What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (2 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Yeah, but so many shows have weird credit edits for no logical reason. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea has two episodes in the 4th where the main title music was changed to the earlier version while retaining the graphics, and one where the end titles were altered. Land of the Giants uses the first season music over second season graphics in the openings of the UK box set.

Star Trek had all sorts of credit changes in the first season releases starting as far back as VHS.

While I agree that CBS made digital transfers of the camera negatives, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that they made changes to the opening of the pilot, because that's what these labels seem to love to do (I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, anyone?). We probably won't ever know for sure, and I hate to beat this discussion into the ground, but the fact that the edit is so clumsy leads me to think it was not as originally broadcast. And we know the first two episodes of the second season had slightly different segues from the preview clip into the opening titles than seen on the DVDs. The original Nu Ventures VHS tapes confirmed that.

When it comes to DVD releases of classic series, even the slightest, most unnecessary change is possible. Often even probable.
I know, it really is a mess with Star Trek (TOS)... for example:
The first two episodes ("The Man Trap" and "Charlie X") bore a title card which had the title graphic with Gene Roddenberry's name below it. These two episodes not only had the electric violin version of the theme tune, but William Shatner's narration is a bit different than on "The Naked Time" and thereafter, with no pause between "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise" and "Its five-year mission." "The Naked Time" and "Mudd's Women" had the same electric violin version of the theme, but with the more familiar S1 opening credits without Gene Roddenberry's name in it, and also had both "Starring" and "Also Starring" placed above the respective billings of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.

~Ben

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I know, it really is a mess with Star Trek (TOS)... for example:
The first two episodes ("The Man Trap" and "Charlie X") bore a title card which had the title graphic with Gene Roddenberry's name below it. These two episodes not only had the electric violin version of the theme tune, but William Shatner's narration is a bit different than on "The Naked Time" and thereafter, with no pause between "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise" and "Its five-year mission." "The Naked Time" and "Mudd's Women" had the same electric violin version of the theme, but with the more familiar S1 opening credits without Gene Roddenberry's name in it, and also had both "Starring" and "Also Starring" placed above the respective billings of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.

~Ben

Right? The DVDs tried to correct the main title music, but they put the electric violin theme on the first 10 production episodes, which wasn't right (The Corbomite Maneuver never had it before, neither did Balance of Terror). And the end credits never had the EV theme restored on the DVDs. The blu rays are totally inconsistent when it comes to the "mono" track of the opening credits music.

The sound mix for Trek is a complete botch.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
EDITED INTRO
Fear In A Desert City

LONG INTRO
The Witch
The Other Side Of The Mountain
Never Wave Goodbye 1
Never Wave Goodbye 2
Decision In The Ring
Home Is The Hunted
Never Stop Running
Storm Center

SHORT INTRO
...and the rest

The A&E print of Storm Center had a VERY short intro. Just from the frog on. No idea if that was just a syndie thing or maybe a rerun or "make room for previews" edit by the network. Sometimes a rerun print or the wrong version gets released (Dallas has a couple of syndicated episodes in the latter years).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Right? The DVDs tried to correct the main title music, but they put the electric violin theme on the first 10 production episodes, which wasn't right (The Corbomite Maneuver never had it before, neither did Balance of Terror). And the end credits never had the EV theme restored on the DVDs. The blu rays are totally inconsistent when it comes to the "mono" track of the opening credits music.

The sound mix for Trek is a complete botch.
Except for "Where No Man Has Gone Before," they didn't. Only these five episodes had this version of the theme tune originally:
1x01 - "The Man Trap"
1x02 - "Charlie X"
1x03 - "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
1x04 - "The Naked Time"
1x06 - "Mudd's Women"
So on the DVDs, they got the opening title wrong on eight of the first 13 episodes in production order.

~Ben

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Except for "Where No Man Has Gone Before," they didn't. Only these five episodes had this version of the theme tune originally:
1x01 - "The Man Trap"
1x02 - "Charlie X"
1x03 - "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
1x04 - "The Naked Time"
1x06 - "Mudd's Women"
So on the DVDs, they got it wrong on 7 of the first 13 episodes in production order.

~Ben

The Enemy Within also had it (you skipped that one). I heard it was the first 7, but I have never found confirmation of the order other than Mark Cushman's book, but he's such an unreliable sourse, I really don't know. Not even the guys who did the TOS CD box set found that info.

I'm willing to believe Mudd's Women might have had it because the theme and that score were recorded on the same day, but I'm pretty sure it didn't - but my memory of those pre-1985 reruns are sketchy at best.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
In the Most Wanted Edition with the bonus DVD and Pete Rugolo music soundtrack CD is there any difference in terms of content with the CD to the standalone CD?

I believe the standalone CD is a CD-R MOD whist I assume the MWE is pressed? I assume it doesn't have the cover too.

https://www.amazon.com/Fugitive-Pete-Rugolo/dp/B003FSU0CC

Attachments

• 46D232AE-7C91-484D-A9A4-46F3DAA4AB9F.jpeg
    46D232AE-7C91-484D-A9A4-46F3DAA4AB9F.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 47

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
That standalone used to be a standard redbook CD. I have it.

That CD is different from the Most Wanted CD in track titles and the way they were contained on the CD. There are differences, but I don't have the details about which cues are missing or extra.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
In the Most Wanted Edition with the bonus DVD and Pete Rugolo music soundtrack CD is there any difference in terms of content with the CD to the standalone CD?

I believe you're asking whether any differences exist between the CBS bonus music CD, and the earlier Rugolo Fugitive music CD released by Silva Screen.

Between the two CDs, there are many tracks which are identical, but there are also many differences. Here is the list that I compiled some time ago.

Code:
The Fugitive Main Theme                    / Track 01 000-116 Silva Screen / Track 01 000-116 CBS Box Set
The Kimbles Mournful Intro                 / Track 02 000-054 Silva Screen / Track 02 000-054 CBS Box Set
Variations On Fugitive Theme short version / Track 02 055-130 Silva Screen / Track 02 055-130 CBS Box Set
The Kimbles Mournful Extro                 / Track 02 131-246 Silva Screen / Track 02 131-246 CBS Box Set
Tip-Toe Music                              / Track 03 000-108 Silva Screen / Track 03 000-108 CBS Box Set
Sweaty Nightmare Music                     / Track 03 109-210 Silva Screen / Track 03 109-210 CBS Box Set
Gerard Investigates                        / Track 03 211-307 Silva Screen / Track 03 211-307 CBS Box Set
Muddled Rumble Music                       / Track 03 308-352 Silva Screen / Track 03 308-352 CBS Box Set
Under Arrest                               / Track 04 000-143 Silva Screen
Gerard Theme                               / Track 05 000-055 Silva Screen / Track 04 000-055 CBS Box Set
Soft Mournful Gerard Theme                 / Track 05 056-144 Silva Screen / Track 04 056-144 CBS Box Set
The Verdict                                / Track 06 000-123 Silva Screen
Train Wreck                                / Track 06 124-206 Silva Screen
Fast Tip-Toe Music                         / Track 07 000-155 Silva Screen / Track 05 000-155 CBS Box Set
The Life Of A Fugitive short version       / Track 08 000-041 Silva Screen
The Life Of A Fugitive long version        / Track 08 000-127 Silva Screen
The Fugitive Main Title                    / Track 09 000-038 Silva Screen
Life On The Road                           / Track 10 000-029 Silva Screen
On The Road jazz version                   / Track 10 030-133 Silva Screen
Jazzy Saxophone Fugitive Theme             / Track 11 000-055 Silva Screen / Track 06 000-055 CBS Box Set
Jazzy Muted Trumpet Fugitive Theme         / Track 11 056-129 Silva Screen / Track 06 056-129 CBS Box Set
Tip-Toe Oboe                               / Track 12 000-027 Silva Screen / Track 07 000-027 CBS Box Set
Trial By Fire Edmund Hotel                 / Track 12 028-138 Silva Screen / Track 07 028-138 CBS Box Set
Fugitive Violin Motif                      / Track 12 139-238 Silva Screen / Track 07 139-236 CBS Box Set
Brass Variations On Fugitive Motif         / Track 13 000-252 Silva Screen
Sorrow                                     / Track 14 000-103 Silva Screen
Dreams Of The Past                         / Track 15 000-110 Silva Screen
Youthful Innocence                         / Track 16 000-134 Silva Screen
On The Road slow version                   / Track 17 000-109 Silva Screen
Love Theme sans saxophone                  / Track 18 000-133 Silva Screen / Track 09 000-133 CBS Box Set
Love Theme with saxophone                  / Track 18 000-214 Silva Screen / Track 09 000-214 CBS Box Set
Hotel Room Get Busy                        / Track 19 000-113 Silva Screen / Track 16 000-113 CBS Box Set
Flute Violin Motif Variations              / Track 19 114-232 Silva Screen / Track 16 114-232 CBS Box Set
Flute Harpsichord Motif                                                    / Track 16 233-257 CBS Box Set
Bass Violin Extro                                                          / Track 16 258-310 CBS Box Set
Brass Extro                                                                / Track 16 311-317 CBS Box Set
Silly Flute Motif                                                          / Track 16 318-345 CBS Box Set
Soft Violin Intro                                                          / Track 16 346-413 CBS Box Set
Hitchhiking                                                                / Track 16 414-435 CBS Box Set
Brass Ring Mournful Intro                                                  / Track 16 436-501 CBS Box Set
Nightmare Clock                            / Track 20 000-132 Silva Screen / Track 10 000-132 CBS Box Set
Multnomah County Flood Control             / Track 21 000-255 Silva Screen / Track 11 000-255 CBS Box Set
Bongo Drum Chase Music                     / Track 21 256-510 Silva Screen / Track 11 256-510 CBS Box Set
Landscape Downpour                         / Track 22 000-119 Silva Screen / Track 12 000-119 CBS Box Set
Never Wave Goodbye Farewell                / Track 22 120-212 Silva Screen / Track 12 120-212 CBS Box Set
Trombone March                             / Track 23 000-042 Silva Screen / Track 13 000-042 CBS Box Set
End Credits                                / Track 24 000-107 Silva Screen
Oboe Flute Violin Love Theme                                               / Track 08 000-133 CBS Box Set
Fugitive Main Title                                                        / Track 14 000-058 CBS Box Set
Variations On Main Title                                                   / Track 14 059-138 CBS Box Set
Trombone Act Intro                                                         / Track 14 139-151 CBS Box Set
Variations On Fugitive Theme                                               / Track 14 152-309 CBS Box Set
Multnomah County Flood Control extended                                    / Track 15 000-426 CBS Box Set
Variations On Fugitive Theme extended                                      / Track 17 000-156 CBS Box Set
Brass Ring Pier                                                            / Track 17 157-246 CBS Box Set
Trial By Fire Window Shade                                                 / Track 17 247-315 CBS Box Set
Fast Harpsichord Variations                                                / Track 17 316-428 CBS Box Set
Jazzy Vegas Finale                                                         / Track 17 429-438 CBS Box Set

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Okay having compared the DVD and the Goodtimes Home Video versions of Fear in a Desert City, the intro narrations are identical. The only difference is the DVD cuts abruptly to the longer version from the train wreck to Kimble running, with the stock music stinger as Kimble falls and the announcer says "The FUGITIVE!" The Goodtimes tape has the Pete Rugolo brass hit that's heard in all of the shorter versions of the opening.

So, it seems as if this print had the longer version originally and - for whatever reason - they grafted on the shorter. Maybe because people were used to it, or maybe the original film elements had been lost, but the music is different over the title or the series in the DVD than in the VHS. That indicates to me that two different versions of the aired episode intro existed. This could have been done in '63 and this was the print they transferred. I have no idea why it's like this, but there it is.

There is no change in time (other than the compression of the Goodtimes tape)

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This is from an online TV Guide page:

Haunted.jpg

This typographical error kind-of suggests a supernatural episode of THE FUGITIVE called "Home Is The Haunted". I know they did "Ballad For A Ghost", but what might the storyline be for this mythical "Home Is The Haunted?"

Kimble's father passes and comes back to haunt him?
Kimble's wife returns as a ghost?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
This is from an online TV Guide page:

Haunted.jpg

This typographical error kind-of suggests a supernatural episode of THE FUGITIVE called "Home Is The Haunted". I know they did "Ballad For A Ghost", but what might the storyline be for this mythical "Home Is The Haunted?"

Kimble's father passes and comes back to haunt him?
Kimble's wife returns as a ghost?
The correct title is "Home for the Hunted."

~Ben

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Due to my relatively recent interest in old Quinn Martin TV shows (The Invaders, TSOSF) I have decided that my next classic TV show viewing will be the iconic 1960's series The Fugitive. I've never seen the series before (it was well before my time), but do remember the now-iconic 1993 Harrison Ford film, which I've seen multiple times over the years.

My only recollection of the series had nothing to do with seeing the show itself. But, circa 1990/1991 I had an old co-worker who was constantly spouting off old TV show phrases out loud throughout the day - for no apparent reason. One of those phrases he would state repeatedly was, "Richard Kimble...The Fugitive!" ;)

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My only recollection of the series had nothing to do with seeing the show itself. But, circa 1990/1991 I had an old co-worker who was constantly spouting off old TV show phrases out loud throughout the day - for no apparent reason. One of those phrases he would state repeatedly was, "Richard Kimble...The Fugitive!" ;)
So once you start watching, it will be like having a long, untended itch scratched! :laugh:

I've never seen The Fugitive either. I was alive when it aired. But I was a kid and it was an adult show. And I never remember it being in syndication in my area. I keep thinkig about giving it a go sometime. Would be interested to hear your reaction, Jim, once you get started.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I've never seen The Fugitive either. I was alive when it aired. But I was a kid and it was an adult show. And I never remember it being in syndication in my area. I keep thinkig about giving it a go sometime. Would be interested to hear your reaction, Jim, once you get started.

Tribe in Amazon rain forest has never seen THE FUGITIVE. Unbelievable claim being investigated...

brazil_0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.