1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Doug Wallen, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    I generally don't blow my own horn, but it's nice to be acknowledged. Carab and I spent three months checking every note of music. The folks at CBS were also a pleasure to work with.

I, too, would like to single out forum member JLKinser. Thanks to John's persistent prodding, CBS tried some new software to repair scratches in the transfer of CRY UNCLE, with great results.

2. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    If I recall correctly, JLKinser sent CBS his laser disc of the episode and they used that to fill in the bits of missing information from their master. And it took a lot of persistence and effort on his part to make that happen.

3. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    Nope. John DID send his laserdisc, but the resolution was not high enough to be usable. CBS ended up using scratch-removal software. :)

Flashgear and Tony Bensley like this.
  4. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I knew they used a really high-end box, but the other details escaped me. Hard to believe it's been eight years.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  5. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    Was channel-surfing last weekend, came across The Chinese Sunset on MeTV. Heyes music was everywhere. I had to turn it off.

This music keeps coming back like a bad cold. Methinks we'll never be rid of it. <sigh>

6. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    We're lucky they fixed it for home video. Once the series was in the ether of syndication, they weren't gonna go pull it and replace the prints. Most people probably don't notice or care anyway. I gave my father in law my individual sets after I got the Most Wanted Edition. Not only was he thrilled to get the series for free, he never noticed the music changes.

The syndie rerun market is a different audience than the collector market. Just check out the normal posts on Me-TV's Facebook page. I can't even describe the people, but they seem like simpletons for the most part, who never heard of a DVD player and haven't seen the series since 1966.

And they hate The Facts of Life...passionately.

Flashgear, rjd0309 and stevelecher like this.
  7. stevelecher

stevelecher Supporting Actor

steve
    If someone is unfamiliar with the show, they wouldn't know the music difference but I can imagine the show having less impact on this new viewer as opposed to one that watches the original version. I think the music is that important to the overall presentation.

By the way, hello everyone. :)

8. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    On the first couple of season 1 episodes, William Conrad's narrative regarding the fate of Dr. Richard Kimble went like this:
    Most of the season 1 run had the shorter narrative. I would guess this short version first appeared on "Decision in the Ring."
    ~Ben

Flashgear likes this.
  9. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    You're right, the original train-wreck intro lasts 92 seconds. Most of the first-season episodes used the shorter 61-second intro -- shortening the aftermath of the train wreck and eliminating the scene with the croaking frog.

Two of the later first-season episodes, Never Stop Running and Storm Center, use the longer 92-second intro. Perhaps the episodes' running times came up short, and they needed the extra 31 seconds of padding?

Fear In A Desert City contains an oddball intro, consisting of the first 53 seconds of the short version, then an abrupt jump to the final 8 seconds of the long version. Perhaps this cut was made so as to make available an additional 30 seconds in which to run a promo on the night of broadcast?

Flashgear and ClassicTVMan1981X like this.
  10. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin

(this version of the pilot does have a jarring edit... it would have been based on the long, 1:32 version instead of the 1:01 version... the cut is after the line "But laws are made by men, carried out by men, and men are imperfect" and part of the next line is cut, which only resumes from "...moments before discovering his wife's body, he saw a man running from the vicinity of his home.")

Other episodes I know from the first half of the season with the 1:32 version of the intro...
    1x02 - "The Witch" (9/24/1963, prod. no. 4604)
    1x03 - "The Other Side of the Mountain" (10/1/1963, prod. no. 4605)
    1x04 - "Never Wave Goodbye (Part 1)" (10/8/1963, prod. no. 4606)
    1x05 - "Never Wave Goodbye (Part 2)" (10/15/1963, prod. no. 4607)

~Ben

Flashgear likes this.
  11. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Since acquiring the first DVD half season way back when, I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the longer opening SHOULD HAVE BEEN on the first episode, the pilot. But that however these things are worked out, the slightly shorter S1 intro got pasted on there instead. My thought was that it happened in syndication and wasn't straightened out for the DVD.

I cannot say any of this for certain, only that it makes a good deal of sense to me and puts order in my world...

12. Message #4812 of 4833 Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The Goodtimes VHS tape had the shorter intro and that’s all I saw in syndication. The dvd version is sloppy and I can’t imagine that was how it ran originally.

Also, in syndication (or A&E at least), the last two episodes of the season only had the intro starting with the frog. No recap at all. Again, I wasn’t there for NOB, so...

13. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Watching the unaired pilot, I see that it contains the full length opening, frog and all. The theme didn't yet exist so stock music was used.

I firmly feel that the NOB had the long open and was shortened for syndication.

Gary16 likes this.
  14. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I love the Rugolo theme, but man the stock theme was pretty good. I wish I knew who composed that.

It may very well have had a longer version of the theme premiere night, but the DVD version is sloppily done and I can't believe that's how it went out opening night. I mean, it may have, but it sounds awful. I could have done a better job at home on Nero in 10 minutes...

15. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    The bonus disc in the Most Wanted release contains a Series Promo, filmed in Santa Barbara while making Never Wave Goodbye, with David Janssen speaking to the camera --

"Hi, this is David Janssen speaking to you from location shooting in Santa Barbara. Now that you've seen the premiere of our new series, why not make it a habit? Join us each week at this same time for another exciting story in the life of The Fugitive."

I wasn't there to see it, but this promo supposedly aired immediately following the NOB broadcast of Fear In A Desert City. It's possible that the jarring edit of the train-wreck intro was made in order free up a 30-second chunk of time, within which the 18-second promo could be aired, along with, perhaps, a Station Identification tag. Just a guess...

stevelecher likes this.
  16. stevelecher

stevelecher Supporting Actor

steve
    IMO, Never Wave Goodbye is where The Fugitive hit its stride. It's the episode that grabbed me in 1963 and made me a life long Fuge fan.

17. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The shorter opening on the VHS and in syndication was very smooth, and feels like it was always supposed to be that way. That's the one we were used to. The longer edit on the DVD is what's jarring. I felt they made it to try to conform to the rest of that first portion of the season, but it's just so poorly done. I'll look at it again tonight.

18. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    My sense of it is that when CBS remastered the series from the original negatives, they simply made digital transfers of the camera negatives. If the jarring edit was there on the Fear negative, then that's what appeared in the dvd release.

I agree that Fear was always supposed to have the longer 92-second train-wreck intro. Making a 30-second edit for the sake of including a night-of-premiere Series Promo just seems to me to be the most likely explanation. Just my opinion.

19. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    According to Wikipedia, the long 1:32 version of the intro was only on the pilot and on two episodes in the second half of season 1. Does anyone know exactly how many season 1 episodes had the short 1:01 version of the intro?

~Ben

20. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Yeah, but so many shows have weird credit edits for no logical reason. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea has two episodes in the 4th where the main title music was changed to the earlier version while retaining the graphics, and one where the end titles were altered. Land of the Giants uses the first season music over second season graphics in the openings of the UK box set.

Star Trek had all sorts of credit changes in the first season releases starting as far back as VHS.

While I agree that CBS made digital transfers of the camera negatives, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that they made changes to the opening of the pilot, because that's what these labels seem to love to do (I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, anyone?). We probably won't ever know for sure, and I hate to beat this discussion into the ground, but the fact that the edit is so clumsy leads me to think it was not as originally broadcast. And we know the first two episodes of the second season had slightly different segues from the preview clip into the opening titles than seen on the DVDs. The original Nu Ventures VHS tapes confirmed that.

When it comes to DVD releases of classic series, even the slightest, most unnecessary change is possible. Often even probable.

Tony Bensley likes this.