bet it wouldn't even be close.
My opinion is that the liberal loudmouths get complained about more than the conservative loudmouths simply because there are so many more of them.
One also doesn't hear too much complaining from people living in the tropics about the winters being too cold.

Rob Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Like many other people I think Whoopie is a waste of space. She was decent in Ghost and Color Purple but since then? I have never found her funny in the slightest, shes the worst thing about Hollywood Squares.

Albert Brooks might make a good host.

I really liked Steve Martin. I think people are blowing things way out of proportion with regards to the crowe comments.

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Oscars are no more than politics. Russell Crowe is hot, Steve Martin is a has-been (to the Oscars). When one is upset at the other (in this case, Crowe is not too pleased with Stevie), whom do you think the Acadamy will site with?

As for choosing Whoopi, the Acadamy is simply saying "We care how Crowe feels. The fan will eat whatever we care to give them."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks