Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, guys, both scenes are up.

Opening Credits

Ok, this is an exceptionally long waterfall. I wanted to include in as much of the deep stuff as possible.

Most of the rumbles in this opening credits have much energy centered around 20hz. Yet still have healty extension down to single digit frequencies.

Highlighted are a few of the exceptional bass moments. If you don't understand wht the fuss is about at 49s, 1min and 2min49sec, then consider getting a sub that goes down deep.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Underwater collision

The charts show that this scene is as powerful as the opening credits. I'd say that this scene will appear more impressive on most subs that can't dig deep but can growl loud.

When the ship hits the bus, lotsa bass everywhere from 10hz to 80hz. Gonna be loud!

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
Ming,

Those are great! I like the addition of the screenshots.

Looks like the opening is a bit lower, underwater scene just seems lower due the clustering of the frequencies.
Plus I probably didn't pay as much attention to the opening credits, I have to give it another listen.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad the screenshots are a welcomed addition. I'll add them in all future waterfall plots.

I just did a waterfall plot of Telarc's 1812 overture from they hybrid SACD. Looking from the redbook layer, the cannon shots trail off to about 5hz.

Ok, here goes:

terence

Supporting Actor
I'm glad the screenshots are a welcomed addition. I'll add them in all future waterfall plots.
Ming,

First let me say sir....you have out done yourself, and RAISED the bar far as posting waterfall charts (IMO) with screen shots!!!
Nice touch too already great work with time stamps, and quotes from the movie. It is must welcomed.

Bravo buddy, you can't see me but i'm giving you a standing "O" right now.

Outstanding job!

terence

Supporting Actor
I thought the opening credits were deeper, the exstention on that chapter really shakes my seats! The ship hitting the bus is no sloutch either, both are enjoyable sence.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
OMG, Day After Tomorrow! I knew there was a good reason to skip this in theaters. Holy cow the bass! I'm going to go rent this right now.

Ming - I think Terence put as well as I could, ever. You have completely outdone yourself with these charts that you have provided the HTF community and you continue to impress. Great work! Keep em' coming.

EDIT: 2mins49secs in looks like Saurons finger hitting the ground (ala FOTR) or better. What does everyone think?

Lewis Besze

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Check out chapter 12 1:22-1:29 the "choppers to the rescue of the royals".
This should be on the low 10s or even single digits.Very similar to the Black Hawk Down's "ficking Irene" scene which also features choppers.This is mostly infrasonic however and won't be audiable,but it sure should look good on those graphs.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Just done with i,Robot! The bass on this DVD rocks! This is the "You are experiencing a car accident" chapter.

Do becareful with your amp's master volume for this scene. If it doesn't dig as far as bottoming out your sub, it will most likely rattle everything in your room that can rattle.

Lots of 25hz bass info here. Enjoy this movie!

Garrett Lundy

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I have a request for the mediocre horror movie (Its a great movie as far as werewolf movies go) Ginger Snaps Back (aka. Ginger Snaps III: The Beginning, aka Ginger Snaps 3).

At least twice in the film the music cuts-out completely for hightened tension effect and you hear nothing but the LFE "heartbeat". I'd like a waterfall of those scenes

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
I love this thread! I will have to get I, Robot & Day after tommorrow next PVD sale. I'm surprised you haven't charted Spiderman 2 yet. I was watching the Superbit DTS track, and I thought my SVS PB2+ was getting a decent workout. There are some excellent bass moments in that disc!

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to sit thru spiderman2 again. I watched last month during the night. In order not to disturb anyone, I had to activate the mid-night mode and that might have severely restricted the LFE dynamic range.

I'll catch spiderman 2 again soon. Thanks for the heads-up.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I've charted out 2 plots on Day after tomorrow, 2 of the best bass scenes. But do holler if you find more scenes in that movie worth a plot.

Lewis Besze

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I did post one[see post#185] but I don't know if that is one of the ones you charted.Do you have links for those?

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I just finished watching 'King Arthur' and I was suprised at the amount of LFE on the breaking of the ice when they first fight the Saxxons. Has anyone that has seen this movie notice the insane levels of bass?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
How have I been missing the progress of this thread? The graph for iRobot looks intense! Haven't seen it but yet another reason I am glad I didn't see it in theaters. Yes, the bass.

Ming, would you be so kind to graph the scene from Spidey 2 where they do the first experiment on the fusion reactor thingy? There seemed to be a good deal of bass during. Likewise towards the end.

Lewis Besze

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Ming, how about Resident Evil 2? 3 min into the film as the camera moves underground to the "Hive". No explosions just a steady ultralow frequency throbbing to create tension.This should be fun as most of it's fundamentals should be lower then 20hz[infrasonic].

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2ephecks