What's new

FX Fargo Season 5 (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This is been known for about a month now, but I saw a passing mention of it that reminded me to see if there was a thread about it yet.

I assume it'll be streaming on Hulu as well, though oddly enough the Deadline article doesn't mention streaming.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ll only be able to watch if it’s on Hulu as well. I don’t have any actual tv service anymore, just a few of the streamers. I LOVED seasons 1-3, was disappointed in the 4th though. Hopefully this one is better.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Viewed the premiere of season five earlier this evening, consisting of episodes one and two. I was instantly drawn back into the universe that Noah Hawley has constructed for this series.

This season is set in 2019 and represents the closest to a contemporary timeline for the series. Certain sociopolitical trends in the country are presented in episode two, which correspond to the modern era (without getting too specific. :) )

Season five is presenting a revised version of the 1996 film of the same title. We see some gender reversals and different character motivations, but episode one heavily recalls the film. As befits the series, it is chock full of references to the Coen Brothers' filmography. We learn more about the motivations in episode two. Jon Hamm makes quite the impression when his character is introduced in episode two. :)

I really enjoyed the casting for this series, although I do think that Hamm's Sheriff Tillman is played a bit more broadly than some of the other roles. Juno Temple (previously of Ted Lasso) is just terrific in what is arguably the lead role of the series. Also of note is Jennifer Jason Leigh who plays her moneyed mother in law. They have a great exchange in episode two.

The kidnappers are not as memorable as Buscemi and Stormare from the film, but are effectively presented. I also enjoyed seeing Dave Foley in the cast.

Besides the various Coen Brothers' works, the first two episodes lean heavily into Home Alone, with Dorothy Lyon (Temple) being quite the MacGyver. :)

Recommended.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have to disagree that the show has gone downhill since the first season. I think this series has enjoyed a solid run of 4 seasons which brings us now to the fifth.

Wow!

This could turn out to be the second-best season of the series. Completely off-the-charts with a terrific cast of expected oddball characters, witty dialogue, and a memorable sequence inside a Quick Mart.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Have to disagree that the show has gone downhill since the first season. I think this series has enjoyed a solid run of 4 seasons which brings us now to the fifth.

I absolutely agree with you. Analogous to the Coens' filmography in that each season is different from the others.

Haven't watched the premiere of this season yet, but I'm looking forward to it. This is probably my most anticipated show of the year, along with Justified: Primeval.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Season 5 Episode 3

Though this week's episode was fun to watch, I think this can be classified as "filler."

I was disappointed that they really upped the momentum in the final minutes of the episode only to roll the credits before the carnage happened.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Episode three was essentially setting the table for the next episode.

I was aware of the practice of sin-eating from other entertainment. (Maybe Night Gallery's The Sins of the Father) There was, and perhaps still is some confusion in my mind regarding whether Ole Munch is essentially Methuselah or if this was an ancestor? (The linked article with Sam Spruell seems to imply one thing, but also leaves it a bit open, in my interpretation.)

Liked the trip to the gun store and Dots' disturbing familiarity with assault weapons.

Also enjoyed the choice of masks the crew were wearing. The mask depicting Barrel from The Nightmare Before Christmas felt particularly appropriate. One of the other henchman was wearing Jack Skellington (I think?)

Jennifer Jason Leigh continues to kill it with her wildly entitled explanation of the role of law enforcement in today's society with an approving Dave Foley looking on.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is nobody watching this show? It's the best it has been since Season 1.

Off the charts!

Juno Temple should be nominated for an Emmy for her performance. She's so fun to watch.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

Off the charts!

Juno Temple should be nominated for an Emmy for her performance. She's so fun to watch.
Agreed, but I'm mesmerized by Jennifer Jason Leigh's character and performance. Ah, the joys of entitlement!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Haven't been posting much, but I am up to date on the series.

After the build up of episode three - I was expecting more out of episode four and while it wasn't bad by any means, it left me slightly underwhelmed. The whole section at the Lyon household felt a bit repetitive.

On the other hand, episode five was terrific. The use of the nature documentary narration was such a fun touch and while I am not sure that Dot / Nadine could pull off some of the actions depicted in the episode, it was entertaining to see her persevere against everything that was thrown at her.

The highlight of episode five though had to be the meeting between Lorraine and Roy. It was fun seeing Roy meet his match in some respects, particularly Lorraine's deconstruction of Roy's personal philosophy. (That had me rolling with laughter.) Also of note, was Roy's response which hinted at a certain darkness that resides in Roy. Terrific scene.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Agreed, but I'm mesmerized by Jennifer Jason Leigh's character and performance. Ah, the joys of entitlement!

She is fantastic to watch as well. A great character. Ordering burgers for the boys was classic!

On the other hand, episode five was terrific. The use of the nature documentary narration was such a fun touch and while I am not sure that Dot / Nadine could pull off some of the actions depicted in the episode, it was entertaining to see her persevere against everything that was thrown at her.

Very clever to use narration this week.

The characters are always what makes this show such a delight to watch.

Glad you both are enjoying this season.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Other things get in the way. I often take a while to get started on a new series (or, as in this case, a new season of an existing series). I also have lots of movies on disc to watch. Not to mention needing to share TV time with the missus.

Last night, I watched the finale of Lawmen: Bass Reeves, and followed that up with the first two episodes of this season of Fargo. Loving it so far. I'm hoping to watch the next two episodes tonight.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife and I just finished watching this new season on Hulu tonight. A little late to the party, but had other things to get through first.

Probably my favorite season of Fargo! Absolutely amazing, especially the final 20 or so minutes of the finale episode. I’m definitely going to have to read that article that was posted earlier in this thread about the Munch character. Very fascinating.

I’d rank the seasons (best to least):

To be fair I haven’t seen any of the seasons more than once. We’re going to try to fit in watching the first 3 seasons again soon to see how they hold up. The only one we didn’t like was 4, so will probably not include that on a re-watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks