What's new

From the files of...Wha!? Winona Ryder Arrested For Shoplifting (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Link Removed
Too bizarre. I wonder what the explanation for this one is going to be?
Perhaps shes portraying a kleptomanic in her next film and was trying out the method acting style. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Maybe she wants to visit Robert Downey, Jr. in jail? I heard on the radio that she was carrying a controlled substance...

- Steve

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
What, you expect her to LIVE on the paltry millions of dollars she's made?

Shoplifters of the world, unite.

/Mike

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
No wonder the prices at Sak's are so high... they have to make up for all that merchandise flying out the door!

Janna S

Second Unit
Here I go, always being the sensitive and serious one. Shoplifting is very often a "cry for help" crime (consciously or subconsciously). If a behavior just doesn't make sense, like a person with high visibility and presumably some means shoplifting luxury items, it's usually (once you rule out pranks or PR stunts and the like) because something is going terribly wrong (personality disorder, mental illness, drugs, etc.)

I saw certain categories of shoplifters when I was in criminal law - kids, addicts, professional thieves, people who needed a warm place to stay for the night, people who thought they "deserved" something more from the store, and those with developing or acute mental illnesses or disorders. Lots of the folks in the latter category eventually got referred for medical or psychiatric treatment.

Ann or Abby (whichever one runs in my paper, I can't tell them apart) has a letter about this very subject today.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, she was charged with Grand Theft, a pretty major felony. Isn't that over $10,000? That's a lot of clothes to stuff under your overcoat. Then again, this happened at Sak's in Beverly Hills, so maybe it was just a camisole. ;)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
She really dug a whole for herself this time.
I wonder how many hours of community service she'll have to perform? 20? 50? 100?
It's tough being a celebrity. :rolleyes

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I feel it is my civic duty to nominate myself to spank Winona very hard 50 times and make her say she's sorry. :)

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
This is very sad. Back when she starred in The Age of Innocence, her place in cinema was practically assured. I don't know what happened after that (maybe a string of unsuccessful relationships and drugs/alcohol have taken its toll).
She is still very talented (despite spotty recent track records) and just as beautiful (e.g., her recent guest appearance on Friends).
Pull yourself together, Winona! It would be a great shame if she becomes another River Phoenix.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think Janna is right. Most people who shoplift can actually pay for what they are stealing. She has had some emotional problems in the past, definitely not something I see as a weakness, and I expect that has a lot to do with it.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I also nominate myself to relieve any of her anguish after John Bonner is done dealing out the corporal punishment ;)
On a more serious note, I have to agree with the "cry for help" behaviour. It is either that or she is one of the people who gets off (sorry, crude but accurate description) on bilking the system. Or it could be exactly what her lawyer said - she was simply going from one department to another carrying items she had every intention of paying for!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Good thing for Winnona there's that "different set of standards" thing going for her. I take solace in the fact that the love tap on the wrist she'll get will completely rehabilitate her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks