What's new

Furiosa (2024) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When you say first one, I assume you mean Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)? And not the original Mad Max (1979)?

Ask Tino, since he keeps track of all the movies I like/dislike! :D

Yes, I mean "MMFR". Honestly, I don't view "MMFR" as part of the same series as the 1st 3 "MM" movies: different lead, huge gap between movies 3 and 4, just a different vibe.

Do fans see "MMFR" as a true sequel to the 1st 3?

Not arguing it isn't - just saying it doesn't feel like a sequel to me.

Feels more like "Jurassic World": a movie that does continue from the first 3 flicks but that seems closer to spinoff than sequel...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ask Tino, since he keeps track of all the movies I like/dislike! :D

Yes, I mean "MMFR". Honestly, I don't view "MMFR" as part of the same series as the 1st 3 "MM" movies: different lead, huge gap between movies 3 and 4, just a different vibe.

Do fans see "MMFR" as a true sequel to the 1st 3?

Not arguing it isn't - just saying it doesn't feel like a sequel to me.

Feels more like "Jurassic World": a movie that does continue from the first 3 flicks but that seems closer to spinoff than sequel...
Agree- Fury Road isn’t a sequel, in my opinion. It does have its strong suits- the vehicles remind one of the desert rats in The Road Warrior- the masterpiece of the set.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That doesn't explain why you remember my thoughts about the insanely overrated "MMFR", though. ;)
Yup. Insanely overrated!:P

97%

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I do consider Mad Max 2 as the best of the 4 George Miller films with Mad Max in the title. It certainly has the best "collision" between vehicles.

I can also appreciate that Miller set out to create Fury Road as an all-out chase film with modern effects and a refreshing focus on the female characters. I very much enjoyed the dynamic between Furiosa and Max. Distrust at first, then bound by a need to work together, and finally mutual respect.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ha. Just like I remember how you liked Fantastic Four!:laugh:

Yeah, I did. It's a flawed movie but it entertained me for the most part and was certainly better than its awful reputation.

Yup. Insanely overrated!:P

97%

Wait: you show me all the positive reviews as "proof" it's not overrated?

Spoiler alert: it's the fact the movie got so many positive reviews that led me to call it overrated.

That's how being overrated works. The movie must be highly rated to be overrated. :cool:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Official plot synopsis:

"As the world fell, young Furiosa is snatched from the Green Place of Many Mothers and falls into the hands of a great Biker Horde led by the Warlord Dementus. Sweeping through the Wasteland they come across the Citadel presided over by The Immortan Joe. While the two Tyrants war for dominance, Furiosa must survive many trials as she puts together the means to find her way home."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I dunno. Battlefield Earth has a 3% Tomatometer Reading. Sounds overrated to me. There were actually a handful of reviews (critics, not audience) at RT that gave it a "fresh" rating.

Sure, the fact an extreme minority of people thought the movie wasn't bad = "overrated". :rolleyes:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No. It's just that a 3% score is more than it deserved.

Yeah, I got your point.

I just thought it was a silly point.

3% is a terrible score. Arguing the movie is overrated because you think it deserved unilaterally bad reviews seems strange - and it completely negates the concept of something being "overrated".

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This thread is starting to look overrated….

Thanks for the post with the on the set pics! Curious about this movie!

I’ve enjoyed most of the max max films. Loved Fury Road too.
I don’t remember thunderdome very well though.

Aside from the magnificent Tina Turner song. Hopefully Tina Turner will be in this new one too!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I believe there was a prequel comic released during Fury Road detailing Furiosas beginnings. I have it somewhere and sounds similar to the synopsis above.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This thread is starting to look overrated….

Thanks for the post with the on the set pics! Curious about this movie!

I’ve enjoyed most of the max max films. Loved Fury Road too.
I don’t remember thunderdome very well though.

Aside from the magnificent Tina Turner song. Hopefully Tina Turner will be in this new one too!

Tina had 2 good songs from "Thunderdome". "We Don't Need Another Hero" was the hit, but I actually liked "One of the Living" better.

There's a good 12" remix of "Living" that unfortunately remains MIA on CD.

I have a decent needledrop of it but would like a version from the tape.

I kinda get the impression Tina doesn't like "Living" since it doesn't show up on most compilations - not even the 3-disc "Collected Recordings".

It was a hit that made #15 in the US. Strange that it doesn't get included on "best ofs" - like I said, I just think she dislikes it for some reason.

Tina did play it a ton during her 1985 tour, but if setlist.fm is correct, she's not played it since 1986.

"Hero" became a concert staple from 1985 through her final tour in 2009.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure if she actually dislikes it. As you say, it was a #15 hit and she won the Grammy award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance for the song in 1986 (she was also nominated in the same category for "Hero" but won for "Living").

I think it's just that she's had so many decades of hits and/or "signature" songs that they have to draw the line somewhere.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if she actually dislikes it. As you say, it was a #15 hit and she won the Grammy award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance for the song in 1986 (she was also nominated in the same category for "Hero" but won for "Living").

I think it's just that she's had so many decades of hits and/or "signature" songs that they have to draw the line somewhere.

Tina didn't have that many solo hits in the US.

9 of Tina's singles made the US top 15.

She can't find room for one of her 9 top 15 singles on a 3-CD set?

Or across the 18 songs on 1991's "The Best", a compilation of only her "comeback era" tracks?

Or... yadda yadda.

And she didn't think that maybe fans might want to hear that #15 hit at one of her tours across the last 23 years of her career?

That's a weird "line" to draw.

Tina's not Madonna or Mariah Carey, someone with so many hits that she can't play them all at one concert or include them all in "best ofs".

Again: nine top 15 singles.

And "One of the Living" is the sole hit of hers that never got played after 1985 and/or didn't appear on compilations.

So... I'm betting she just doesn't like the song.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Tina didn't have that many solo hits in the US.

9 of Tina's singles made the US top 15.

She can't find room for one of her 9 top 15 singles on a 3-CD set?

Or across the 18 songs on 1991's "The Best", a compilation of only her "comeback era" tracks?

Or... yadda yadda.

And she didn't think that maybe fans might want to hear that #15 hit at one of her tours across the last 23 years of her career?

That's a weird "line" to draw.

Tina's not Madonna or Mariah Carey, someone with so many hits that she can't play them all at one concert or include them all in "best ofs".

Again: nine top 15 singles.

And "One of the Living" is the sole hit of hers that never got played after 1985 and/or didn't appear on compilations.

So... I'm betting she just doesn't like the song.

I agree that One of the Living seems to be a forgotten hit (likely because We Don’t Need Another Hero was more front and centre for the film?).

In any event, the following Platinum Collection contains the song:

Platinum Collection, Tina Turner https://a.co/d/3d9ZDVv

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks