What's new

For All Of You That Still Use Film Cameras (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Kodak Perfect Touch processing.

For those of you that use a local one hour photo, or even an overnight service, try out Kodak's new processing- Perfect Touch.

I have been taking pictures and trying to perfect my techniques for 30 years. I have had about 15 rolls developed using this new process and let me tell you- it is easily the most consistent and affordable processing out there. Sure, custom labs will probably not lose any sleep, but their prices reflect the labor involved in getting decent prints.

I had frequently let expediency rule, and used local 60 minute processing, and even the overnight service, hoping for better results. They were always just so-so. My black, brown, and white dog coming back green was the last straw. Sure, they can and will re-do a roll if you are not satisfied, but still- a green dog? Is their equipment that far off?

But, I digress... Try Kodak Perfect Touch- It is widely available, and you will be amazed at how much improvement you will see. It costs about 2 dollars more than standard green dog processing. Colors are spot-on, and each shot looks like someone personally brought out shadow detail through burning and dodging. Kodak says it is done with digital manipulation. Their website has further info.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Can you explain the process of this perfect touch processing? Sure sounds interesting! Being a filmmaker, I am one of the biggest advocates of film over digital. Whether that be film photography over digial megapixel cameras, or 16mm, 35mm, or 70mm over DV, Mini-DV, or HD.

I guess the convinience and portability is what makes digital cameras so appealing to most customers. I liken digital camera buyers to film photographers as I do HTIB customers to seperates audiophiles. Not at all bashing one side or another, just stating that there are 2 very different ends of the market with highly different priorities.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone found this service in Canada? Toronto maybe? No Canadian info on the website. :frowning:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Local one hour processing is the worst! Sending out anywhere will be significantly better. I agree Kodak Perfect Touch is great. A local place started using Konica processing, I'm trying that out with a couple rolls right now, haven't gotten them back yet.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I disagree somewhat with the statement above about film vs. Digital. That being said, I shoot almost all 120 format 6x6.

The ability to shoot, edit and produce all in the digital realm has been a boom to small, independant film makers, allowing them to produce films that rival the quality of larger budget titles. Granted it doens always have the qualities of film, but if you are starting off, or on tight time frames/budget digital is the way to go. Just don't go off the deep end like George, and belive that digital will do everything and fix everything.

On topic, Henry's is where I take my 'chromes and prints to be developed, for the most part. I would be intrested in hearing from others in the GTA abnout where they go, especially modest pro shops.

PS, sorry about missed spelling, can't get the new spellchecker to work.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Henry's...is that a place only in Canada? Cause I'd really really love to try getting a roll developed using this new method and seeing what all the talk is about.

And Lance, you're right about DV being the independant filmmakers best friend. Slap it onto adobe premier, avid xpress DV, or FCP and you have your own editing suite, complete with aftereffects and a ton of post production tools. And if you even have the cash, have it transferred onto 35mm. I was simply saying cost nonwithstanding, and ideally, film is the standard now, and will be the standard for many years to come. HD can stay home. Not HD tv though, just HD movies.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Nicholas,

I am pretty sure that Costco is offering this new Kodak processing in their out-sourced film development (not the in-house 1-hour photo).

P.S. Don't know if someone else has already mentioned this, but you need to take your equipment list out of your sig because it messes up the search capability -- anyone searching for posts on a piece of equipment that you have listed will get every post you have made in their search, regardless if that post has anything to do with the piece of equipment.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dave, can you use your Kodak connections to find out if you're offering this service in Toronto, Canada? Much appreciated.

Lance, is Henry's quality worth the price? (I'm assuming it's pretty high there because of the reputation)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Follow-up: My Konica processing was an unmitigated disaster.

I'll be going back to Kodak. My only complaint is that the "Picture CD" from Kodak is very low resolution, and "Photo CD" (A different service) is very expensive.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Why would anybody want a computer touch-up the picture? I always demand that none of my picture to be color corrected.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I take my film to a local mom & pop camera store in my town. They do all the film processing there, as they have for the last 15 years. My pictures come out much better than the local Osco drug store 1 hour developing. I pay a few bucks more, but it is worth it to me.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
David,

if the processing is poor the color balance will be all off and you'll end up with a green dog. That's the case with my Konica rolls. Everything is green. Maybe I can color correct in software.

Here are a couple photos that I took last weekend at a waterfall to demonstrate:

Picture 1 The overexposure was on purpose, and it did about what I wanted. The water looks like it's glowing!

Picture 2 This exposure toruned out better, and the composition is better also.

Picture 3 - I think it's my favorite of the roll. I really like the composition of this one.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
PatB, Henry's has been very good to my film. I trust them almost explicitly for my 'chromes, and have only had one frame scratched that I can remember. Heck, I even have had notes come back from the lab explaining why a frame might be "off" or missing.

Personally, they are the closest you can get to a pro lab with out being a pro lab. They won't push process, as an example.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
For people in the US, try A&I film processing out of Los Angeles, who do the best processing I've ever seen. You can buy prepaid mailers at B&H ($11.95 for print, $5.49 for slides, $12.95 for 120). $1/stop for push processing. They even cut your negatives into strips of 6 and give you *real* negative sleeves, not the fold up plastic crap that most people use.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Philip,

Are those pictures from a picture CD or did you scan them?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Virtually all of the movies I've seen from www.moviesthatmatter.org were shot in digital. It's a real boon for documentary filmmakers on a low budget (in other words, all of them).

Film is great if you have the $$$ and the time, but you can't beat the portability of small DV cameras in hostile environments like the rainforest or when a riot is in progress!

Anyhow...stories of "green dogs" sounds to me like the film you've used was in the wrong lighting. Was the dog indoors in incandescant lighting but your camera was using outdoor color-balanced film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks