What's new

Gah! Oscars Host... (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they'll bring back Rob Lowe and Snow White to do another dance number (hell, they should do an all-dancing Oscar Show)!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Talk about a step down. From the witty and classy Steve Martin to the Center Square.
Whoopi is awesome in Ghost. Anything else? No thanks.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
"Maybe they'll bring back Rob Lowe and Snow White to do another dance number"
Perhaps the single most tacky moment in Oscar history. Ughhh (Roll Over Beethoven, never sounded the same agian) I still have nightmares from that years Oscars, It wasn't just the Snow White & Rob Lowe number, The whole show that year was a collossal embarassment to every poor sap that was involved in it. it could of only been made worse if Whoopie had hosted.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
How about bring Letterman back so he can bring a dog out to dance?:laugh: When I saw that, I said "what the hell is he thinking?" I like Dave, but he was brutal at the oscars.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see Jim Carrey or Robin Williams host the awards.
Neither of those guys can sit still long enough to deliver a monologue.
Now, Drew Carey.. I would watch that. :)
I haven't intentionally watched the Oscars in years. I agree with a previous post about the fake "live-ness" of the whole thing... and whom ever writes those lame one-liners.. blech!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I could handle Williams better than I could handle Carrey, even though I like Carrey.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
AHHHH. This is not good news. I couldn't stand Whoopi the last time she hosted. 4 hours of pain.
I thought Steve Martin did a good job last year, I had not too many complaints with him.
But I agree with the above choice,:D Andrew Dice Clay :D would be perfect. No children want to watch the oscars anyway.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The Oscars are becoming harder & harder to watch for me. It's one big Hollywood masturbation party.... It's hard to believe that this was once my favorite show as a kid.
That’s amazing. This is exactly how I was. When I was a kid I loved the show. Now I find it pretty ridiculous (the show and not the awards). I did get the impression of “one big Hollywood masturbation party” too. What’s happening to us?!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Actually it might be nice for a change to see someone like a Steven Spielberg or Martin Scorsese (or any other legendary filmmaker) host the Oscars. I'm not suggesting they do this every year, But once in a while it would be nice change of pace to have an individual who's mere name is synonymous with filmmaking at the helm of the ceremony. It might also help restore a little legitimacy to the Awards show, to actually have someone whom respects and cherishes cinema history as host to the events.

I would also cut all the crap out. No long running monologs, No crumby dance numbers, Dump the poor jokes. I would even dump the part where all 5 songs are performed in their entirety.

On the other hand I would not put the winners on a timer, The Oscars are supossed to be in honor of their work in the past year, and to tell a group a 5 sound FX editers that they only have 30 seconds as whole to give an acceptance speech is IMHO bullshit. I would rather listen to Sally Fields, blubbber on about how much we love her we really lover her, than have the same 5 minutes replaced with a Liza Minelli who looks like she just auditioned for "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" chugging her girth across the stage while mercilessly sqawking "There's No Business Like Show Business" which is exactly the brand of horrors that the Oscars so often bestow upon us.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
As I said last year, Steven Martin was out of line in the way he personally attacked Russell Crowe on his big night. He is a has been who is past his prime and not relevant. I would much rather see Jay Leno than David Letterman. I like his delivery of jokes better. Whoopi Goldberg brings alot of energy to the show. I agree that her jokes are more miss than hit. Billy Crystal has been the best host over the past 10-15 years. I grew up with Bob Hope and Johnny Carson as hosts, now there was class.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I must admit, I don't like hosts attacking nominees either. It'a almost like he didn't have any better jokes, so let's constantly attack Crowe. I have never liked comedians who attack the guests, or in this case, the nominees. I never expected that from Martin. But I thought he did a good job otherwise.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i still have nightmares from when whoopie came out in that elizabeth costume. i thought steve martin was very good last year and i loved when dave hosted the oscars. i wish i still had my tape of dave's turn to host ;) ;) .

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Let's face it. The only way they will get people at home to sit through and watch a 4 hour awards show is if they make it funny.

I thought Steve Martin was the best host of latter years with Billy Crystal coming in second then down to Letterman and and bottom fourth Whoopie. I can't stand her anymore. I really wish Steve would return for an encore hosting. I had no problem with his jokes towards Crowe. It just made him look like someone who couldn't take a joke which he couldn't.

I agree with someone above that said that Whoopie was great in Ghost and that is it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Oh No, No, NO NO NO!

Whoopie hosting again?
And this year is so important!
What the hell is the Academy thinking?
This is going to be 4 hours of the worst torture
I will have to endure all year.
Whoopie is absolutely talentless!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I can't believe it.....all of these posts and no one thinks I should host the Oscars? Come on, it'd be fun! I'd bitchslap the AMPAS president for not nominating Mulholland Drive best picture, hire Kelly MacDonald as my guest host and make Aimee Mann perform all the songs. I'd then make SURE John Cameron Mitchell crashed the stage when A Beautiful Mind wins best picture by singing "Exquisite Corpse" Ratins scheduled to go through the ROOF! :laugh:

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Ron - why is this year so important - cant be for the quality of the films??

The Oscars is always a 4hr torture session - fortunately unless you are really an obsessive, the time difference in Europe means that we can cheerfully sleep through it. Best coverage anyway is the after the awards show parties, when UK shows like the Big Breakfast show the stars up for what they really are! Much more entertaining than the overly respectful US media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks