What's new

From the files of...Wha!? Winona Ryder Arrested For Shoplifting (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
"...Heroin Frank."

"That's a pretty tall order Nordberg, you're going to have to give me a couple of days."

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Or it could be exactly what her lawyer said - she was simply going from one department to another carrying items she had every intention of paying for!
That's why I hate lawyers -- they can't just say "yes, my client is guilty -- she made a mistake and will have to pay the price."

According to security, she was caught on video taking the anti-theft devices off of items and stuffing them in a bag. And then she left the store -- hardly what I would call "going from one department to another." If these details are incorrect, that's one thing. (And if they are incorrect or exaggerated, the people responsible for the lies should be punished.) But when the facts are presented so that anyone with common sense knows what has occurred, and yet the perpetrator and her lawyer issue ridiculous defenses, it burns me up.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
On the IMDb, Winona's defense was that she was researching for a role. :rolleyes:
Troubled actress Winona Ryder was acting out a role when she was caught shoplifting in Los Angeles. The 30-year-old star was arrested last week after surveillance cameras allegedly caught her cramming clothes, hair accessories and a handbag worth an estimated total of $4,900 into a bag. But the millionairess, stopped by security staff in the Saks Fifth Avenue department store in Beverly Hills, snapped back, "I'm doing this for research for my job." According to British tabloid the News Of The World a source close to the investigation told how Winona stunned guards by claiming a movie director had advised her to try shoplifting for a forthcoming screen role. He adds, "She told them the director had suggested she do this for research." Pals say Winona, who was released on $20,000 bail, will now seek treatment at the exclusive Promises clinic in Malibu, California. Fellow movie stars Ben Affleck, Robert Downey, Jr. and Charlie Sheen have all been treated at the $20,000-a-week clinic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So what's next? If an actor is caught for murder, they'll claim that they are doing research for a role too?

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
That's why I hate lawyers -- they can't just say "yes, my client is guilty -- she made a mistake and will have to pay the price."
Thanks for the generalization about an entire profession. What you just described is what every lawyer does every day, all day. We make up lies. We screw people. Thanks for coming out.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the generalization about an entire profession. What you just described is what every lawyer does every day, all day. We make up lies. We screw people.
Mike,

If it makes you happy, I'll change my statement to "that's why I hate many lawyers, and in my opinion the United States would be a better place if around 80% of the lawyers changed professions."

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
People go to jail for stealing food, no one says s/he was just crying out because s/he was hungry and this person has some issues and should helped. I think this is just another "STAR" thinking that the rules for everyone else just don't count for her, and guess what I bet when all is said and done the rules will not be the same.

kd

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
err, you're right there, but the emphasis should be on can't. They can refuse to take the case, they can try to persuade their client that pleading guilty would be the most sensible course of action, but if the client insists on a not guilty plea then its their job to present that case to the best of their ability. There are plenty of people in that courtroom who are pushing for a conviction, and a judge and jury who are supposed to make the decision on if the defendant is guilty or not. Its not up to the defence counsel to decide that.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for Winona, really. Clearly she's got some deep-seated emotional problems, and those aren't any picnic, movie star or not. I've never seen her moaning about how difficult it is to be a star or the usual Hollywood crap, so I don't think that's what it is; the bad relationships seem to be a more likely culprit. She's done positive things like going public with her issues with depression, and she's shown flashes of being very talented, though she also has a lazy tendency to take roles that really aren't very challenging and to rely on chain smoking as a shorthand for characterization.
Oh, all right, I just want to take her in my arms and protect her from the big bad world as I have my way with her. Is that so bad?? :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
While I do have some sympathy for Winona, it's tough to really care about her or most famous/rich people. While her problem will require treatment, she has the luxury of aforementioned $20,000/week treatment. The poorer classes satisfy themselves with jail stays and, MAYBE, an hour with a staff psychologist. "Stars" are real people with real problems. They just don't have to accept real solutions like everyone else.
And F*** Saks! She should have said she was resisting the Man and his totalitarian outrages. At least I would have respected her:D
Take care,
Chuck

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Having piles of cash of course cushions the blow. But when the wiring in the head is shot, that doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks