What's new

FOX MAY BE ON ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST, BLU-RAY WISE (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
A coaster theater not far from me is currently in the middle of running a Billy Wilder festival on their big screen. It's awesome! But one film notably missing from their lineup is SOME LIKE IT HOT. I asked the festival coordinator about that, and she said, "We tried to get that, but Disney isn't allowing Fox clasic films to go out right now." How frigging disheartending. Disney is going way-y too far in their hoarding. Not even repertory theaters can show these via DLP anymore? Jesus, you assholes! (parson my English).
Cinemas can still book Fox titles. A theatre near me just screened Aliens, and Predator 2 and Die Hard are coming up. There's also a festival of Fox noir titles, including Fallen Angel, Road House, Moontide, Pickup on South Street and Niagara.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The main Fox title I want on Blu-ray is "A Hatful of Rain" from 1957- never released in it's original CinemaScope aspect ration on video. Even TCM shows it pan & scan.
But since Twilight or Kino never got to it, I suspect it's just a pipe dream at this point

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
A coaster theater not far from me is currently in the middle of running a Billy Wilder festival on their big screen. It's awesome! But one film notably missing from their lineup is SOME LIKE IT HOT. I asked the festival coordinator about that, and she said, "We tried to get that, but Disney isn't allowing Fox clasic films to go out right now." How frigging disheartending. Disney is going way-y too far in their hoarding. Not even repertory theaters can show these via DLP anymore? Jesus, you assholes! (parson my English).
Possibly she was confusing it with Seven Year Itch.

Cinemas can still book Fox titles. A theatre near me just screened Aliens, and Predator 2 and Die Hard are coming up. There's also a festival of Fox noir titles, including Fallen Angel, Road House, Moontide, Pickup on South Street and Niagara.
Repertory cinemas only. If they're primarily first run, Disney owned titles are off limits. The other studios are happy to take the theaters' money to book from their catalogue.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Disney is hurting now. Streaming is not profiting as well as they hoped and their customers at their theme parks a sure source of major income are being soaked for every nickel and dime. Services noticeably are being cut back and costs for attending are rising appreciably. Everybody is talking about it.
Iger overspent for years collecting IP while making huge commissions and bonuses for product that won't see appreciable profit for many years. So they demoted Iger and brought in Bob Chapeck a pure money man for damage control. Iger was not happy as you can see in the video at the official announcement of Chapeck's promotion. Disney could have made a huge instant profit from Harry Potter but Rowling demanded some control and in typical Disney hubris told her no so she went to universal and created a land far beyond anything Disney has recently done. I know nothing about Harry Potter but the name. I've never seen a movie or read a book and I was wowed by the place. And I am super hard to please.
Pennies on Fox back catalogue titles made in the stone age are I assume the last thing on Chapek's mind.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Signal One in the U.K. has just released Let’s Make Love and Halls of Montezuma on Blu-ray, so licensing Fox titles is still possible.
Has anyone watched those discs? There have been some Fox films released on Blu-ray disc in Europe which have sub-standard picture quality and have obviously come from old, probably DVD, masters; The Iron Curtain and No Way Out being prominent examples. The Sun Also Rises was better but still less than I expected.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone watched those discs? There have been some Fox films released on Blu-ray disc in Europe which have sub-standard picture quality and have obviously come from old, probably DVD, masters; The Iron Curtain and No Way Out being prominent examples. The Sun Also Rises was better but still less than I expected.
You sure about "No Way Out" as I have the 2018 Eureka MOC release and I thought it looked fine? Here are my 2019 comments about "No Way Out". I'll try to watch my 2018 Signal One Blu-ray again of "The Iron Curtain" this month. I did watch it back on April 1st, 2018, but never mentioned the video quality in my brief comments.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
You sure about "No Way Out" as I have the 2018 Eureka MOC release and I thought it looked fine? I'll try to watch my 2018 Signal One Blu-ray again of "The Iron Curtain" this month. I did watch it back on April 1st, 2018, but never mentioned the video quality in my brief comments.
I am sure. It's not as bad as The Iron Curtain but it still was a disappointment for me as it's a film I've seen in theaters and like and admire a lot. It wasn't much of an upgrade from the high quality DVD which is why I'm guessing it came from a DVD transfer. Don't forget my screen size is bigger than yours and that might explain our different reactions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am sure. It's not as bad as The Iron Curtain but it still was a disappointment for me as it's a film I've seen in theaters and like and admire a lot. It wasn't much of an upgrade from the high quality DVD which is why I'm guessing it came from a DVD transfer. Don't forget my screen size is bigger than yours and that might explain our different reactions.
Are Signal One and Eureka the same company? If not then "No Way Out" was a Eureka MOC Blu-ray release, not Signal One.

Also, I've edited my previous post to include my comments about "No Way Out" video presentation. I guess we disagree then about "No Way Out" as I noticed an improvement over the DVD. Furthermore, Fox doesn't have OCN of "No Way Out" so that hampers any type of pristine video presentation. I, too have watched "No Way Out" a number of times over the years because it hits hard to my grandfather's experiences as a young African-American lawyer back during that time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Are Signal One and Eureka the same company? If not then "No Way Out" was a Eureka MOC Blu-ray release, not Signal One.

Also, I've edited my previous post to include my comments about "No Way Out" video presentation. I guess we disagree then about "No Way Out" as I noticed an improvement over the DVD. Furthermore, Fox doesn't have OCN of "No Way Out" so that hampers any type of pristine video presentation.
As far as I know, they're two separate companies.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
So then, are you commenting about Signal One's Blu-ray release of "No Way Out"? I'm commenting about Eureka's MOC Blu-ray release.
My disc is also the Eureka Blu-ray. I haven't suggested that this disc and The Iron Curtain were released by the same company.

willyTass

Supporting Actor

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not those two as yet but I have several Signal One Fox discs; e.g. Compulsion, Man Hunt, Boston Strangler and they all look very good to me, often containing substantial extras.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would like to see the Full uncut 1973 Version of Miracle on 34th Street with Sebastian Cabbot released on DVD or Blue Ray it would be nice to see Given the approaching Holiday season

willyTass

Supporting Actor
There are Fox blu ray's available in Europe like Demetrius and the Gladiators from Spain in a much better print than the Twilight Time release. You'll need a region free player and will have to scout around on Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es. (Watch out for bootlegs there). I'm grabbing all I can while I can. Not Fox, but have the two Steve Reeves Hercules movies on bluray coming from Amazon.japan. There are interesting items out there internationally.
I can’t find this superior version of Demetrius , do you have a link?

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Disney is hurting now. Streaming is not profiting as well as they hoped and their customers at their theme parks a sure source of major income are being soaked for every nickel and dime. Services noticeably are being cut back and costs for attending are rising appreciably. Everybody is talking about it.
Iger overspent for years collecting IP while making huge commissions and bonuses for product that won't see appreciable profit for many years. So they demoted Iger and brought in Bob Chapeck a pure money man for damage control. Iger was not happy as you can see in the video at the official announcement of Chapeck's promotion. Disney could have made a huge instant profit from Harry Potter but Rowling demanded some control and in typical Disney hubris told her no so she went to universal and created a land far beyond anything Disney has recently done. I know nothing about Harry Potter but the name. I've never seen a movie or read a book and I was wowed by the place. And I am super hard to please.
Pennies on Fox back catalogue titles made in the stone age are I assume the last thing on Chapek's mind.
I really feel sorry for that trillion dollar company. Let me get my fiddle out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really feel sorry for that trillion dollar company. Let me get my fiddle out.
I'm not sure that trillion dollar company is hurting as much as some believe as I think some long-term animosity towards the company and those that ran it have affected some stated opinions around here.:)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy to have three Fox films on DVD and/or blu ray that never got domestic releases here in the U.S. and I'm now positive never will. Tender Is The Night (1962) on blu ray from France, Sons And Lovers (1960) from Australia on DVD and Esther And The King (1960) from Germany on DVD. All in very nice anamorphic transfers! All to the best of my knowledge are out of print.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I'm very happy to have three Fox films on DVD and/or blu ray that never got domestic releases here in the U.S. and I'm now positive never will. Tender Is The Night (1962) on blu ray from France, Sons And Lovers (1960) from Australia on DVD and Esther And The King (1960) from Germany on DVD. All in very nice anamorphic transfers! All to the best of my knowledge are out of print.
"Tender is the Night". A much under-rated film, with very fine work from Jennifer Jones, Jason Robards and Joan Fontaine. And a Bernard Herrmann score. Nice to hear it made it to Blu-ray in at least some form.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks