What's new

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites (1 Viewer)

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Yes, by all means watch it again. I've seen it 9 times already and I still love it. By far this is the best movie for sound, picture and general appeal.

terence

Supporting Actor
Ilkka R,

Great job! Right up there with Ming.:emoji_thumbsup: :D

The Incredibles is by far the best (IMO sound, pic & story) Pixar has put out to date! If they do a sequal the story line are endless! I'm not knocking their earlier work by a long shot, but this release has raised the bar very high indeed.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
I had seen this in the local theater, and suspected it would be pretty impressive, but that's some serious low frequency content.

Ilkka, are these waterfalls just the LFE track, a routed subwoofer signal where the speakers are set to small, or the main speakers with sub set to "NO?"

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Mark, I used my computer and AC3 filter to mix 5.1 channels into 2.0 channels. At the same time I monitored the left channel with Spectrum Lab. So there is bass from all the channels (except R) in those graphs, although LFE will overpower other channels in most of those scenes. I can monitore just the LFE, but the result is almost the same.

Tomorrow I will graph few more scenes. ;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Great stuff IIkka, Woowzer: :eek:

No question if your sub is not capable of digging below 25Hz your missing some serious amounts of infra bass (sub

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
It's not very often I'll purchase a movie without viewing it first but (The Incredibles) seems like a slam-dunk for us bass lovers. GREAT JOB Ilkka!

>>>Two words describes this DVD's entire presentation.......Simply Incredible!

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Beautiful stuff there, Ilkka!

Impressed with your charts! With more like minded people doing them charts, we could probably have the world's most comprehensive collection of demo material.

Keep them coming, Ilkka! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kaj

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a new velodyne DD-18 sub :D
and i was wondering, what scene can i use, from any movie, to test that i am getting some nice 'below' 20Hz room shaking audio?
As i'm sure you well know, the DD series has it's in-built EQ. If i bypass the EQ, i seem to get real 'gut kicking' bass (along with a few unwanted boomy areas).
After I EQ'ed the sub, for a nice smooth room curve, i got rid of the boomy stuff, but the 'gut kicking' bass isn't as, well, 'gut kicking?

So yeah, what scenes from a movie, is a best all rounder that i can play and test this deep bass stuff. so i can compare Eq'ed to non EQ'd.
(don't recommend 'The Incredibles' it isn't released where i am yet :))

those waterfall charts are cool by the way, keep it up, i love checking them out :)

thanks

Cheers
KJ

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Kaj, Check out "The Haunting" & "Blade II", both in DTS-ES. You'll hear/feel some of the very impressive bass.

EdwinK

Agent
Kaj, also check out 'Jurassic Lunch', early on in the topic. Several heavy material is there where you'd loose half the impact when your sub cannot go below 20Hz. The final sound, when the dinosaur hits the floor, is an example of that.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Beautiful stuff there, Ilkka!

Impressed with your charts! With more like minded people doing them charts, we could probably have the world's most comprehensive collection of demo material.

Keep them coming, Ilkka!
Thanks MingL! I have to thank YOU for introducing me this program. :emoji_thumbsup: I can graph some other movies too... ;) Old and new.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
suggestions...

1) Resident Evil Apocalyse (nuke, SUV crash etc)
2) Flight of the Phoneix (crash)
3) Sky Captain (everywhere)
4) AVP (nuke... several people have toasted subs with this, plus others)

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks