What's new

Floyd Norman: An Animated Life - legendary Disney animator (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Floyd Norman is an animator who has had a career spanning decades both at Disney and elsewhere in the animation industry. He has credits ranging from Walt's era (Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, etc.) to the '90s renaissance (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan) to Pixar (Toy Story 2, Monsters, inc.) and a whole lot else. One look at his extensive filmography will tell you that even if you haven't heard of him before, you've almost certainly seen his work without knowing it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0635488/?ref_=nv_sr_1

When I was in high school 11 years ago, Floyd was kind enough to allow me to interview him via email for my senior research paper, and gave me so many cool stories to use. it was a really awesome thing for him to do, and he couldn't have been nicer to me.

A couple years ago, Floyd was the subject of a documentary film about his life, "Floyd Norman: An Animated Life," which is now streaming on Netflix.

The film's producers have also created a Blu-ray edition, with extras which aren't on Netflix, which they are selling at www.floydnormanmovie.com.

I wanted to bring this up because, according to their social media pages for the movie, they recently got in what will be their final print run of the Blu-ray and have fewer than 50 copies remaining as of May 20.

It's not cheap -- $24.99 + $8 s&h = $32.99 -- which is why I watched it on Netflix before and waited until now to buy it. (I ordered mine yesterday and it already shipped, so they obviously still have stock.) But it's really, really good, and I think it will interest a lot of Disney enthusiasts here. So I wanted to mention it in case any of you might want to get a copy before it sell out.

I'm not pushing anyone to buy it -- I don't work for the producers or anything and don't get any kind of kickback for referring purchases either -- but I just thought you all might want to know.

If you just want to watch the movie without owning it, it's still on Netflix, for the time being. I have no idea how long their streaming agreement lasts. But for me, it's something that I feel is really important to own as part of my permanent collection, despite my sticker shock at paying $32.99 for one Blu-ray of one movie.

So, I just wanted to give you all a heads up about it. It's terrific.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just ordered this.

Cool. Please let us know what you think when you get yours.

Mine (ordered yesterday afternoon) has already been sent out is scheduled for delivery on Monday via priority mail, so they do seem to fulfill orders promptly.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've paid more for less. I guess it will go nicely next to my Walt The Man Behind The Myth Bluray on the WD Treasures shelf.
Wish I could say he was related, but no such luck

I have never seen a Blu-ray listing of the Disney doc. Have you more info? Was it a foreign release? Even the DVD is out of print, apparently.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen a Blu-ray listing of the Disney doc. Have you more info? Was it a foreign release? Even the DVD is out of print, apparently.

I don't think it's sold through any retail site. It was released specifically by the San Francisco WD Family Museum and they sell it in the Gift Shop and online.

https://store.wdfmuseum.org/featured-products/walt-the-man-behind-the-myth-dvd-blu-ray

Overall it's pretty mixed quality compared to the DVD and it was re-edited with an updated opening/ending specifically for the Museum with Dianne Disney Miller narrating a little about her Dad and family life plus about the Museum itself
Some parts are superb qualtiy, but since a lot of it is old talking heads interviews and 8/16mm Home Movies and newsreel footage it can be
a bit hit or miss in PQ (not unexpected). Like the Norman Doc, it's not particularly cheap, but I was thrilled to be able to get it at any price.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My copy of the Floyd disc came today, which I thought was really fast since I only ordered it on Friday evening NY time (relevant because it ships out from NY.)

They used a priority mail flat rate envelope, which is why the shipping is $8. If they stuck it in an envelope and knew the weigh of it (which they should from shipping lots of them), there's no way it would cost more than a couple bucks to send. Naturally, it's one standard size Blu keepcase. But using the flat rate envelopes is easier for them even though it actually costs more for the purchaser than would ultimately be required.

The doc really holds up to replay value, largely because Floyd's career is so interesting and there' s a really strong narrative arc in the way it is presented. I'm really looking forward to hearing thoughts from the rest of you who have copies on he way. I think you'll be really pleased.

The movie is divided into 40 chapters (chapter 41 sends you to the bonus features menu at the conclusion of playback) which you can toggle through on your remote, but they did not include a scene selection menu.

The bonus features which aren't on Netflix are a couple of featurettes that are extensions of scenes already in the film, with a few minutes of footage that didn't make the final cut. There's also a side-by-side feature showing Floyd's original drawings vs. the final animation that they influenced for the animated bits in the documentary.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's sold through any retail site. It was released specifically by the San Francisco WD Family Museum and they sell it in the Gift Shop and online.

https://store.wdfmuseum.org/featured-products/walt-the-man-behind-the-myth-dvd-blu-ray

Overall it's pretty mixed quality compared to the DVD and it was re-edited with an updated opening/ending specifically for the Museum with Dianne Disney Miller narrating a little about her Dad and family life plus about the Museum itself
Some parts are superb qualtiy, but since a lot of it is old talking heads interviews and 8/16mm Home Movies and newsreel footage it can be
a bit hit or miss in PQ (not unexpected). Like the Norman Doc, it's not particularly cheap, but I was thrilled to be able to get it at any price.
Wow, I had no idea they released this on blu-ray. looks like I'm ordering two Disney animation docs this week. Thanks!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I ordered this also, and will soon order MAN BEHIND THE MYTH from the Disney Museum. The very early Disney channel of the 80's would have run films like these, uncut and commercial-free. Sigh.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The very early Disney channel of the 80's would have run films like these, uncut and commercial-free. Sigh.

latest

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My copy of the Floyd disc came today, which I thought was really fast since I only ordered it on Friday evening NY time (relevant because it ships out from NY.)
Looks like you put your order in just in time. I ordered it Saturday and today I received an email stating that:

We have sold out our final lot of 50 Blurays and have refunded your order for one "Floyd Norman: An Animated Life" disc. Your order came in after the 50th and final copy was sold. Should we make another pressing, we will reach out to you.

I'm bummed. :(

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm bummed. :(

Wow, that sucks. You were the first to reply to this thread saying you bought it after I posted, so I wonder if everyone else will have their orders refunded too.

I'm sincerely sorry to have brought this up if it results in disappointment for a lot of the membership. That was obviously not my intention. I wanted to share it with you all before it sold out, but hoped they would have enough copies left to go around here.

You'd think they would have better management of the sales. As of right now, you can still place an order on the website, which in my opinion should have been removed immediately as soon as they sold out of their last copy.

It is still streaming on Netflix if you want to watch it at least.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't be sorry, and don't stop posting! I was unaware of the documentary, so I am grateful to you.
Also, I would never have learned that Walt: The Man Behind the Myth was available in blu-ray, and I have already ordered that one.

Keep sharing!

-Rodney

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, that sucks. You were the first to reply to this thread saying you bought it after I posted, so I wonder if everyone else will have their orders refunded too.
I'm sincerely sorry to have brought this up if it results in disappointment for a lot of the membership.
If you feel real bad, you can always sell me your copy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks