What's new

Furiosa (2024) (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree that One of the Living seems to be a forgotten hit (likely because We Don’t Need Another Hero was more front and centre for the film?).

In any event, the following Platinum Collection contains the song:

Platinum Collection, Tina Turner https://a.co/d/3d9ZDVv

Yeah, I saw that this one 3-CD compilation managed to include it - and even then, it's a comp that wasn't available in the US!

My point remains: if Tina didn't have some bone to pick with the song, she would've played it some since 1985, and she would've put it on any of the bunches of compilations she released before 2009.

When a big hit doesn't appear on a compilation, it's amost always either due to rights issues - ala Prince's "Batdance" - or because the artist just doesn't like the song.

For instance, "Shiny Happy People" is one of only four REM songs to make the top 10... and yet it didn't appear on their 18-song 2003 best of.

Because they grew to hate it.

At least they allowed it onto a 40-song "best of" in 2011! They were more generous about "SHP" than Tina was about "OofL"! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well Michael Stipe is on the record as hating SHP. But it was a Top 10 hit, so you can only ignore it so long before the fans start bitching that it's not included on compilations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Happy_People

The only thing I can find about Turner and "Living" is that she "loved the song":

Holly Knight wrote "One Of The Living" for Tina Turner to sing in the 1985 movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, where she stars as Aunty Entity opposite Mel Gibson. The song opens the film and was released as the second single from the soundtrack, following the other song Turner recorded for the project, "We Don't Need Another Hero."

After Knight wrote and demoed the song, Davies delivered it to Turner, who loved it. They ended up flying Knight to London, where she and Turner worked out the key. This was the first time they met; Turner ended up recording six more Holly Knight songs, including "The Best."

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/tina-turner/one-of-the-living

I still think her catalog is big enough that some songs have to get set aside. Her set list often included a couple of Ike & Tina tracks and a couple of covers, in addition to her other hits. And I'm not sure most fans have ever clamored for the track to be included. I'd imagine the marketing folks in charge of her tours and compilations have market research showing the songs the fans really want to hear most. I like the song OK, but it's likely not one of my top Tina Turner go-to tracks.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well Michael Stipe is on the record as hating SHP. But it was a Top 10 hit, so you can only ignore it so long before the fans start bitching that it's not included on compilations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Happy_People

The only thing I can find about Turner and "Living" is that she "loved the song":

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/tina-turner/one-of-the-living

I still think her catalog is big enough that some songs have to get set aside. Her set list often included a couple of Ike & Tina tracks and a couple of covers, in addition to her other hits. And I'm not sure most fans have ever clamored for the track to be included. I'd imagine the marketing folks in charge of her tours and compilations have market research showing the songs the fans really want to hear most. I like the song OK, but it's likely not one of my top Tina Turner go-to tracks.

No - fans have noted its absence. It's been discussed as strange that the song gets left out of almost all her best ofs - and that the 12" mix remains MIA on CD.

Give whatever rationale you want, but it's still bizarre that one of Tina's 9 top 15 US singles is essentially MIA on best ofs and never got performed once after 1986 - and only got played once in 1986 itself.

I've been to like 1100 concerts in my life and own 1000s of CDs. I know what's typical and what's not.

For someone to almost wholly ignore one of her biggest hits is highly unusual.

And "Songfacts" claims aside, those are the actions of someone who doesn't like the song.

It's always possible she liked it initially and changed her mind, ya know. That does happen.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Honestly, I don't view "MMFR" as part of the same series as the 1st 3 "MM" movies: different lead, huge gap between movies 3 and 4, just a different vibe.

Do fans see "MMFR" as a true sequel to the 1st 3?

Not arguing it isn't - just saying it doesn't feel like a sequel to me.

Feels more like "Jurassic World": a movie that does continue from the first 3 flicks but that seems closer to spinoff than sequel...

I rewatched Fury Road last night. I can understand why people might think of it as a third sequel to Mad Max, but I agree that it seems more like (to use a TV term) a backdoor pilot for a new series. I'd say it was something akin to The Bourne Legacy if that film included Jason Bourne passing the torch to Aaron Cross.

Max, while he has significant participation in the story, is definitely second banana to Furiosa. And there's no easy label to put on Max's evolution as a character. In the original film, he becomes someone who loses his humanity. In the second, he regains his humanity. In the third, he becomes a Messiah figure. Here...?? The shared look between Furiosa and Max as she sees him sneaking away at the end feels like something of a passing of the torch, but there's nothing in the film to suggest that Max is a legend in this world. Nobody in Fury Road seems to have any idea of who he is (or was).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
"...will reportedly release in December with 'AQUAMAN 2'."

Of course it will. They want to have something making money that month...:emoji_smiling_imp:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Pic of Furiosa display at CCXP in Brazil, trailer to debut during panel today, might be online after.

GALjX1kWIAApiPn

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
"Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga?"

That sounds clunky.

I guess WB doesn't trust audiences to remember that Furiosa is from Fury Road without being prompted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks